Author Topic: Google Chrome installed without my permission, very annoyed!  (Read 61812 times)

wyrmrider

Re: Google Chrome installed without my permission, very annoyed!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
when I upgraded from 7 to 8 without remove and replace drill Chrome installed with no asking, something else also which I mentioned in another post

yereverluvinunclebert

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
I can also confirm this. Just installed latest version on Vista and it installed Google chrome by default without giving me an option  to prevent the installation. As far as I am concerned Avast is installing Malware.

It is Malware if the effect on my system is unknown or could be a problem for me. Having software on my computer that I did not ask for is a problem for me. I have a tightly-tied down system and NO software is allowed other than that I install.

The installation appeared to stall on the Chrome download so I killed the avast chrome process and the installation ended with a partial installation of chrome which I had to remove manually. How do you know whether I have a configuration that may be disturbed by the installation of additional software?

Bundling software with no option to remove is VERY bad practice, it is unprofessional and totally unexpected of AVAST.

I will be reviewing my policy of recommending Avast unless this is unbundled or at the VERY LEAST an option is supplied to prevent the installation.

Aventador

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Malware cause harm to your pc. Google Chrome is a web browser and DOES NOT cause harm to your pc. It has been proven to be the most effective and safest browser around. It has actually gained more popularity then Internet Explorer and or Firefox.

yereverluvinunclebert

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »
Aventador - please stop spouting rubbish, changing things on a PC without permission does harm. For instance, the default browser was changed after the installation on Google Chrome and that is a change to the configuration without my knowledge. If the machine was released to my clients and normal operation was altered this could cause use confusion, unwanted help desk requests and it would cost my company time and MONEY.

As far as I am concerned this is the same effect as installing malware.

Please stop stating the obvious. People posting here are intelligent and do NOT need your pointless posts.

Aventador

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 04:21:38 PM »
OMG................Please stop making mountains out of mole hills. Changing default browsers takes a mere 5 seconds. I have installed Avast on about 200+ customer pc's. Never ONCE has Chrome been installed for no reason. But most households have Google Chrome. My sons school uses Google Chrome for safety reasons. My work uses Google Chrome cause of its ability to sandbox each tab and millions of add ons. Default browser doesn't stop ANYONE from clicking there favorite browser. It does not stop the launching of ANY browser. All it does is when you click on a hyperlink it will go to your default browser.

I wish everyone would stop making such an issue out of this. Maybe there is a bug on some installers. But I have never ever seen it. As in matter of fact I want ALL my clients to be safe so I purposely educate them on using Google Chrome. Especially over IE. If they do not like it then can go back to IE.

Try Googling "Safest and best web browser" This is what you will find.

http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365692,00.asp

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-web-browser.htm

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/web-browser-chrome-25-firefox-19,3459.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:27:38 PM by Aventador »

GayzeN

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 04:37:38 PM »
Aventador, this IS an issue.  A big one.  It's not that Chrome is a problem.  It's that it's being installed without our permission and without any option to tell it "no".  It took my laptop AN HOUR AND A HALF to do the installation before it finally completed, with no way to back out of it and tell Avast to install without Chrome.  Were that my only computer and had I relied on it for work, I'd have lost an hour and a half worth of income.  Others here have also stated that the installation tied up their computers for a ridiculously long time.

You have at least a dozen people in this thread telling you the same thing: Chrome installed with no option to say "no" and without user permission.  I also have installed Avast quite a few times; I've been using it for many, many years, since it first hit the market.  It is just the latest version of Avast which is doing this.

The problem is not that it is "Chrome".  As stated, I use Chrome as my default browser on all computers in my house -- BUT I do it by choice, not forced upon me in an installation I did not want and had no option to cancel.

You have people here with Windows 8, Windows 7 and Vista all telling you the same thing.  It sounds like most of them, like myself, are not newbies to computers, install processes or Avast.

Yes, changing default browsers takes five seconds.  Installing software without permission and without giving the user the option to say no, however, should be a crime.  Tying up what should have been a ten minute installation for an hour and a half, taking time away from peoples' work day, when those people had no clue this was going to happen nor were they given a choice is wrong.

I believe the reason you are not seeing the problem is that you already have Chrome installed.  When I installed Avast on the new laptop, I had installed Chrome first.  It did not tie up my computer for a long time on that machine.  On the re-installation on the old laptop, however, it did install Chrome (it was not on that system yet and, since I was just installing Avast because I wanted to run the machine through tests before putting any other software on it, I had no intention of installing Chrome till later).  Try installing Avast on a system which does NOT have Chrome already installed.  You may just find yourself eating crow.

We are not making a mountain out of a mole-hill.  You are making a mole-hill out of a mountain.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:43:46 PM by GayzeN »

yereverluvinunclebert

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »
Aventidor - I think you are a bit of a forum buffoon.

Stop commenting.

