Author Topic: Google Chrome installed without my permission, very annoyed!  (Read 62034 times)

Offline redwolfe_98

Re: Google Chrome installed without my permission, very annoyed!
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 08:03:12 AM »
ignotus, thanks for posting..

if the avast installer is going to be bundled with the google-chrome crapware, and all of the other google-crapware that goes with it, they need to have a different "installer" that is downloaded throught the avast program's updater, since the installer that is downloaded through the updater doesn't give you an option for doing a "custom-install" where you can opt out of installing all of the google crapware..

one big problem is, when "chrome" is automatically installed by the avast installer, if chrome is already installed, it wrecks the "chrome"-installation, requiring a full uninstall-, and reinstall, of "chrome"..

to work around the "chrome"-problem, the simple solution is to just not use the updater for a program-update, but to uninstall the avast program and then do a "clean install", when there is a program-update..

but, yes, avast should fix the google-"chrome"-problem by using a different installer for progam-updates that are delivered through the avast program's updater..

waraukaeru

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2013, 02:07:41 AM »
I'm totally disgusted by this, and even more dismayed to see that this is a long standing issue that hasn't been addressed yet. I used to love Avast for not being like this!

VFN

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2013, 03:17:57 AM »
one big problem is, when "chrome" is automatically installed by the avast installer, if chrome is already installed, it wrecks the "chrome"-installation, requiring a full uninstall-, and reinstall, of "chrome"..

Is it possible that this is why my chrome has not updated its flash?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2013, 03:28:13 AM »

Is it possible that this is why my chrome has not updated its flash?

I would rather doubt that, given what was said in the text/post you quoted. The problems with the installation of chrome would have made themselves more apparent sooner and not updating or after a flash update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

VFN

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2013, 05:13:42 AM »
Okay, thanks. Will have to see what else it could be.

yann-gael

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2013, 01:57:11 PM »
Hello,

I have had the same issue today when updating to version 8.0.1497.0: Google Chrome was installed without any warning/permission asked. How could I make sure that Avast! Professional (I am a registered, paying user) will install again Chrome without asking me first?

Best,
Yann

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »
I have had the same issue today when updating to version 8.0.1497.0: Google Chrome was installed without any warning/permission asked. How could I make sure that Avast! Professional (I am a registered, paying user) will install again Chrome without asking me first?
This has been apparently fixed with v2014.
You can download v2014 from here.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

darkwolf

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2013, 05:47:00 AM »
I have seen this very thing happen, you either update Avast from the program or use the installer, once in a while there is no options box just a long drawn out install, then a reboot and then Chrome is installed and must be ripped out.

Offline Xanadu

« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2013, 05:51:26 AM »
I ran into this problem twice in one week.  I got a new Windows 8 computer. Installed the newest version of Avast.  Then had to uninstall Chrome.  I did NOT get an option to bypass the Chrome install. 

My son took my old XP machine and reformatted it and started over with it.  He installed Avast on it - and promptly had to uninstall Chrome.  It does NOT ask if you want it!  At least with other software you have the option to uncheck stuff you don't want.  I understand that Chrome is not malware, but I use as few Google products as possible and do not want to purposely install more Google stuff.  Just my personal preference.   Now I don't know if it was because it was a new install instead of an update to an existing install, but it happened both times.  The XP machine is slow and it took forever to complete.   If they want to bundle software with their program, fine.  But give users the option to opt out from installation of items they do not want.

hujibear

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2013, 01:27:22 PM »
I unclicked the Chrome option, but it still installed chrome. This is an invasion. Very angry now

dex138

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »
my auto update to version 2014.9.0.2006 just installed Google Chrome without the option to NOT install.....

seriously guys?

-André-

« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2013, 08:55:10 PM »
Dear,
The same for me, not a chance to uncheck the install of Google Chrome and Toolbar on the upgrade today.
Last year, I protested already.  No answer on my mail.
I uninstalled and Chrome, and Toolbar again.
This is unheard.
Grtz,  André.

Offline kbrewer423@yahoo.com

« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2013, 12:14:10 AM »
No, Google Chrome automatic installation without person has NOT been removed with latest AVAST update. I installed the update, was required to restart, and never was I asked if I wanted Google Chrome. I still have 90 days to give AVAST back thru AMEX purchase protection and if this happens again, AVAST WILL go back.

jfee

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »
I agree.  After a program update this morning, Google Chrome was installed without my permission.  I own three AVAST licences but I'll not renew unless they stop giving me programs I do not want and never requested. 

AVAST is wasting my time, and time is money.

Oh, and I didn't want SafeZone either.  More time wasting as I attempt to find a way to uninstall it. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:26:09 AM by jfee »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2013, 02:58:31 PM »
I agree.  After a program update this morning, Google Chrome was installed without my permission.  I own three AVAST licences but I'll not renew unless they stop giving me programs I do not want and never requested. 

AVAST is wasting my time, and time is money.

Oh, and I didn't want SafeZone either.  More time wasting as I attempt to find a way to uninstall it. 

Might I suggest that you do a custom install, where you can deselect functions like the safezone that you don't require/want.

Though that said if you didn't have the safezone installed (?), then if you did a program update from the avast user interface (?), shouldn't have installed it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security