Author Topic: Can I block e-mail from an address that sends viruses  (Read 4493 times)

rraberbach

Can I block e-mail from an address that sends viruses
« on: March 31, 2005, 03:44:28 AM »
A particular HOTMAIL address repeatedly sends e-mails in which Avast catches viruses. Is there a way to block these e-mails before they get in?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can I block e-mail from an address that sends viruses
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 03:47:49 AM »
A particular HOTMAIL address repeatedly sends e-mails in which Avast catches viruses. Is there a way to block these e-mails before they get in?

Yes, you can create a rule for even download the email into Outlook Express or your email program.
You can use a spam killer application (like Spamihilator or MailWasher, or SpamPal or K9...).
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »
I'd say they actually don't "get in", if avast! detects them.

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 12:05:42 PM »
Send a copy of an infected email and the sender's email address to abuse@hotmail.com

Also, make a list of all the emails sent to you from this particular address and include this list in the email the hotmail abuse address.

I thought that hotmail checked their email's for viruses.  :-\

Perhaps you can also send a sample of the virus to Trend Micro. They scan Hotmail's emails for viruses. http://subwiz.trendmicro.com/SubWiz/Wizard.asp?opgWizard=7
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 12:13:48 PM by xistenz »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 06:09:48 PM »

You should be able to add them to your hotmail blocked/excluded/spam list. If you are viewing your email with your browser then web shield will detect it and as Igor says, it will block it, it won't get in.

I too thought that Hotmail did a virus scan of their email, obviously not very effective?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lee16

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 08:54:35 PM »
I believe hotmail use trend Micro to scan their mail, which usually does quite well, but i also leave it down to avast for my final opinion.

--lee