Author Topic: how to stop Info and Update popups  (Read 3394 times)

sys-eng

how to stop Info and Update popups
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:03:23 AM »
Avast Internet Security has 4 groups of popup messages.  I wan to stop the Info and Update type of messages from popping up.  I do not care if Avast updated again.  I have left the message display setting blank and even 0; however, the messages are still displayed.  I do not understand how a message is displayed at all if the display time in seconds is zero.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: how to stop Info and Update popups
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 10:44:52 AM »
The value basically means the time after which the popup disappears. 0 = never disappears
The update popup specifically can be disabled in Settings / Updates / Details.

sys-eng

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 02:21:29 AM »
I believe there is much being lost in translation of languages.  Here in the western world (USA), what you describe is considered a convoluted process.  If there is a settings tab labeled "Popups", then that is where the settings for popups should be set - - not in another submenu labeled Updates.

In the Popup settings menu, the setting field is preceded by the description:
"Duration in seconds:"

The Description of the four types of popups include "popup" and "displayed".  In English, this is understood to mean that the duration of the subject, popups, is displayed for a specified duration in seconds. Therefore, zero seconds would be the duration of the display which would equate to no display.

Perhaps adding a block to be checked that says "No popups" should be added for clarity.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 02:42:57 AM »
To completely stop "all" pop-ups try GUI>Settings>Silent/Gaming mode>tick the proper box  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

sys-eng

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:48 AM »
I still want the last two groups of popups to indicate when Avast has detected something or acted upon something.  I just want to block the first two groups.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »
The auto update notification can be disabled avastUI > Settings > Updates - scroll down to Details expand the option and uncheck the 'Show notification box after automatic update.

The info group popups has no similar area to disable it as it could originate from multiple areas, so all you can realistically do is set the display duration/interval to 1 second.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security