Author Topic: Blue screen of death issue.  (Read 20678 times)

Arnold72

Blue screen of death issue.
« on: May 25, 2013, 12:10:19 AM »
Hello avast forum and sincere greetings to all.
Just a little problem that i hope someone will help me with.

When i was using avast 8 version 1483 the program ran just fine with no issues on my computer at all.
I then updated to the latest version internally and this ran fine for a few days and then suddenly i was getting blue screens regularly at boot up.
I was running avast alongside comodo firewall 5.12 and by a process of elimination i have narrowed the culprit down to avast.
This has saddened me slightly as i love avast and i have unwillingly had to uninstall avast and use another av.

At some point i want to install avast again.
Could somebody please explain why there were bluescreens and could the issue be caused because i updated internally.?
Is it advisable to do a fresh install with every update as i suspect it was because of me updating internally that may have been the issue.

I really like avast and i love the protection offered and i want to try again with a clean install.
Thank You.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Blue screen of death issue.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 09:27:03 AM »
hey a clean installation is a good choose to do.

download the latest version of avast to your desktop from avast.com

second download and run the avast uninstall tool which can be found here

http://www.avast.com/en-se/uninstall-utility

reboot your computer

install the fresh copy you downloaded to your desktop.

a quick question how do you know your problem is avast related and not comodo?

Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »
Please check for the corresponding minidump files (in C:\Windows\Minidump) and upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Arnold72

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 12:28:26 PM »
Hello.
Thank you for the replies.
Yes im quite certain the latest version of avast was the culprit for the blue screens as i removed comodo and the bsods were still occuring.
But saying that i updated avast internally and this might be a factor in the blue screens.

Prior to the blue screens on the log on window an extra window appeared which belonged to the software updater module.Then it disappeared for some reason.
im going to attempt a clean install of avast and see if this cures the problem.

Does the latest version of avast use a different kernel driver from the previous version as there could be conflicts arising.
Thanks.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »
The BSOD was causing only in Avast v8.0.1488 and they've fixed the bug problem relating to the BSOD for W7 & W8 64bit to a new Avast v8.0.1489, so make sure you download the latest version 8.0.1489 only stay away from version 8.0.1488.

See link to download the latest version http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=123563.msg937973#msg937973 It safe to install over the top of v8.0.1483 just make sure you backup you're Avast setting first before you start.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:06:24 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Arnold72

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »
The BSOD was causing only in Avast v8.0.1488 and they've fixed the bug problem relating to the BSOD for W7 & W8 64bit to a new Avast v8.0.1489, so make sure you download the latest version 8.0.1489 only stay away from version 8.0.1488.
Hello speedy and thank you.
I have used comodo for years and never had a blue screen from it so im very certain comodo was not the issue.
Also i noticed avast was not informing me of any program updates at all and i only discovered there was an update from this forum.
It was version 1489 i was using.
But i believe the problem was caused by not performing a clean install.
As i said before i installed internally and this seems to be the problem.

Thanks again.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »
I have used comodo for years and never had a blue screen from it so im very certain comodo was not the issue.
Also i noticed avast was not informing me of any program updates at all and i only discovered there was an update from this forum.

Thanks again.

Turn off Comodo Behavior Blocker because they both conflict with Avast Behavior Blocker if you have both running at the time.

Edit: Keep mind Avast Behavior Blocker is stronger and better than Comodo Behavior Blocker from my understanding not to have both running.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:16:48 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Arnold72

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 01:24:05 PM »

Thanks again.

Turn off Comodo Behavior Blocker because they both conflict with Avast Behavior Blocker if you have both running at the time.

Edit: Keep mind Avast Behavior Blocker is stronger and better than Comodo Behavior Blocker from my understanding not to have both running.

Hello speedy.
I must apologise as i should of stated im not using version 6.
Im using v5.12 which i consider has a better layout than v6.
Seems to be a lot of problems with v6 at the moment so im staying clear for a while.

