Author Topic: infetced with chitika ads  (Read 3876 times)

jowings

infetced with chitika ads
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:42:35 AM »
My mom's computer has been infected with chitika ads. I have ran malwarebytes with no luck. My OTL log is attached. Thank you

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: infetced with chitika ads
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »
My mom's computer has been infected with chitika ads. I have ran malwarebytes with no luck. My OTL log is attached. Thank you
also run AdwCleaner and attach log

Malware removers are notified, it may take hours before they arrive so be patient

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
I see that you have run Combofix, this will reset your host file.  Are you still getting the ads ?

jowings

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »
I did run AdwCleaner and combobix. Neither one seemed to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, I am now away from my parent's house, so I don't have access to any of the other log files at this time. Were there any red flags in the OTL logs?

I did notice that the ads say "Chitka" and not "chitika", so is it possible I'm barking up the wrong tree here?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
Chitka is a legitimate advertising site, whereas chitika is not

Does it appear on every web site or just certain ones

jowings

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
It was random. Sometimes it showed and sometimes it didn't. We were even seeing google search results being redirected. Expected Wikipedia and got something completely different.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »
Where do you get redirected to and in what browser ?

Sarah Chitika

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »
This comment is in regards to the "Chitika Virus" that has mistakenly been associated with Chitika, an online ad network.  Chitika ads are not in any way viruses, and we do not serve any sort of pop-up or pop-under ads. A third party has been using Chitika's name on a virus that they have created, which is not at all affiliated with us. The best way to differentiate whether or not the Chitika ad you are seeing is valid or not is to ask yourself these questions:

- Does the ad show a blue link in the upper right corner that says Chitika? If so, it is not a valid Chitika ad.
- Does the ad have a link on the bottom right corner that says “Opt Out”? If not, this is not a valid Chitika ad.
- Is the hover ad following you around the internet and not closing when prompted? If the ad is in the bottom right corner of your screen and does not close after you click the “x” it is not a Chitika ad.

We are currently working with the authorities to find out who may be behind this. To find out how you can remove this virus, check out our blog post here: http://chitika.com/chitika-blog/2013/chitika-imposter-virus
To learn more about Chitika’s Privacy Policy, visit http://chitika.com/privacy. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us at support@chitika.com.

techlike99

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »
It's Chitka not Chikita, see this: http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2013/03/remove-chitka-pop-up-ads-removal.html

Chitka ads are usually caused by malicious web browser extensions (Flash Player Update 11 and similar) , so you should either remove them or reset your web browser.

Then run RogueKiller http://www.sur-la-toile.com/RogueKiller/RogueKiller.exe

Cheers!