Author Topic: Safe zone problem (SOLVED!)  (Read 12446 times)

bilnrobn1

Re: Safe zone problem (SOLVED!)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 01:59:16 AM »
This thread goes back to February. When I marked it 'Solved' what was solved was my problem getting Avast to accept my licence number. The SafeZone problem persisted and still does. I felt the people who tried to assist had done their best, and there was no use persisting with it here. I then posted a ticket at Avast and throughout the intervening period their tech guy tried very hard to help but to no avail. My problem was, (or rather is as I still have it). exactly as you describe djh53. What I have done is stop using SafeZone and ask for my money back. My intention is to use Avast Free until I next buy a new computer and then try it again. I figure it is a Vista problem and will not be there with Windows 8 or later. So far no money back, but my ticket has progressed from 'Received' to 'Open'.

Bill 

djh53

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 07:21:41 AM »
Let's try something to rule certain things out:
1 Boot your system
2 Wait e.g. 5 minutes, so we know for sure everything is loaded.
3 Shut down the system.
Any problems?
No problems

If so, tell them.
If not try this:
1 Boot your system
2 Wait e.g. 5 minutes, so we know for sure everything is loaded.
3 Start safezone and do nothing in it.
4 Wait e.g. 2 minutes
5 Shut down safezone
6 Wait e.g. 2 minutes
7 Shutdown the system.
Any problems?
If so which one(s) ?
Same problem: EXPLORER.EXE hangs the PC.  This time, PC was left on for 30 minutes after "Logging off..." msg appeared - still hangin'!

Next (we are almost there ;) ),
1) Boot your system
2) Get and run OTL as described in this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
Don't worry, I don't expect malware at the moment.
It is just to see what is running
OTL logs produced, but I don't see any way to attach them.  What am I missing?

djh53

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 10:31:07 AM »
Eddy, OTL files attached.  I had a lot of trouble with the video and audio challenges; hopefully this will get through.  Bill, thanks for your feedback.  FYI, Safezone works with Windows 7.

djh53

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »
Eddy, I tried disabling DEP and re-booting - no joy, so DEP's now back on default.  Disabling UA could be an option, but I'm loathe to go there.  I've also tried disabling the Avast! add-on for Firefox - again, didn't win.  FYI, Chrome is our default browser, but my wife likes Firefox so . . . .

bilnrobn1

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 03:19:14 AM »
Just to close my activity on this thread, I've now had approval of my refund and have uninstalled Avast Pro and reinstalled Avast Free. Thanks to all for their efforts to help me solve the SafeZone thing.

djh53

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »
Avast tech support advised today that there is an issue with Safezone and Vista, and recommended that Safezone not be used with Vista.  We had already figured that out, and purchased a Windows 7 PC to replace the Vista box.

Having worked in the IT industry for many years and experienced first-hand the hassles caused by Microsoft upgrades of operating systems and programs, Avast's advice came as little surprise.  Don't worry, guys.  You're hardly the first to have to deal with broken code caused by a change in Microsoft functionality.

We're happy with Avast.  Unlike Bill, we're not interested in a refund.  Times change.  We move on.

bilnrobn1

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 02:29:44 AM »
Nice to know my complaint was justified; it may have played a small part in preventing a lot of frustration by Vista users in future. Don't worry djh53, I'll be back when I next upgrade. Meantime I'll manage with Avast! Free. Thanks for all the help you have given.