Author Topic: Avast Free Auto Renewed for 3 More Months -- Why/How?  (Read 20792 times)

bhaka-khan

Re: Avast Free Auto Renewed for 3 More Months -- Why/How?
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2013, 05:00:28 PM »
I don't see why everyone is so worked up about this.
I am the only one that sees that he has a point? As long has he didn't get a satisfactory answer there is no reason to close the threat. I am guessing he is looking for an answer besides "it could be some sort of bug".
+1

If you follow this forum a while, you'll see, that it is common sense here that some sort of "überevangelist" (lol-as a german i can tell this is a really ridiculous abuse of my mother tongue) people (don't want to tell names) frequently stand out with their impolite behaviour - i think you should ignore those wannabe moderators/so-called volunteers ... its all a sort of ego thing with those people... maybe too much free time or something like that...

now to your issue:
i think your license renewed because avast ran a program update - with the new avast version, your account is automatically renewed.

It is indeed questionable...because those updates are not directly user-authorized

well - for a normal user this is some sort of comfort - but in your case it is not , i can understand that

i share your thoughts about the ignorance of the avast team - it is not the first time here in this forum...but hey - you are a free user...do not
forget that...

I learned that avast free users (esp. with win8) encounter lots of problems with this piece of software over the time - i only mention: BSODs,Blackscreens,System boot issues (with avast, my win 8 needed 15minutes to boot because of the system integrity check whatsoever), several issues with chrome, dubious network shield patches and so on and so on - it never ends...

free users are some sort of guniea-pig - i guess...

i strongly recommend to deinstall avast free and use a mature piece of security software instead - to my eyes avast 7 and 8 never went out of beta status....although the team claims the opposite...

and the avast team....well yes ... my experience tells, they can write nice words, if they find the time, but indeed that is very seldom and on the other hand there are many situations, where nice words don't help anything...but again: you are a free user ... nobody cares about you.. thats the hard truth...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »
you are a free user ... nobody cares about you.. thats the hard truth...
That's a complete misconception, all users free or paid are given the same help here on the forum, paid users have the extra opportunity to use the Avast technical support options as well as what is given here.

bhaka-khan

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
That's a complete misconception,[...]
please don't tell me about my conception - its mine

not yours

thanks

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 05:17:41 PM »
That's a complete misconception,[...]
please don't tell me about my conception - its mine

not yours

thanks
No one said it wasn't your conception but the matter in hand was your conception was supplying false information.

You complain about the avast help and mentioned having a problem of your own with avast yet this is the first time you've registered on this forum, I'm sure if you had these issues we would have heard from you sooner would we not ???
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:22:40 PM by craigb »

bhaka-khan

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013, 05:23:41 PM »
conception never supplies false information

it is per definitionem purely subjective - nobody made objective conclucions - well at least it wasn't me...

You complain about the avast help and mentioned having a problem of your own with avast yet this is the first time you've registered on this forum, I'm sure if you had these issues we would have heard from you sooner would we not ???
well - talking about misconceptions:

the truth is i was here (registered) some time ago but when i dropped avast i wanted my account here deleted...

giving avast another chance i tried it out again and re-registerd...
I see, that this is not obvious and requires some level of intellect to consider this possible before trying to offend people this way...
my apologies...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:27:27 PM by bhaka-khan »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »
So I read this thread one more time and I have to say I'm also a bit unsure what it's really all about.

Yes, Avast, when expired, sometimes gives the user a free grace period (after expiration), by auto-renewing its license for a little bit. This has been a feature of the product for at least a couple of years now.
We figured that it's better to keep the user in the loop than to leave his PC unprotected.

In practice, this is a fairly rare case though - mainly because of all the expiration messaging built into the product. Realize that in the last phase (product almost expired, or already expired), the expiration screens are displayed every 4 hours (and the actual act of re-registering takes maybe like 30 seconds, - or 1 minute if you're slow).

To that end, I have to say that I feel like ManyQs is maybe more about testing all sorts of corner cases than about actually using the product to let it do its job - i.e. protect his PCs (as most of our users do). I mean, how likely is the scenario where he ignores all the re-registration nag screens thrown at him every 4 hours (and every reboot), leaves the product completely expire (again keeping up with all the renewal screens) and then goes ahead and installs MSE on the box, without removing Avast first? And at the end of the day, be concerned that Avast eventually shut up and somehow miraculously reactivated itself?

If you don't like the product, that's fine, just get rid of it and move on. If you do like it and want to use it, we will be glad to welcome you back - and maybe even assist you with exploring some of the hidden features like the one you have just discovered - but I'm generally not a big fan of the tone you have chosen here, where you basically start blaming everyone around you and coming up with hypothetical corner cases where a perfectly valid feature is interpreted as something evil.

On a side note, full compatibility with MSE (Win7) and Windows Defender (Win8) is in our test matrix, meaning that you should be fine running these two specific AVs in parallel (I'm not saying I encourage you to do so, mainly for performance reasons, but I'm just saying that you shouldn't have any problems if you still decide to run both of the products together).

Thanks
Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ManyQs

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »
So I read this thread one more time and I have to say I'm also a bit unsure what it's really all about.

I wanted an explanation of what was going on and if that wasn't made clear in the OP with this question,

Can anyone explain this, please?

And then 12 hours after the OP, here:

- - - 125291.msg944727#msg944727 date=1369452953

Having waited for over 12 hours for a response and seeing nothing I begin to get very nervous.

Nobody from Avast's technical department knows about this?

Or it is so rare that Avast staff is hesitant to respond?

Or somebody has gone to great lenghts to highjack the Avast program on my computer that ...

That last one just couldn't be possible, could it?

If the questions posted in those two posts were not clear enough in meaning, then ...

*****************************************************************************************

To move on:

To that end, I have to say that I feel like ManyQs is maybe more about testing all sorts of corner cases than about actually using the product to let it do its job - i.e. protect his PCs (as most of our users do). I mean, how likely is the scenario where he ignores all the re-registration nag screens thrown at him every 4 hours (and every reboot), leaves the product completely expire (again keeping up with all the renewal screens) and then goes ahead and installs MSE on the box, without removing Avast first? And at the end of the day, be concerned that Avast eventually shut up and somehow miraculously reactivated itself?

- - - 125291.msg945848#msg945848 date=1369676585

I figured somebody was going to ask that question, eventually.

I think you will recall that I stated last year I had to leave Avast.  No need to go back into why.  So I have allowed the licenses to expire on the other units one-by-one and on the Epson I noticed there was a kind of survey about why I was leaving or something like that and I thought that was fair enough and was going from page to page of the questions and then hit one page after stating on the previous that I would get another product and that next page asked me how much I was going to pay -- multiple choice, if I remember correctly.  At that time I thought that was a bit intrusive and just closed the survey.  Then we got to talking about it here and one of my folks said I should have been doing screenshots and gone ahead and finished it, so I was planning on doing just that with this Dell, but never had the time.  Then presto, come back from dinner one day, fire up the computer to go back to work and see I have a reactivated product.  Heck, it had only been about 10 or 11 days since it had expired.  Can't be that is too long.  Anyway, that answers your question, I think.

ManyQs was not testing all sorts of corner cases, as he has been accused.  ManyQs was minding his own business and simply delaying the removal of the product per the explanation which has already been posted in this thread.

And as that was already posted and it would seem that the company employee quoted missed that explanation after stating he has read the thread at least twice I repost it here.

The matter of the company employee accusing me of ulterior motives will not be addressed here in public.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:11:30 PM by ManyQs »