Author Topic: Could Avast be causing my internet to keep dropping?  (Read 2535 times)

REDACTED

Could Avast be causing my internet to keep dropping?
« on: November 22, 2015, 03:06:27 AM »
I'm on windows 10 and since the recent threshold 2 update, my internet will randomly stopped working except for thing already connected like Skype.  I receive a Event error 16002 saying...

Closing a UDP socket with local port number 63023 in process 1492 is taking longer than expected. The local port number may not be available until the close operation is completed. This happens typically due to misbehaving network drivers. Ensure latest updates are installed for Windows and any third-party networking software including NIC drivers, firewalls, or other security products. 

However every time this happens another error follows right with it, it is a event error 1014 saying ..

Name resolution for the name domrep.ff.avast.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Could avast being causing this issue?

Offline Efthimios

Re: Could Avast be causing my internet to keep dropping?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 07:13:11 PM »
In my case, I'm afraid it is. Here's my situation:

1. While trying to play GuildWars2, I keep getting disconnected from time to time. I thought it was a problem with their servers. So, I didn't look into it further.

2. Then, my own websites started giving me timeouts, which was strange as I could see their uptime and verify that the server was actually running and visitors could retrieve the requested pages. At the same time, I could access other websites. I started looking into avast as it gave me severe latency problems before upgrading to Windows 10.

3. The next time I got timeouts from my websites (same IP address), I tried pinging them and I received the "request time out" message. I immediately connected my laptop on the same router and, lo and behold, while my desktop was giving me timeouts, my laptop had no problem pinging my websites.

4. I shut down avast's shields while receiving timeouts and they immediately turned into regular pings. I then reactivated avast's shields but, fortunately, the connection persisted.

So, the question is why would avast do that? It seems to randomly block and then release specific IPs. Is there some setting that might cause that or is it due to a bug? Please, let me know if you manage to get to the bottom of this weird problem.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 07:15:56 PM by Efthimios »