Thanks again.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
True their was a lot of problem in v6.0 and not v6.1 and that is you're choice I wasn't to sure IF their was a BB in v5.12 as I cannot tell from the end of my tail, try and excluded applications for Comodo FW in Avast and try and excluded applications for Avast in Comodo and see IF this solve the issue.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:40:17 PM by SpeedyPC »

Arnold72

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »
True their was a lot of problem in v6.0 and not v6.1 and that is you're choice I wasn't to sure IF their was a BB in v5.12 as I cannot tell from the end of my tail, try and excluded applications for Comodo FW in Avast and try and excluded applications for Avast in Comodo and see IF this solve the issue.
Hi speedy.
Yes i did all the mutual exclusions with both programs.
No BB in 5.12 but i just prefer this versions layout and usability.
Thanks.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »
I'm not sure if Defense+ should be turn off otherwise I can't help you any further to solve the issue sorry, you might want to check the issue for answer through Comodo forum you might not get enough information here on Avast forum relate to Comodo FW issue with the latest version of Avast. Just sit tight and maybe another Comodo FW user might be able to help you with you're issue as I'm using the full package of CIS for a while, and then I coming back to Avast Free asap.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 02:10:39 PM by SpeedyPC »

Arnold72

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 02:18:05 PM »
I'm not sure if Defense+ should be turn off otherwise I can't help you any further to solve the issue sorry, you might want to check the issue for answer through Comodo forum you might not get enough information here on Avast forum relate to Comodo FW issue with the latest version of Avast. Just sit tight and maybe another Comodo FW user might be able to help you with you're issue as I'm using the full package of CIS for a while, and then I coming back to Avast Free asap.
Hi speedy,
Thank you kindly for your input.
Im going to attempt a clean install of avast and see how it goes.
I am quite convinced updating internally may have been the issue.I like avast and its a great av and im not going to bash it at all as it may be just me that was at fault.
Thanks again.

Aventador

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »
This is the problem when you combine security products. Back in the XP days the need for a 3rd party of firewall was necessary. But ever since Vista it is not longer needed. Best suggestion is to COMPLETELY uninstall both products. Only install Avast and run for days. Use Avast with Windows firewall. If you never have a BSOD then go ahead and install Comodo. See what happens. If you have a BSOD then the two programs are not playing nice together. Did you exclude Comodo from Avast? Did you exclude Avast from Comodo?

Arnold72

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »
This is the problem when you combine security products. Back in the XP days the need for a 3rd party of firewall was necessary. But ever since Vista it is not longer needed. Best suggestion is to COMPLETELY uninstall both products. Only install Avast and run for days. Use Avast with Windows firewall. If you never have a BSOD then go ahead and install Comodo. See what happens. If you have a BSOD then the two programs are not playing nice together. Did you exclude Comodo from Avast? Did you exclude Avast from Comodo?
Hello Aventador.
Yes i did all the mutual exclusions in both programs.
I firstly removed comodo as you suggested and ran it with windows firewall but then i discovered i was having connectivity issues.
I then installed comodo firewall and the network problems disappeared.
As ive said before everything was running ok until i updated to the latest version.
I was running v1483 with comodo and there were no issues.
I then updated to v1488 and there were no problems.
I then updated to v1489 and then the blue screens started occuring on a regular basis at boot up so its plainly obvious that v1489 is the culprit.
I removed avast v1489 and there have been n bluescreens ever since.

My conclusion is that there was/is a conflict between comodo 5.12 and the latest version of avast.
Thank You.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 02:49:31 PM »
My conclusion is that there was/is a conflict between comodo 5.12 and the latest version of avast.
Thank You.

Can you please try Comodo FW v6.1 with Avast v8.0.1489, because v6.1 has fix the compatibility with Avast and Comodo together all I'm saying is try it without Comodo BB.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 02:51:38 PM by SpeedyPC »