Author Topic: Avast free vs Clamwin-infection?  (Read 18343 times)

molngab

Avast free vs Clamwin-infection?
« on: May 26, 2013, 09:45:16 AM »
Hello!

If I update the virus signature base of Clamwin AV, sometimes the resident shield of Avast found a "trojan horse" in the update module of Clamwin.

See: the jpg.

This is strange, because
-the source (clamav libraries) are trusted

And stranger:
- I added the full clamwin directory to the exception list of avast file shield module.
How can find an infection in this dir, if this dir can be foudn in exception?

Thanks!

thug4real

Re: Avast free vs Clamwin-infection?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
Sound like an issue from avast side. Anyway you should try to submit the file to virus@avast.com (if the files can be sent via email).

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »
This is strange, because
-the source (clamav libraries) are trusted
not strange..... ClamAV is a antivirus program
antivirus programs are known to detect on other antivirus programs, as they have virus like behavior and are full of virus signatures

and that is why you should not install multiple AV programs
this will give you a slower machine, mysterious windows errors and false detections

molngab

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:45:10 AM »
????

False detections?
I ADDED the full ClamWindir to the exceptions list of Avast file shield.
How can generate the avast  FALSE detection, if the scan of the "infected" dir is forbidden?

Second.
ClamWin hasn't a resident shield. It can't slow down my pc, and can't affect another av shield-because clamwin hasn't any shield.

>>

false detections

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
explained here .... see post from quietman7
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic186533.html

General: Uninstalling a third-party antivirus software
http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB11

if you want an extra scanner, Malwarebytes is recomended.   www.malwarebytes.org

thug4real

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 01:20:31 PM »
Yes I have to agree with Pondus, you could use Malwarebytes for manually scan your pc from time to time, and since starts manually, I don't experience no conflict, no false detection, no slowdown, nothing. Any way avast has a strong detection, only thing that Malwarebytes found in my pc since I start to use avast(since v.4) was tracking cookies.

Regards RealNature,

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
only thing that Malwarebytes found in my pc since I start to use avast(since v.4) was tracking cookies.
very strange.....since Malwarebytes does not scan for tracking cookies.   ;)

ComputerRepairTech

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »
only thing that Malwarebytes found in my pc since I start to use avast(since v.4) was tracking cookies.

Believe it did a very long time ago.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »

It's never scanned for tracking cookies that I can remember ??? SuperAntiSpyware does. 

Aventador

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
Clamwin does have a portable version which I use for customers.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »

It's never scanned for tracking cookies that I can remember ??? SuperAntiSpyware does.

Craigb is 100% correct and I can confirm this Malwarebytes does not scan for tracking cookies, only SuperAntiSpyware does scan for tracking cookies they have an option setting to turn this off.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

ComputerRepairTech

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »

hmm I recall a long time ago I use to have to say not to worry about the cookies...i think back then I was using AVG though perhaps AVG was the one that picked up cookies.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 03:24:38 PM »
@    molngab
No it isn't an FP when an AV that is in the lookout for virus signatures alerts when it finds the unencrypted virus signatures of another security application.

Your image doesn't show the full path to the 'Object', so it is possible it isn't in the clamwin directory ?
Updates as such may well be in the/a temp folder whilst being processed and removed when complete.

EDIT, incorrect user name for reference.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:22:07 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

thug4real

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »

You're right, I confused with Superantispyware. My bad ;D

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »
ClamWin AV is not a resident antivirus, and does not have the capability to be resident.  The only resident part is the signature updater.  ClamWin AV can only be used as an on-demand scanner; triggered by the user or another program.  Therefore, ClamWin AV does not conflict with Avast or other resident antivirus programs.  However, since ClamWin AV program file was recently updated, Avast does occasionally alert on the ClamWin signatures during ClamWin's update process.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner