Author Topic: Avast 8 BSOD.. went back to older Avast and it fixed it  (Read 29874 times)

ChasErnst

Avast 8 BSOD.. went back to older Avast and it fixed it
« on: May 25, 2013, 12:05:22 AM »
I have been using Avast for many years and never ever had any issues with it. Recently rebuilt my machine and installed the latest Avast and boom... constant Blue screen of death. Because I never had issues with Avast before I thought for sure it was another bogus driver or user error etc. Reinstalled Vista 64 and as soon as Avast went on... blue screen.

I have a AMD 8 core 990fx based machine, 16gb ram

Like the subject says... went back to the older version of Avast and every thing is smooth as butter.

couldn't put the dmp file in here... too big... so here is a link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7155952/Mini052413-01.zip

here is what WhoCrashed is saying.

On Fri 5/24/2013 11:46:24 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052413-37.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x57150)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA600C74F000, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002928E2E, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 5/24/2013 11:46:24 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA600C74F000, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002928E2E, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 5/24/2013 11:29:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052413-36.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA60109C7000, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800028EDE2E, 0x0)

On Fri 5/24/2013 10:44:06 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052413-35.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA600EF5E000, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800026E2E2E, 0x0)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
Re: Avast 8 BSOD.. went back to older Avast and it fixed it
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »
Please check for the corresponding minidump files (in C:\Windows\Minidump) and upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

ChasErnst

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 04:54:06 PM »
they are up there.

Arnold72

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »
Hmm..this seems to be quite a common occurance with the latest version of avast.It would appear i am not the only one to be having issues.
This is not good when an av is having such a wide spectrum of bluescreens on a variety of computers.

Meyers07

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
Same case to me but it happened to Windows XP SP3 x86, and instead of BSOD it just freezes.

The version is 8.0.1489.

Went back to 7.0.1426, no more problems.

true indian

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:03:15 PM »
upload dumps to ftp.avast.com/incoming

dumps should be in C:\windows\minidumps

Davy

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 02:29:36 PM »
That's another reason I've temporarily ditched Avast... as well as pushing you know what!

Why on Gods Earth is Avast not allowing people to use a version that they are happy with, I do feel we are being used as guinea pigs for many of their updates.... and without being 'pushy', they'd probably find many people not using Avast 8 - am I right?

I had a BSOD doing a boot scan with Avast - no don't bother, one or two on here will ask for a dump file - think about it before you do uh! There wasn't any.

Yes we can understand AV's giving problems but not for causing BSODs - why, didn't they beta them properly?

Avast has seriously gone down hill and needs to get a grip 'prompt'!  Avast could do well to understand not everyone has the same computer config. nor is everyone using the latest operating system.

Would it not be feasible to keep Avast releases for separate operating systems rather than rely on one program for all operating systems?

Avast has plainly gone from being a stable system to a problematic one - will it crash or won't it, we never had to worry before.

Dave

Aventador

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 02:39:16 PM »
Why were you performing a boot scan? Those are only for emergencies when your system is infected.

Arnold72

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
Interesting.
I must admit i have never seen the word BSOD mentioned so much as in this very forum and in relation to the new release.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
I had a BSOD doing a boot scan with Avast - no don't bother, one or two on here will ask for a dump file - think about it before you do uh! There wasn't any.

The boot-time scan is a user mode application (not a kernel mode component) - so to be able to bluescreen the system, it would actually have to exploit a bug in Windows itself.
So I'm afraid it's not a problem in the boot-time scan. Might be a hardware problem (remember any scan stresses the system), or a conflict with some other software, or a bug in drivers - but unrelated to the boot-time scan.

Yes we can understand AV's giving problems but not for causing BSODs - why, didn't they beta them properly?

avast! v8.0.1489 is currently being used by more than 20 millions of users, and the vast majority is fine. The beta team did a good job - but it's simply not possible to cover all the configurations and all the software existing on the userbase avast! has. (And of course, the cause of the BSODs may actually be in other software, it can only manifest together with avast! installed/updated.)

Avast has plainly gone from being a stable system to a problematic one - will it crash or won't it, we never had to worry before.

Might be "plain" for you (according to what? a few posts on the forum? Sorry, but people will always post on the forum mainly when they have a problem, not when they are OK), but I believe you are wrong.
We are monitoring the crashes (e.g. via the Microsoft reporting program) - and avast! 8 is crashing less than previous versions.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:08:47 PM by igor »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
@ChasErnst: is there \windows\memory.dmp file in Windows folder? If not, you can enable it in Control Panel (System). I'm afraid we'll need kernel-mode dump to see which Windows component caused your BSODs.

KarolaW

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 08:03:14 AM »
I've been running Avast for years and couldn't be happier (well you did miss one virus on me) - until the last update to 8.0.1489.  I now get consistent BSOD after my computer is idle for 6 to 10 minutes.  As long as I am actively using the computer it's fine.  Once the first BSOD occurred, Avast was the last thing I thought was causing the problem.  I updated drivers, ran a memory check, ran a heat test all passed with flying colors.  Wish I would have had a restore point, but didn't.  Hmmm, where did those go?  Used to have them.  But that's another story.  The machine also doesn't crash in SAFE mode.  Having researched BSOD in general I noticed several references to anti-virus software in general.  As a last ditch effort (after having ordered a new computer) I disabled Avast and haven't had a problem since.  It may help to mention I am running Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2

It is a mighty unsettling feeling to NOT be running any anti-virus software   :-\  HELP!!!  Any suggestions from the Avast Team?  Anyone???  I may have a new computer coming, but I'm not ready to ditch this one if the only problem it has is Avast.  I am going to try and ftp the mini dump files.

Thanks for any help - it will so much appreciated!

KarolaW

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
Well, FTP'ing the mini dump files to the ftp site mentioned above didn't work.  I guess I wait for further directions if you need to see my mini dumps.

Sorry about that.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
you can send me (kurtin@avast.com) minidump on my email address

netrion

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »
I updated Avast last week and got a BSOD the next day. Just got another BSOD last night. I'm running Vista 64. Both times I was away from the computer for a few hours and not running any applications.

Mini dump info from BlueScreenView.

aswSnx.SYS   aswSnx.SYS+5f075   fffffa60`04409000   fffffa60`04508000   0x000ff000   0x518b62de   5/9/2013 1:48:30 AM                  
ntoskrnl.exe   ntoskrnl.exe+bba20   fffff800`03249000   fffff800`0375f000   0x00516000   0x513a94a9   3/8/2013 6:47:21 PM