Author Topic: Web server problem  (Read 3569 times)

yematies

Web server problem
« on: March 31, 2005, 03:19:32 PM »
I just installed Avast Home after switching from AVG. WHenever I launch my browser after booting my system (Win XP Pro) I get a message from ZA Free that Avast Web Server is asking for permission to contact the internet with a specific URL. This morning it was Hotmail, yesterday it was Google.

Even though I have my browser (Firefox 1.0.2) set to open on a blank page, Avast seems to want to launch a website. Why? is there away around this?

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered, but I have no idea whre or how to search for it is al these forums. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Web server problem
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 03:38:05 PM »
I just installed Avast Home after switching from AVG. WHenever I launch my browser after booting my system (Win XP Pro) I get a message from ZA Free that Avast Web Server is asking for permission to contact the internet with a specific URL. This morning it was Hotmail, yesterday it was Google.
Seems normal as WebShield is trying to contact the Internet and scan the HTTP traffic.

Even though I have my browser (Firefox 1.0.2) set to open on a blank page, Avast seems to want to launch a website. Why? is there away around this?
avast does not 'load' any webpage.
Are you sure you're not seing one of the pages stored in the following folder: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\English\HtmlData

Welcome to avast  8)
The best things in life are free.

yematies

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 05:14:56 PM »
I figured out what happened, and I'm sorry for troubling the forum with what turned out to be a non-problem.

I have an MS Office keyboard with one of the buttons configured to launch Hotmail in my default browser. What happened is that Zone Alarm popped up with the notice that Avast Web Server was trying to contact the internet before that browser actually got launched. In other words, I was getting the notice before I could see my browser, and wondering why Avast was already asking to contact a dotted quad--just a matter of timing. I was thinking Avast was remembering my last visited website. Obviously, it was not.

Now that I've got that sorted out, I simply told Zone Alarm to remember the permission.

Thank you all.

Offline Vanellope

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 01:00:27 PM »
I really need some help, Whenever I try to sync, it says error, even if I restart my laptop it keep saying "Service unavailable; please try again later" :-\

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 01:11:17 PM »
I really need some help, Whenever I try to sync, it says error, even if I restart my laptop it keep saying "Service unavailable; please try again later" :-\
Hi, reviving a thread from 2005 isn't helpful. Start a new one and provide details there.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0