Author Topic: Google Chrome installed without my permission, very annoyed!  (Read 61813 times)

GTX66

Re: Google Chrome installed without my permission, very annoyed!
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »
This is why I always choose the Custom installation as some of these freeware programs ad all kinds of garbage in them.
You don't get offered a custom installation when using the internal updater, the custom process only works on a downloaded install file.

With that said I have just performed an update via the internal process for a friend and once the install was finished it asked to reboot and once restarted the avast popup screen appeared which gave me the option to uncheck the Google offerings plus all settings were retained in the update process so the update worked faultlessly.

Yes this was explained in post 41. I always do a clean install.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »
This is why I always choose the Custom installation as some of these freeware programs ad all kinds of garbage in them.
You don't get offered a custom installation when using the internal updater, the custom process only works on a downloaded install file.

With that said I have just performed an update via the internal process for a friend and once the install was finished it asked to reboot and once restarted the avast popup screen appeared which gave me the option to uncheck the Google offerings plus all settings were retained in the update process so the update worked faultlessly.

I think you mean post 40 and the topic discussion is about upgrading avast via the built in installer to which I stated worked faultlessly for me.

GTX66

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2013, 04:59:58 PM »

I think you mean post 40 and the topic discussion is about upgrading avast via the built in installer to which I stated worked faultlessly for me.

No I meant 41 This one.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=125379.msg984912#msg984912

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »
No I meant 41
It doesn't really matter which one as the topic is about receiving Google Chrome without permission and the OP who started this topic received Chrome via the internal updater, it's not about the downloadable install file
process, please stay on topic.

GTX66

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »
No I meant 41
It doesn't really matter which one as the topic is about receiving Google Chrome without permission and the OP who started this topic received Chrome via the internal updater, it's not about the downloadable install file
process, please stay on topic.

Then stop telling me  what post I was referring to. When This Beta is released you will never here from me again. :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
Then stop telling me  what post I was referring to. When This Beta is released you will never here from me again. :)
Then stop posting in threads you obviously don't understand or comprehend as just about all your posts are off topic with no regard to the OP and all that seems to matter to you is your own disruptive agenda's >:( 

kamalashraf

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2013, 07:37:42 PM »
avast is always ask you to install chrome or not.

g0dsends

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 01:22:59 AM »
maybe its a flaw in the installer :(

tortoise

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »
I just used the internal updater on free avast, restarted immediately and got no option to install google toolbar and chrome.  It took ages to do its thing and it was as I was watching it I remembered that it was probably installing crap and kicked myself for not doing a clean install instead. 

It's easy enough to uninstall the toolbar and chrome but it's sure to leave bits behind that eventually clog up the computer.

I agree that maybe we should get these with free avast but then they should tell us so that we have the option to not install and use a different AV altogether.

ken_turbine

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2013, 05:39:21 PM »
Another irritated user of Free Avast. I have no objection to being asked, as there is obviously some sort of agreement between the companies; but I used the internal updater, re-booted and was faced with Chrome (which I dislike) starting on my machine without any obvious notification. It may be that I missed the options, but am reasonably certain that none were offered. If they were, then they were so insignificant that they could be missed. I am with the majority of posters on this thread, that a company whose business is integrity should at least make the option VERY visible.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »
With 2014 (currently in Beta) this is how it is presented after doing a GUI update

acmeal

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2013, 07:25:38 AM »
There is always the option to have Chrome not installed. Most likely you did not see it. But there is no reason to make a thread about it. Just go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall Google Chrome. Its that easy. Have a nice day.

Keep in mind that Google Chrome is the safest and fastest web browser around.

I had to re-install Avast and the screen for the 'Custom' install was skipped and Chrome popped up, but I just removed it   ;)

:)

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2013, 07:45:59 AM »
I would like to see Chrome OPT-IN, de-selected by default.

Why try and trick users by having the option off to the corner in small print,
where if you're in a rush, it's easily missed?

People who actually want Chrome would select it, surely?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Drewski

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2013, 01:10:12 PM »
Just found Chrome on my desktop this morning after an automatic update. I'm tremendously irritated. Installing GoogleUpdater.exe is pretty much the opposite of what I want from antivirus. This is my computer--I paid for it, and you guys can't have it. Buy your own computers and you can install whatever you like on 'em. Go nuts. You want six browser toolbars and Bonzai Bunny, go right ahead, but don't put shady crap on my machine.

Now I have to uninstall Chrome, bend over backward to remove the updater software, -and- replace Avast. I'm determined to tell five people before sundown today why they should avoid Avast like the plague, and you can darned well bet I'm'a be socializing this. I'll warn people that your ethics and installer can both be bought by third parties; nobody wants AV software they can't trust completely.

I've seen in this thread a claim that it's a mistake. Why hasn't it been reverted or fixed by now? Either it's not a mistake after all, or you're not willing to take responsibility for it and fix it. Either way, it's now too late, at least where I'm concerned.

andrewmatchett

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2013, 03:13:32 AM »
I too am a victim of Chrome being installed during an Avast Update with no Dialogue Box appearing to allow me to Untick the Chrome Install. But I figured out a solution. Try this, it worked for me.

Solution: Allow Avast to Update the Program as per normal. Avast will ask to reboot your Computer for the changes to take effect. Allow it, BUT, during the reboot, disconnect your Computer from the Internet. In my case, I simply switched off my ADSL Modem. Now when Windows started, low and behold, the errant Dialogue Box appeared on the Screen. I Unticked the Boxes related to Chrome and let Avast finish. Wait until the Avast Icon has appeared in the bottom right of your Taskbar (you know, where your other start up programs are), before connecting your Computer back to the Internet. Hope this works for you.

Yes, you should not have to go through all this but since Avast will not fix the problem with this Dialogue Box not appearing under normal circumstances, they have left the Users with no choice but to find a solution themselves.

Regards