Author Topic: Google Chrome installed without my permission, very annoyed!  (Read 61826 times)

TechDude

Just did the update to 8.0.1489 via the program updated feature.
After reboot and a short wait I found Google Chrome was installed.
There was no screen with check boxes giving me the option like I have seen before, it just did it without asking.

Not cool.

I am going to hold off updating my other systems until this is fixed.

Aventador

Re: Google Chrome installed without my permission, very annoyed!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 02:49:16 PM »
There is always the option to have Chrome not installed. Most likely you did not see it. But there is no reason to make a thread about it. Just go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall Google Chrome. Its that easy. Have a nice day.

Keep in mind that Google Chrome is the safest and fastest web browser around.

TechDude

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »
Nope, there was no option screen this time as I have seen with previous updates. I'm not stupid.

My choice of browser and their relative merits is not the issue here.
The issue is with installing a product I don't want or need without my permission.

Aventador

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »
Nope, there was no option screen this time as I have seen with previous updates. I'm not stupid.

My choice of browser and their relative merits is not the issue here.
The issue is with installing a product I don't want or need without my permission.

Again I understand. I have updated several pc's as well as my customers and not one has had an issue. It takes a mere 5 seconds to uninstall it. Thanks. FYI............Every single software out there comes prepacked with stuff. Auslogics uses the Ask Toolbar.

TechDude

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 03:04:46 PM »
Yes, but with Auslogic I get the option to de-select the install of the Ask crap, can you see the difference?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 03:50:51 PM »
You should have got the option to refuse it, why you didn't I don't know.

You should have got a notice to reboot after the update, when you rebooted you should have got the google chrome options.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »
I know this is for Google Drive but, Chrome should have been on the same screen. 
And requires user input before moving to the next screen.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

TechDude

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »
You should have got the option to refuse it, why you didn't I don't know.

You should have got a notice to reboot after the update, when you rebooted you should have got the google chrome options.

Yer I know what it looks like, I have seen it on previous updates. Not this time.
I was watching, never touched the KB or mouse after the reboot. Chrome was installed when the installation completed.

Davy

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 09:07:18 PM »
I too had no option.... that means there was NO boxes to tick. Gee, we are that stupid?

I had a BSOD doing a boot scan! I cleared all Avast out using their tool, cleared Avast and Alwil in the registry and other folders that Avast & Alwil unkindly left behind.. re-installed and bingo Chrome!

The way I got shut I reformatted and re-cloned the main hard drive from 'clean copy' re-installed Avast and bingo I got the option box!

I am sorry for one or two on here who can not comprehend what is being said, PLEASE understand when I say there was no option box, just like the other poster... and posters before, there was no option box, OK?

I will not be troubled no more... Avast is now my 2nd option, I do not use Avast on the main drive. When Avast expires shortly it stay's expired until Avast gets itself sorted!

Security software should NOT be piggy backing installs. Take it or leave it!

Dave

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:12:35 PM by Davy »

Hiballer

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 07:59:12 PM »
I just created a Virtual Machine (using Windows XP Pro) and installed the very latest Avast! from the website.  It gave me NO NOTICE or option to NOT INSTALL Google Chrome.  In fact, once it started installing Chrome it took over 45 minutes to complete the install.  The very next thing I did was to uninstall it post haste.

I do not like ANYTHING installed without my permission.

Before the "there is an option box" people show up, let met state unequivocally that at first was the Install button and when clicked, that went away the install started.  I had no opportunity to stop the install even when it started installed Chrome.

NOT happy camper!

Aventador

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »
Do you have screen shots to prove this? Since its a VM you can just do it again and post screen shots. Did you select "custom install"?

Johnny4745

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 10:03:27 PM »
Do you have screen shots to prove this? Since its a VM you can just do it again and post screen shots. Did you select "custom install"?

There is no screen shot, but there is an install log that has been posted that proves it.

This will make the third time I have posted this, maybe this time someone will take the time to look at the log.

Read Reply #12
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=111525.msg946290#msg946290

Hiballer

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 10:50:56 PM »
@Aventador:  Please stop saying the same thing over and over again.  When installing from a fresh download there is NO "options" screen presented.  The installer immediately starts installing Avast! and doesn't stop until Chrome is installed.  I don't feel the need to "prove" anything.  I am stating a fact: THE INSTALLER WILL INSTALL CHROME WITHOUT ANY INPUT FROM THE USER.

GayzeN

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
"Me, too".  Just supporting what has been said here.  I had to reinstall Windows on a spare laptop and it is now sitting in there with "Installing Google Chrome" running and running and running at about 90% on the status bar. It's been like that for close to 30 minutes -- in a way I'm glad to see that others say that it took 45 minutes to install the thing, as I was about to try to stop the process and reboot to see if the computer had been locked up irreparably.  I'll wait a while instead, in hopes that it will finally finish.

There was NO option, no check box, to not install Chrome, no warning at all that it would even be installed.  Avast 8 just started installing, and Chrome was included without any notice what so ever that it would be installed.  Once it starts, there is no way to stop the install, no way to hurry it up, you just have to sit and expect to dedicate a large chunk of your day to something you did not want at all.

Now, I actually like Chrome, and use it on my other computers.  However, that is not the issue.  The issue is that we're given no choice, and then can't get on with our work until the 45-or-whatever minutes passes that should have been a 10-minute install.

This is unacceptable and far below what I expect from Avast. 

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:15:59 PM by GayzeN »

vsub

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 11:20:45 PM »
I can confirm this.
It never happen on my PC with Windows XP(removed and installed avast multiple times)but it did happen on laptop with Win7 and I'm 100% sure I did not choose to install it(I always use custom install on everything and choose what to install and where).

After restarting the laptop,the chrome icon was on the desktop.
I just remove the program but I'm just saying that this installing without permission is real