Author Topic: Should I allow avast web scanner?  (Read 22404 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Should I allow avast web scanner?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 01:32:02 AM »
Firewalls are stuff that need really some learning, before they give optimum performance. Some users are as ignorant as Technical was, and then just rant what ever comes in their mind. Needs to do some research first.

Take care of your words... they could be interpreted in more than a single way...  :(
If you want to defend Sygate, please, don't offend me. You'll be in deep disavantage  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 01:34:17 AM »
I considered Technical's replies again misleading and poorly thought beforehand.

It's a pity that you come here just to blame me.
I was trying to help RV01 and I think he has nothing against me as you.  :P

Jarmo P

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 02:11:22 AM »
No, I have nothing against you Technical. I am against few of your opinions, like suggestions changing firewall like just that.  Or talking about "bugs".

Even before I had installed Avast's WebShield I was familiar with the local proxy no no and Sygate. Never had a local proxy software before in my computer. You on the other hand were so ignorant that it needed a WebShield to waken you up. And then just keep on ranting.

A firewall as I told is something more personal than an antivirus. Well depends on the interests, but for normal users I would imagine it takes more to figure out how to operate it.
And as I have said a few times, i consider the webshield a rather well behaved local proxy with SPF.
I see no reason why RV01 should change the firewall if he only uses WebShield.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 02:48:12 AM »
You on the other hand were so ignorant that it needed a WebShield to waken you up. And then just keep on ranting.

I'm not an ignorant. I just don't think I know everything.
I can learn. I need to learn. I don't have to defend myself as I did nothing wrong.
You, on contrary, has to explain to the other users why you're talking about me this way.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 03:05:27 AM »
Trying to do what I ever tried here, help...

Could you please tell me how to set my browser to use a proxy:
server: localhost
port number: 12080

Proxy configuration into Internet Explorer:
Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings > Check 'Use a proxy server' and configure it

Or is it easier and safer to change my firewall? ???

Well, it's not that simple. Enabling WebShield is a good protection. The 'problem' with the firewall is not being alerted when a program is connecting and using WebShield as a 'tunnel' (local proxy). I suggest the same as before, uninstall Sygate and give a try on ZoneAlarm (or if you want Kerio, but it seems not a good idea on Windows Me for other users).

Never use two antivirus at the same time in the same computer.
Never use two firewalls at the same time in the same computer.

ZoneAlarm (free) could be found here: www.zonelabs.com

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 03:15:43 AM »
Yes, and if you find ZoneAlarm little "heavy" on resources (even, it's just a hoax, c'mon people... how many of you are running 386 SX out there ?), you can give a try to Outpost freeware.

However, ZoneAlarm is best possible solution for beginners, easy to install, easy to use, very user friendly, so you won't make a wrong move if you choose ZA. By the way, some issues mentioned in this thread, were regarding ZoneAlarm Pro (by the way, fixed by now), not Freeware edition, so you don't have to worry a thing.

If we want to be 100% truthful, let's teleport ourselves on this page:
http://tooleaky.zensoft.com/

You all will find how illusive is all this software firewalls fama... people, go and get yourself one of those hardware routers/firewalls. They can be found for as low as $25 CAD nowadays...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Culpeper

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 03:17:16 AM »
Jarmo:

Avast ye picaroon!  Prepare to be boarded or dance the hempen jig! 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 03:19:06 AM by Culpeper »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2005, 03:24:02 AM »
Culpeper - cooldownpeper, hahaha !!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Don't start, otherwise I will take out my... ughhh.... (you have to tell me how you say SWORD in pirate language  ;D;D
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Culpeper

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2005, 03:27:05 AM »
Aye, it's called a Cutlass, matey!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 03:30:23 AM »
Thanks matey !

It looks like we all calmed down... I don't have to take out my Cutlass (it still has some blood on it... I killed one chicken this morning... my mates were hungry)

;D  ;D  ;D

techie101

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2005, 07:09:39 AM »
Please let me jump in here to make a few comments.

Firstly, the Web Shield has had some problems with BOTH Zone Alarm and Sygate but not in every case.  I use Sygate and the Web Shield on my XP and have no trouble at all.  On another, I have Zone Alarm without incident.  In many cases where a user has problems, it has been found that a configuration error was present usually in the proxy setting.

Sygate is a fine firewall, and so is Zone Alarm.  Kerio and Outpost have a heavy learning curve and you DO need to learn them! (as Sash@  has said)

REMEMBER that opinions and advice given here at just that.  There is NO offense to be taken and there should NEVER be any thrown at anyone here! 

I have read the posts in the thread and do not think that the "words" used at Technical were at all fair or justified.

Proper conduct is essential here in the forum by everyone!

Technical is quite versed in Avast as am I and we offer what knowledge we have whether others agree with it or not.  Technical's information was not ignorant, misleading or ranting!  It was actually sound information.  His suggestions were fine and his recommendation to change  browser was indeed a good one.  I do not care for IE and use Firefox.  Technical happens to be very calm and takes time with his explanations.  We are not always correct but we do the best we can.

In all of his 9000+ posts, I have never known him to be anything but a gentleman.

There is no time for insulting behavior here.  Please keep to the subject at hand and let's move on.

Thank you
Techie101
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 07:31:19 AM by Techie101 »

Jarmo P

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2005, 07:26:40 AM »
Come on guys, try to keep to the subject. Instead this came some pro Technical thread.

A guy comes first to ask if he should turn on the webshield while running SPF.
Essexboy gives a non biased answer.
Then comes Technical to rant away and scare the original questioner, while there is no reason to do so. So I come in and give my opinion, and also trying to remind that not the words of Technical should be trusted as coming from an expert in this matter.

Then comes all the hulabaloo.
Enough said.

I leave you to play in your own playground boys.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2005, 09:53:41 AM »
So, what exactly is this thread about?

1. The initial question was if turning on the WebShield while running Sygate is safe.
2. Then Jarmo P feels somehow offended when people start suggesting to dump Sygate and use something else.

Here's my comments to both of those:

1. Frankly, we (the team) find the whole Sygate-WebShield discussion exaggerated. With the new 623 version, where WebShield is "opt-in" only (i.e. filters communication only from certain well defined (and quite likely trusted) apps), it's like 99% safe. Indeed, there are ways to "hack"such a configuration (which I won't discuss here) but the malware would have to be explicitly aware of the situation, which is quite unlikely... So, to answer the first question, I'd say that YES, definitely, it is safe to allow avast web scanner.

The original poster, RV01, should keep in mind, however, that since he's using Windows ME, it is necessary to configure the WebShield manually (by setting up the localhost proxy in IE). This is discussed in detail in the avast help file.

2. Jarmo P, no one was forcing you to dump Sygate. It was just a suggestion... but you obviously overreacted (instead of saying 'no thanks' you start calling people 'ignorants'. Sygate has its issues. It works for some, and doesn't work for other. The localhost issue is a long-standing one (but I understand that it cannot be simply _fixed_ - because the firewall engine, as it is now, is filtering at NDIS level, which never sees any localhost communication at all. Therefore, the code would have to be more or less rewritten to fix this issue).

But let me say again that the mere existence of WebShield would never cause me to dump Sygate (if I was otherwise happy with it) - because the localhost issue was very mitigated with the 623 release.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

RV01

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2005, 10:02:39 AM »
I would like to thank all of you who participated at this thread ;)

Hexlord

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2005, 10:25:59 AM »
Personally I am waiting for the new version to show up before enabling Web Shield again...