Author Topic: Google Chrome installed without my permission, very annoyed!  (Read 61808 times)

czardas

Re: Google Chrome installed without my permission, very annoyed!
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2013, 03:19:36 AM »
andrewmatchett - Awesome story!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:22:07 AM by czardas »

true indian

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2013, 12:12:50 PM »
There is a option right in front of your damn eyes guys.The first screen the you get while the install has the option to uncheck those at the bottom.Is everyone blind here  ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
There is a option right in front of your damn eyes guys.The first screen the you get while the install has the option to uncheck those at the bottom.Is everyone blind here  ::)

Lets start of with losing the attitude and just answer the questions or don't reply.

The problem is that having unchecked the options in the very first screen, they appear again (pre-checked) in the screen that happens on reboot. So for whatever reason if the screen doesn't appear (and that isn't meant to happen) the options are still checked, so here you could end up with chrome.

As an avast user, I have no idea why this screen would fail to display after the boot it has always done so on my systems, but it does annoy me that having unchecked the options on the first screen of the installation, they aren't recorded/remember and they have to be entered again on the screen after boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2013, 01:24:57 PM »
I've always seen that option with each program update and I untick Google Chrome.  I don't know why some people say it's installed without their permission. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »
I've always seen that option with each program update and I untick Google Chrome.  I don't know why some people say it's installed without their permission. 

Read my post, if the options screen doesn't appear for whatever reason, then no possibility to see, much less uncheck the options.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »
I read your post.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:58:14 PM by -midnight »

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
This is a niggling thing; I just don't trust it.  I *always* uninstall and reinstall clean.

I have mixed feeling about avast! AV; I recognize it's tech prowess - especially 2014 beta, looks very good.
But some of these attempts to push crap onto users leaves me with an uneasy feeling.

Because of that, I don't think I would ever buy avast!  If I needed to switch to a  more comprehensive
(paid) product,  I would look at one of the competitors.  Not because of it's technology, but because of
my discomfort with these tricks.  That's a little sad, to be honest.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2013, 06:17:17 PM »
I read your post.

Then you clearly didn't understand it or you wouldn't have made this comment "I don't know why some people say it's installed without their permission.  "

There have been many instances reported in the forums where a user didn't get the screen to be able to uncheck the chrome options.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »
I read your post.

Then you clearly didn't understand it or you wouldn't have made this comment "I don't know why some people say it's installed without their permission.  "

There have been many instances reported in the forums where a user didn't get the screen to be able to uncheck the chrome options.

Yes, I did understand it!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2013, 08:42:30 PM »
Which begs the question why post the comment (quoted text emphasised) that you did, if you understood it ???

As not having the screen display the options is a clear reason why some people would be saying it was installed without their permission.

jesydney

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2013, 02:03:12 AM »
This post is targeted at the AVAST Dev Team. PLEASE TAKE AWAY THE GOOGLE CHROME install.

I am an iT support engineer. All my users PAY for AVAST. It is EXTREMELY ANNOYING when I have to uncheck the box. Also customer's who do not see will just simple click finish and it installs by default.

Please, AVAST Dev Team, UNCHECK by DEFAULT.

BTW, I have to give  :) :) 8) 8) to AVAST for an excellent antivirus. WE SUPPORT AVAST and BUY AVAST Licenses  to continue development.

Sarge

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2013, 05:27:18 AM »
I hate Chrome, didn't ask for it, don't want it, will uninstall it. Thanks for nothing Avast!  >:(

one1nee

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2013, 05:18:21 PM »
sigh..
just now i also updated the Avast, and there wasnt any option to not install chrome. all i know, it said 'Update is available' (kinda confused since i use automatic update n it never asked me to update before). clicked it, it finish installed, asked me to reboot, congrats me since i'm success in updating n then i clicked finish. then it said 'Completing the update, this will take some time or smthg like that)'. it keep going for quite along time, and i cant even closed it (tried to clicked 'X' n even did it from Task Manager. it wont closed/stopped). then around 10-15 mins later it finished n congratulated me again n soon i realised there's google Chrome installed.

and yes, there wasnt any option box to ticked. i just clicked update n it run the update. no option at all, and i'm also not happy with it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:26:13 PM by one1nee »

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2013, 05:31:18 PM »
Just make it opt-in instead of opt-out.  If it's such a great program,
users will choose it.

Otherwise, it's just being foisted upon us and immediately uninstalled by those who didn't see it
during the install.   Frankly, it's shameful.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Ignotus

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2013, 04:40:55 AM »
There are a few of these threads all talking about Chrome installing without permission. This thread is the freshest of the bunch that I could find, so I'm posting here. Here is one such older thread from over a year ago. This has been an ongoing issue for over a year and still has not been resolved. I can no longer recommend Avast to my friends and coworkers and will not be installing it on their machines anymore. I'm not going to recommend software to people that is going to auto-install another web browser. Even if it's a fluke and doesn't happen all the time, the fact that it's been an issue for over a year and Avast still can't figure it out causes me to lose faith in the company. Here is my specific experience with the issue that just happened a few minutes ago. I'll go ahead and copy and answer the questions from the other thread that I linked too.

My current updated Avast version is 8.0.1497. I don't know what version I had before, but it was most likely whatever version came before 8.0.1497 as I typically update within a few days of an update being made available. I seriously doubt I was multiple versions behind. Anyway, I updated Avast, and it asked for a reboot. I told it no. I went ahead and installed 8 Windows updates too. That got me up to date there as well except that I decided not to install IE 10 yet. I figured I'd install it after the reboot. For Avast update settings, I have it set to auto update the engine and virus definitions, but for PROGRAM updates it is set to ASK, which it did. After the Windows updates installed, I rebooted. I logged in with my password, and while things were loading, an Avast screen popped up with a FINISH button and two check boxes. One check box was for installing Chrome. I was not able to read the other box because the window disappeared before I could finish reading it and Chrome was subsequently installed. I assume the other box was for making Chrome the default browser, which also happened. So there was an option to uncheck the boxes, but the window closed before I had time to uncheck the boxes and I did NOT press the finish button. This is the exact behavior of option 2 in the older thread I linked from July 2012. Obviously Avast never resolved it. Here are my answers to those questions from that thread.

Quote from: RejZoR
How can i help to get this problem solved?
Ranting and threatening won't help, but answering few short questions may help us...

1. What avast! edition are you using (ie Free, Pro or AIS)?
2. When did this happen (during update or new installation)?
3. What Windows version are you using (ie Win7 SP1 64bit)?
4. Which was your default web browser at the time this happened?
5. Have you ever installed Google Chrome yourself in the past (and then removed it)?
6. How did this happen (dialog quickly disappeared, missing checkboxes etc)?
7. When did this happen (right after update, after update reboot, both)?
8. If you think any other info might be relevant or helpful, please post it.

1. Free
2. Update
3. Win7 SP1 64bit
4. Firefox 23.0.1
5. The only time Chrome has been installed is when it was previously installed by Avast and I removed it. This isn't the first time it has happened, but it's been a while.
6. Dialog quickly disappeared and the boxes are OPT OUT instead of OPT IN. Not enough time to uncheck the boxes.
7. Happened right after update and reboot.
8. Nothing I can think of at the moment.