Author Topic: Avast Free Auto Renewed for 3 More Months -- Why/How?  (Read 20794 times)

Aventador

Re: Avast Free Auto Renewed for 3 More Months -- Why/How?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »
Nothing complicated. Making mountains out of mole hills. Its expires either keep it or remove it. Have you ever installed trial software? I am sure you have. We all have. Once the trial has expired you either pay for it or remove it. Same concept. There is no problem here.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
I don't know why your avast software re-registered, whether avast does it as an offer or it's a bug who knows ??? but the fact of the matter is it wouldn't have happened if you removed the program once it expired if you weren't willing to re-register directly.

Avast might not state anywhere in writing that you should uninstall when finished with the product as I believe that should be just common sense and users are responsible for there own computer and any software they install theron.

Aventador

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »
I don't know why your avast software re-registered, whether avast does it as an offer or it's a bug who knows ??? but the fact of the matter is it wouldn't have happened if you removed the program once it expired if you weren't willing to re-register directly.

Avast might not state anywhere in writing that you should uninstall when finished with the product as I believe that should be just common sense and users are responsible for there own computer and any software they install theron.

Thank you. Exactly what I have been saying all along.

ManyQs

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 09:06:08 PM »
I would hope that a bug like that would be of interest to their tech department.

As for my not having removed the expired product it is my choice unless I agree to the company's request to do so.  I had a valid reason not to do so and I haven't yet seen anything that states I was required to do so.  I have also yet to see the test/research paper that could be the rationale for the claim that an inactive anti-virus product can interfere with an active one.  I see Avast stating an inactive virus program can cause installation problems for their product, but I haven't seen the print that specifically states that an inactive product causes problems for an active one.  And I have seen writings from people that are supposed to know about this business that state that, in fact, an inactive anti-virus program does not cause problems for the active one.

BUT the matter that most concerns me right now is why that product was reactivated.  No matter the fact that I had not removed it.  That is not an issue, as I did not agree to do that.  And I haven't found anything that stated they might reactivate it after a certain number of days.

Oh well, we'll get to the bottom of this, for sure.  And I appreciate your help and input, craigb.  What we need is the tech folks to look into this.  That's a must.  Obviously.

Aventador

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »
You CANNOT at ANYTIME have TWO antivirus programs installed. Its basic common knowledge. There is no getting to the bottom line. The problem was caused by you. Not Avast.

ManyQs

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »
Okay, so I have a record here indicating that Avast Team member Milos spent a fair bit of time last night (about a quarter past 7pm) UTC reading this thread and we are now about halfway through the business day in the Czech Republic, so is it safe to assume the Avast Team will be informing me/us of what they have found out?

I mean, the key point of this thread is why this happened.  How does an expired Avast account — expired at the conclusion of a one-year contract — how is it that that expired account came back to life?

Simple question.  Easy to understand question.  Maybe the answer won't be so easy, but now that there's documentation that an Avast Team member is aware of the question being on the table, so to speak, isn't it safe to assume that courtesy requires this company answer the question or inform me they are looking for the answer?  Just basic courtesy, that's all.  I'm not so sure this should have dragged out for as long as it has, but still ...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 02:26:01 PM »
Don't know where you got your stats of the time spent viewing this topic or how accurate that timing might be. But Milos is in the virus labs team so I rather doubt he has an in depth knowledge of this area.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ManyQs

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 03:21:10 PM »
Don't know where you got your stats of the time spent viewing this topic or how accurate that timing might be. But Milos is in the virus labs team so I rather doubt he has an in depth knowledge of this area.

I appreciate the feedback, DavidR.  Appreciate, too, that Milos might not be within his field of expertise when he reads about a particular problem a customer posts about, but I would hope that these engineers help each other out once in a while when it concerns customer service.  One sees something that needs attention and a quick message to the appropriate section and you have good customer service.  Online customer service, I should add.

In fact, DavidR, you were involved in what I think should be viewed as the yardstick for all customer support services wordwide.  And especially here, as this is where it happened.

December 22, 2012, 03:33:33 PM - The OP

December 22, 2012, 03:39:19 PM  - Avast Volunteer respondent

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 05:04:04 PM » Avast Volunteer respondent (That was you, DavidR
"It is 3rd party support service and I have reported this to an avast Team member."

December 23, 2012, 09:26:35 PM - Avast Team member

All on record here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=111683.0

Oh yeah, that was on a weekend.  Pretty darn good for a weekend to have an Avast team member responding within 30 hours.

Definitely the yardstick to judge by.

alan3333

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 07:05:21 PM »
Wins the prize for weirdest thread ever. :-\

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 07:17:23 PM »

Spot on Alan
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »

;D ;D ;D

ManyQs

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »

What might it be that you find weird about the thread, alan3333?

You think it might be weird that I didn't uninstall an expired Avast product?

I only see in the agreement I signed with Avast that I am to uninstall the software if I commit a violation of my agreement with Avast.  I committed no such violation.

I have had nobody point me to documentation that Avast wrote that stated their customers must uninstall the expired product within such-and-such number of days after it expired.  Have you seen such documentation?  If you have, I'd appreciate the link to the page, thank you.

You think it might be weird that an expired product was reactivated without consulting me first?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 09:47:08 PM »
Maybe it was your reward for all the help you've been on this forum ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

FastMiddle

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2013, 10:36:24 PM »
I don't see why everyone is so worked up about this.
I am the only one that sees that he has a point? As long has he didn't get a satisfactory answer there is no reason to close the threat. I am guessing he is looking for an answer besides "it could be some sort of bug".

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2013, 11:19:35 PM »
I don't see why everyone is so worked up about this.
I am the only one that sees that he has a point? As long has he didn't get a satisfactory answer there is no reason to close the threat. I am guessing he is looking for an answer besides "it could be some sort of bug".

+1