Author Topic: WormGibeF  (Read 3589 times)

gingerlily

WormGibeF
« on: April 02, 2005, 11:50:04 PM »
This worm was found in my docs.and settings by a standalone AV scanner called Clamwin. It found 3 instances as per report:

C:\Documents and Settings\Ann1\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\qw6nbw37.default\Mail\pop.homechoice.co.uk\Inbox: Worm.Gibe.F FOUND

C:\Documents and Settings\Ann1\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\qw6nbw37.default\Mail\pop.homechoice.co.uk\Junk: Worm.Gibe.F FOUND

C:\Documents and Settings\Ann1\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\qw6nbw37.default\Mail\pop.homechoice.co.uk\Trash: Worm.Gibe.F FOUND

I ran an Avast scan over my Docs. and Settings...nothing found.

Clamwin did not remove the problems it found...Avast did not find evidence of the worm..Does Avast detect worms?

If not has anyone any idea of how to get rid of it?

Please help.

Ricky2005

Re: WormGibeF
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 11:57:06 PM »
try doing a real long scan on avast.

neiby

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 06:24:26 AM »
Wow. That's a relatively nasty worm. It concerns me that avast didn't catch on a normal scan. As suggested, set your on-demand scanner settings to thorough and search those folders.

Does anyone have any ideas why that worm wasn't caught?

John

neiby

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 06:33:24 AM »
Hmm...I hate to follow up my own post but it appears that only Gibe-A is in the Avast VPS, so perhaps that's why Gibe-F was not caught. Or, are they similar enough that the Gibe-A signature should have allowed Avast to catch the other variants?

Ricky2005

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 12:17:27 PM »
contact a admin who makes avast and ask them to add it there might ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 02:37:35 PM »
Hmm...I hate to follow up my own post but it appears that only Gibe-A is in the Avast VPS, so perhaps that's why Gibe-F was not caught. Or, are they similar enough that the Gibe-A signature should have allowed Avast to catch the other variants?

If you believe this is an undetected virus, then if you can zip and password protect ('virus', will do) the suspect file and send it to virus @ avast.com (no spaces).

Give a brief outline of the problem, the fact that you believe it to be a new virus and include the password in the body of the email. Some info on the avast version and VPS number (see about avast {right click avast icon}) will also help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security