Author Topic: win32ramnit g  (Read 6303 times)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: win32ramnit g
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 08:15:32 PM »
In such kind of heavy infection every kind of scan inside windows is useless, you better format all partitions and reinstall windows (clean install).

If you are not going to reinstall windows and just want to repair it, try this: http://www.omidfarhang.com/computer/malware/removal

Hi, thanks for your suggest.

I am sorry, i just wanna ask. Can i do this http://www.omidfarhang.com/computer/malware/removal for my external hardisk ? Because my computer was fine but i got ranmit on my ext harddisk. I want to scanning that from my laptop.

thanks a lot
Aside from the fact that the original post started two years ago, the safest way to clean your external hard drive is to boot into some sort of Linux system and run a virus scan using that operating system, not windows.

ramnit is a virulent file infector, hence Omid Farhang's warning above especially applies.

I'd disconnect the windows drive and any other secondary drive (if you have one) first, and run the Linux program as a Live CD.  Then and only then would I connect the sick external drive.  Using Linux as a Live CD will allow you to run online scans of the external drive, as many as you wish, because Linux is not affected by the windows version of ramnit.  Since it is being run as a Live CD, it is running only in system memory, and will vanish on system reboot.  You will have to reconnect your system and secondary hard drives to get back into windows, tho.

No guarantees can ever be given when dealing with ramnit.  Either way, you are going to lose a few/many files.

Same thing can be done to the windows system drive when you boot as a live CD if you need to check that.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803