We already know how to do EVERYTHING you have suggested - we don't need your help, we are computer professionals. All that is happening is that your comments have been mixed up with ours and yours are diluting the issue.

The issue has been raised, whether you understand it or not is probably the only new issue you have managed to raise.

Simply go away. Stop commenting on this topic. You are adding nothing. You are detracting from the point being made.

I am unregistering with this forum so that I no longer need to listen to your posts.
The next post that you raise will go unlistened to, so don't do it.

Aventador

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »
Aventidor - I think you are a bit of a forum buffoon.

Stop commenting.

We already know how to do EVERYTHING you have suggested - we don't need your help, we are computer professionals. All that is happening is that your comments have been mixed up with ours and yours are diluting the issue.

The issue has been raised, whether you understand it or not is probably the only new issue you have managed to raise.

Simply go away. Stop commenting on this topic. You are adding nothing. You are detracting from the point being made.

I am unregistering with this forum so that I no longer need to listen to your posts.
The next post that you raise will go unlistened to, so don't do it.

No one has to resort to name calling. FYI.................I am a certified systems engineer.

Aventador

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
Aventador, this IS an issue.  A big one.  It's not that Chrome is a problem.  It's that it's being installed without our permission and without any option to tell it "no".  It took my laptop AN HOUR AND A HALF to do the installation before it finally completed, with no way to back out of it and tell Avast to install without Chrome.  Were that my only computer and had I relied on it for work, I'd have lost an hour and a half worth of income.  Others here have also stated that the installation tied up their computers for a ridiculously long time.

You have at least a dozen people in this thread telling you the same thing: Chrome installed with no option to say "no" and without user permission.  I also have installed Avast quite a few times; I've been using it for many, many years, since it first hit the market.  It is just the latest version of Avast which is doing this.

The problem is not that it is "Chrome".  As stated, I use Chrome as my default browser on all computers in my house -- BUT I do it by choice, not forced upon me in an installation I did not want and had no option to cancel.

You have people here with Windows 8, Windows 7 and Vista all telling you the same thing.  It sounds like most of them, like myself, are not newbies to computers, install processes or Avast.

Yes, changing default browsers takes five seconds.  Installing software without permission and without giving the user the option to say no, however, should be a crime.  Tying up what should have been a ten minute installation for an hour and a half, taking time away from peoples' work day, when those people had no clue this was going to happen nor were they given a choice is wrong.

I believe the reason you are not seeing the problem is that you already have Chrome installed.  When I installed Avast on the new laptop, I had installed Chrome first.  It did not tie up my computer for a long time on that machine.  On the re-installation on the old laptop, however, it did install Chrome (it was not on that system yet and, since I was just installing Avast because I wanted to run the machine through tests before putting any other software on it, I had no intention of installing Chrome till later).  Try installing Avast on a system which does NOT have Chrome already installed.  You may just find yourself eating crow.

We are not making a mountain out of a mole-hill.  You are making a mole-hill out of a mountain.

A "dozen" people. Lol. There are about 10 Million Avast users in the world. If it was such as issue there would be more then merely 12 people posting this issue.

GayzeN

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

You have at least a dozen people in this thread telling you the same thing:

A "dozen" people. Lol. There are about 10 Million Avast users in the world. If it was such as issue there would be more then merely 12 people posting this issue.

That's just in this thread.  I've seen several other threads complaining about the same issue.

As I said, wipe a system clean, get totally rid of Chrome and Avast on it, and try installing the latest Avast on that system

See what happens.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 04:51:04 PM »
Aventador, this is a legitimate concern and if you read the forum you will find that there are instances of an undemanded install.  Now it has not happened to me but, it does not mean it is not occurring.  Chrome could be the safest thing since sliced bread but it does not detract from the valid complaints.   Avast are aware of this and are trying to track down the cause. You irritating all and sundry with your comments does not help.  So please zip it

Aventador

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
There are about 20 complaints of this with over 10 million Avast users so it doesn't add up. I have installed Avast on tons of pc's that never had Avast or Chrome. And guess what........................................NEVER ONE CHROME INSTALLATION WITHOUT INTERACTION.

Aventador

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 04:52:52 PM »
Aventador, this is a legitimate concern and if you read the forum you will find that there are instances of an undemanded install.  Now it has not happened to me but, it does not mean it is not occurring.  Chrome could be the safest thing since sliced bread but it does not detract from the valid complaints.   Avast are aware of this and are trying to track down the cause. You irritating all and sundry with your comments does not help.  So please zip it

I never said or denied it wasn't an issue. Please read my replies before answering. Thanks.

GayzeN

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »

Essexboy, thanks so much for relaying that the Avast programmers are aware that there is a problem with this.  I hope they're able to track it down and fix it before too many more users are inconvenienced.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 05:05:12 PM »
At the moment it appears to be a random occurrence with no real rhyme nor reason.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled a fair few times recently to try and replicate this on my system, but so far have failed
I wonder if there is a clue in the setup log