Author Topic: Scanning Archive Files  (Read 7097 times)

dammitsdad

Scanning Archive Files
« on: April 04, 2005, 01:33:48 AM »
:-\ When I attempt a scan of my hard drive using the "Scan Archive Files" option the scan stops after approximately 2000 files are checked and the avast program closes without completing the scan. If the "Scan Archive Files" option is not selected the scan completes fine with no viruses found. Has anyone had a similar problem and how do I correct it? I am running Windows XP Pro, Windows Firewall and Sygate Personal Firewall.

neiby

Re: Scanning Archive Files
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 02:30:35 AM »
What version of avast are you using?

dammitsdad

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 04:47:38 AM »
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I'm using Ver. 4.6 Home Edition and the database is updated with 0513-2 from 04/01/05.  Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 04:50:35 AM »
Please, post a little bit more about your system... Firewall, other antivirus installed...
It's strange what's happening...

Additionally, you can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 09:56:48 AM »
There might be an archive the avast! has problems with (crashes when scanning it). As Technical suggested, please turn on the creation of the report file, let OK files be included there and run the scan again.
After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

Also, what is the exact build of avast! that you use? 4.6.623?

dammitsdad

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 03:44:33 PM »
Hi, My system is an AMD Athlon 64 with the 3200+ processor and I am running WindowsXP Pro with service Pack 2.  Avast is Version 4.6.623. I use Windows Firewall and Sygate Personal Firewall, with no other anti-virus program installed but avast.  I have just set up a log file as you suggested and will run a scan shortly and post any additional info I can obtain from the log. thanks again for your help.

dammitsdad

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 04:01:49 PM »
Hi, I checked the logs and in the Error Log it listed:
Application - 1700
Internal error has occured in Module ashUInt.dll, function...

In the info log it stops at
Application - 860
Description - ASWSIMPLE program run information: CaswSimpleDig:: Us...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 04:05:44 PM »
No, I didn't mean the log - but rather the report file created (if you turned it on in program settings). The default location is <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt

dammitsdad

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 04:44:10 PM »
Hi Igor, Thanks for your help. I didn't understand what you wanted but I think I have it now.  The last item listed in the report file is:
C:\Documents and Settings\George|Local Settings\Temp\WERa)dd\Mini 1 10704-01.dmp
  • is OK

Hope that is what you're looking for and hope you can tell me where to go from there. Thanks again.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 04:54:34 PM »
OK, now try the following:
start the console (i.e. run cmd.exe) and type (or rather, copy & paste from here):
dir "C:\Documents and Settings\George\Local Settings\Temp" /s > c:\list.txt
Now, open the file C:\list.txt in Notepad and find the mentioned file there (are you sure you copied the filename correctly? well, you can e.g. search for "704-01.dmp"). When you find the file - what is the file right after that one?

dammitsdad

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 05:27:05 PM »
Hi, The correct file name is:

C:\Documents and Settings\George\Local Settings\Temp\WERa0dd.dir00\Mini 1 10704-01.dmp
  • is OK

The file that follows in the list is:
_is6e.tmp

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 05:37:39 PM »
Can you please try to copy the file (and maybe a few following ones if the first one won't invoke the problem) to another (empty) folder and run a scan just on this folder? If the scanner disappears again, it's the "bad" file.

dammitsdad

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 06:04:37 PM »
Hi igor,
I copied that file and 15 files after it to a separate folder and ran the scan and it ran fine, but when I attempted to scan the drive again it stopped at the same spot according to the report.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 07:05:55 PM »
Hmm, that's bad...
If you run a scan without scanning archives - what is the file following Mini 1 10704-01.dmp in the report?

dammitsdad

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 09:21:03 PM »
The file that follows is _avast4_unp144857766
  • is OK

that file is followed by 17 more avast files
After that the next file is lS139\1033.MST
  • is OK

That file is not listed when I do the archive scan