Author Topic: How do I whitelist an application?  (Read 13900 times)

etm42

How do I whitelist an application?
« on: May 19, 2013, 03:44:57 AM »
I'm having a problem with an application.  The maker instructs me to: "Please check that any security software installed on the computer is configured to ignore the application. Check that it is listed under exceptions/whitelist/trusted programs."

How/where would I check Avast to make sure of this, and how would I add the application to the Avast whitelist?

Thanks!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: How do I whitelist an application?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:11:21 AM »
The maker instructs me to: "Please check that any security software installed on the computer is configured to ignore the application. Check that it is listed under exceptions/whitelist/trusted programs."

I wouldn't use any application that asks for that.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Aventador

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »
The maker instructs me to: "Please check that any security software installed on the computer is configured to ignore the application. Check that it is listed under exceptions/whitelist/trusted programs."

I wouldn't use any application that asks for that.

Incorrect. Hence the reason Avast has exclusions. Every single anti virus does. I have several items excluded from Avast such as MBAM, CCleaner, Process Explorer, ,Marcium Reflect, Google Drive, UltraDefrag.

So etm42 to answer your question. Open up Avast and click on setting on the top right. Go to "global exclusions" and add what is needed there. Its that easy. You can also exclude from the behavior shield. Every pc game requires you to disable your antivirus while installing the game to avoid issues.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 08:34:21 AM »
so....should not the first question then be...what program.....before giving advice then?

Aventador

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
so....should not the first question then be...what program.....before giving advice then?

Doesn't matter what program. It's his computer and he asked a question which I clearly answered. Thanks.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 01:48:31 PM »

Doesn't matter what program. It's his computer and he asked a question which I clearly answered. Thanks.
Actually it does matter as there should be no need to exclude anything from your antivirus unless it is being detected wrongly, this it the time where you want your AV monitoring anything new/being installed on the system so I would be rather suspicious of any program which asks me to disable or exclude from my AV.

"Aventador" I've also never had to disable my antivirus when installing any game or other program for that matter and to have excluded CCleaner and the other programs you've mentioned ( other than MBAM ) seems rather pointless and unnecessary, to tell others straight off to fully exclude programs without knowing the details is just reckless and irresponsible.

Aventador

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »

Actually it does matter as there should be no need to exclude anything from your antivirus unless it is being detected wrongly, this it the time where you want your AV monitoring anything new/being installed on the system so I would be rather suspicious of any program which asks me to disable or exclude from my AV.

"Aventador" I've also never had to disable my antivirus when installing any game or other program for that matter and to have excluded CCleaner and the other programs you've mentioned ( other than MBAM ) seems rather pointless and unnecessary, to tell others straight off to fully exclude programs without knowing the details is just reckless and irresponsible.

Lol. You have a lot to learn and I guess you never installed any games lately. Reckless. Don't make me laugh harder then I already am. Excluding perfectly legit programs from an antivirus is common practice. I use tons of programs daily that do not need to be scanned. Also malware does not hide in "C/Program Files/Priform". Never has and never will. You exclude things to avoid conflicts. Especially things like defraggers.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »
I think it's quite obvious you have more to learn than I as conflicts within avast and the programs you have choosen to exclude are nil ::)

This thread is also about finding the reasons behind why and what the OP wishes to exclude and provide sound advice, not somewhere for you to bounce your ego >:(

Aventador

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 02:13:30 PM »
The poster asked a question which I clearly answered and no one else did. End if story. Does not matter what he is trying to exclude. It's his PC. And yes it's common practice to exclude legit software from your Resident antivirus. I've been a systems engineer for many years and we exclude lots of software to avoid possible conflicts. I do not need any antivirus scanning CCleaner or any other legit software that needs to do its job on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:17:29 PM by Aventador »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »
The poster asked a question which I clearly answered and no one else did. End if story. Does not matter what he is trying to exclude. It's his PC. And yes it's common practice to exclude legit software from your Resident antivirus. I've been a systems engineer for many years and we exclude lots of software to avoid possible conflicts.
I don't know how many times I've heard people come here stating there credentials " big deal " as it's still not an excuse to not get details first without making harsh decisions that may leave a user more vulnerable to an attack.

Aventador

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 02:22:29 PM »
Again that's his choice. Before your next reply ask yourself this "Did I answer the posters question?". Well I did. He asked how to whitelist something so I gave him the answer.

So if someone stop and asks you for directions to the nearest motel are you gonna ask him "Why"?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »
You may have answered there question directly but without any responsibility imo.

Don't confuse Computers with traffic, two totally different subjects with different circumstances and results.

Aventador

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
PLEASE STOP REMOVING MY ADVICE FROM LEGIT WEB SITES. It is common practice to exclude and or disable your antivirus. Top companies such as EA Games and Blizzard tell you this.
I am providing proof to back up my statements. It is NOT against forum policy to show links to aid in someones question.

https://help.ea.com/article/how-can-my-anti-virus-software-interfere-with-a-game-installation

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/disabling-security-programs

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 03:52:40 PM »
PLEASE STOP REMOVING MY ADVICE FROM LEGIT WEB SITES. It is common practice to exclude and or disable your antivirus. Top companies such as EA Games and Blizzard tell you this.
I am providing proof to back up my statements. It is NOT against forum policy to show links to aid in someones question.

https://help.ea.com/article/how-can-my-anti-virus-software-interfere-with-a-game-installation

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/disabling-security-programs
As for the links in question they do say that you might have to disable if you encounter problems ( not exclude straight away as you would ) the other problem you are left with is you failed to ask the OP what they are talking about with wanting to exclude because if there not talking about a game software then 99% of your posts in this thread are worthless which is why we always get the details first.

Now back to waiting for the OP to reply

Aventador

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 03:56:33 PM »
Game or not Mr. craigb...............The links provide proof about excluding or disabling antivirus is a common practice. So did I answer  etm42 original question? Yes. Did I provide links to show why he may need to exclude certain software? Yes.  etm42 asked how to exclude a certain program and I answered him. Its irrelevant what that program is. The EA link also clearly states about adding the exe to your antivirus exclusions and or white list. Which is exactly what etm42 problem is and question pertains to.

I rest my case thanks.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:10:01 PM by Aventador »