Poll

Would you like to continue to see the google toolbar in setup?

Yes
2 (4.1%)
No
47 (95.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: September 21, 2012, 08:26:22 AM

Author Topic: Would you like to continue to see the google toolbar in setup?  (Read 26711 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Would you like to continue to see the google toolbar in setup?
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »
With the exception to your wilders link these are all about google chrome, which believe me that horse has been well and truly thrashed in these forums.

The concern is the new issue that you raise about the google toolbar and it being opt-out not opt-in.

I hate toolbars with a vengeance, but they are almost an everyday occurrence (most are also pre-checked/opt-out) installations now that the user really has to be on their guard and read what is on install screens and what may come bundled and uncheck it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bakerboy

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2012, 09:06:48 PM »
@windgrain- why do you feel so strongly that the toolbar has no value? Kind of curious why you so strongly oppose it. It gives some extra functionality that if you want to you can use. You don't have to use it. I'm not playing devil's advocate. Just curious why people have such strong feelings?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »
Personally I hate toolbars with a vengeance as in many cases they provide the toolbar provider far more information (which they can sell or benefit from) than you actually get in return.

But what gets me more than any toolbar is that the option is pre-selected (opt-out) if there is any problem with an installation you may not see that option so you get it by default and we have seen that very thing with installing google chrome not just a toolbar. For me all toolbar or other additional (non-avast) option should not be pre-selected and the user has to opt-in.

Most people would be blissfully unaware of the google toolbar up until this point, so wouldn't have a clue of what benefit it may bring. For those that aren't unaware of the additional options you mention would have either installed it already or decided they didn't want it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2012, 10:35:47 PM »
@ DavidR.

+1

Precisely.  That is why I will use a site such as filehippo to avoid the unnecessary ****.  All options should be, IMHO, opt-in, not opt-out.  It is, after all, my personal computer, and it is not the vendor's.

Still necessary to watch for unwanted additional stuff, even on files downloaded from filehippo.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

windgrain

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2012, 11:38:17 PM »
well you never know what a  toolbar will do? unless you  disassemble it and look at the code???

the reason i hate it is because its another variable, another attack surface, the more stuff is included, the more chances of an exploit occurring, and its the last thing i would want especially with security software which is supposed to prevent such events.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2012, 12:47:45 AM »
Considering the current insecure state of IE, using the Google toolbar within that browser might be the safest way to reach places on the net.
I use it to easily get to my gmail while I"m already using IE. ( Not something that happens very often)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2012, 01:51:05 AM »
OK WHO VOTED YES!!!  >:( I WANT A NAME PEOPLE!!!!!

I JOKE I JOKE!!!!! :)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
printed on 100% recycled bytes

windgrain

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2012, 02:22:49 AM »
now that the poll is over, i hope something is done... ::)

fonman805

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2013, 03:49:58 AM »
now that the poll is over, i hope something is done... ::)
Unfortunately, many months later nothing has been done about the situation.  Today (May 17, 2013), I received a pop-up notice through my paid installation of avast! Internet Security 8.0 that an update to the program was available.  I selected the download directly through the working version.  When the installer started the installation of version 8.0.1849, it had that same Google Toolbar installation offer included and pre-selected (opt-out).

I don't recall seeing the Google Toolbar pushed at me during the last program update, but may have automatically declined it and then not thought about it again until now.  This is the first thread on the subject that came up in a search of the forum, but I intend to read other threads as well.  But even before reading any other threads about the Google Toolbar, I'm guessing that the decision makers at avast! do not care how the users and paid subscribers feel about the subject of pushed, unwanted extra software during installations of avast! products, as it is now well over six months since this thread was started, and nothing has changed.

jbaumann

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2013, 09:17:25 PM »
Unfortunately, many months later nothing has been done about the situation.  Today (May 17, 2013), I received a pop-up notice through my paid installation of avast! Internet Security 8.0 that an update to the program was available.  I selected the download directly through the working version.  When the installer started the installation of version 8.0.1849, it had that same Google Toolbar installation offer included and pre-selected (opt-out).

I don't recall seeing the Google Toolbar pushed at me during the last program update, but may have automatically declined it and then not thought about it again until now.  This is the first thread on the subject that came up in a search of the forum, but I intend to read other threads as well.  But even before reading any other threads about the Google Toolbar, I'm guessing that the decision makers at avast! do not care how the users and paid subscribers feel about the subject of pushed, unwanted extra software during installations of avast! products, as it is now well over six months since this thread was started, and nothing has changed.

Same here. I received the notification about a program update, let it install, and after the reboot Google Chrome popped up automatically and was set as the default browser. From what I read here, it is either a problem with letting the update install automatically (as opposed to downloading and installing by hand) OR it is because I, ages ago, tried out Google Chrome (and uninstalled it again) and there are still some leftovers (registry entries etc.) which cause Avast to simply install Google Chrome instead of ASKING first. Either way, it seems we have to live with having to uninstall Google Chrome after each and every Avast update from now on. Which is super annoying.

Davy

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2013, 09:47:55 PM »
I don't want it, I won't have it and it's sneaky Avast cosying up to Google!

Nope I didn't see the tool bar.... after a reinstall I got Chrome installed - no boxes to tick nothing, no boxes to untick! Get it? No Boxes = no options.

I had a BSOD doing a boot scan!!!

And now I don't care! Because Avast is not my main AV at the moment, another AV has taken it's place on my main drive.

Avast seriously needs to get a grip if they want my custom,  I hate 'piggy back' installs being forced - why aren't the boxes unchecked by default?

And furthermore-:
Avast needs to consider those folks on 'lowlier' computers, thus allowing one to use an older version of Avast because not everyone wants to use Windows 7, 8 or whatever! Let it be up to the user to update their programs just carry on updating the definitions!

Notice how there's nothing in the sticky section about this - can you see any warnings?

Maybe one or two folks on here who replied to my other posts needs to comprehend what is being said before replying - when I say I saw no options I mean just that.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:51:46 PM by Davy »