Author Topic: reboot at "aswRvrt.sys"  (Read 10257 times)

PaulVdB

reboot at "aswRvrt.sys"
« on: May 26, 2013, 04:01:16 PM »
- Windows doesn't start anymore.
- Booting in Safe Mode stops at "aswRvrt.sys"
- After a few seconds BSOD appears for a split second and the computer reboots.

- Because I can't get in Windows AT ALL, I can't use the AVAST uninstall utility.
- The only thing I can do is using the recovery options such as the command prompt.
 - The repair option works andbgives me an 0x0 result for EVERYTHING also when I "repair" several consecutive times.
 - I do have very recent restoire points, but repair can't  restore any of them (too bad : but I don't have full system restore)

- sfc /scannow doesn't work because another repair program is running (system repair pending)
 - chkdsk doesn't find any problem
 - Memtest86+ does not find any problems. (http://www.memtest86.com/)
 - Bitdefender Boot Disk does not find any problem (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/)
 - Paragon Rescue doesn't find any problem, but doesn't succeed to repair. (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/)
- Partition Wizard does not find any problems (did rebuild MBR > no result :( ) (http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-

wizard-bootable-cd.html
)
- FRST64.exe does not find any problem (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/) See the uploaded FRST64.txt file

Most likely something went wrong during a (automatic) update while I was rendering a video-clip. During the rendering (I wasn't watching the process), the computer crashed and when I came back there was the BSOD.

I ran above test/repair/ options several times, but it never got better : crash on aswRvrt.sys
I renamed aswBoot.exe to aswBoot.xxx to kinda prevent AVAST to start, but same result :(

So, my question is :
How can I stop AVAST to start (even in Safe Mode)
Please remember that I CAN NOT get into windows. So I'm looking for some kinda command line code, or even a manual Registry edit.

I'm using WIN7 Ultimate on a Gigabyte 99FX mobo with AMD 8-core. My bootdisk is a 60GB SSD

To everyone who tries to help me : THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!

Aventador

Re: reboot at "aswRvrt.sys"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »
You seem to know a lot about pc's. Do you have a clean system image to mount? If so then mount it. Problem gone.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 04:41:56 PM »
You can remove Avast using FRST but it will not solve the problem as aswRvrt.sys was the last successfully loaded file

ComputerRepairTech

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 05:01:39 PM »
Can you figure out what the BSOD says?

PaulVdB

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 05:45:17 PM »
You seem to know a lot about pc's. Do you have a clean system image to mount? If so then mount it. Problem gone.
You can remove Avast using FRST but it will not solve the problem as aswRvrt.sys was the last successfully loaded file

Well, I learned alot since this problem happened (last week)  ;)
Yes of course I have ! but then I would have to reinstall all my progs, no ?
If like you say that aswRvrt is the last succesfully loaded file ... then how do I find out wich one is the next file ?
Agree, maybe this is not the right place to ask ... but still ... :)

Oh and btw : Thanks ALOT for your concern and time !!!

PaulVdB

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »

Thanks for your time and concern, Computer Repair Tech ! (ps : can I call you CRT  :D ?)

I was lucky and could take a pic :
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:52:10 PM by PaulVdB »

ComputerRepairTech

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 06:13:35 PM »

Thanks for your time and concern, Computer Repair Tech ! (ps : can I call you CRT  :D ?)

I was lucky and could take a pic :

Not that lucky, unfortunately that doesnt help narrow it down even a little bit.

ComputerRepairTech

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 06:18:49 PM »

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 08:37:27 PM »
to boot w/o avast
in recovery mode goto
in C:\Windows\Sysnative\drivers\
and rename all files "asw*.sys" to "asw*.sys_"
that will prevent avast init it's drivers

if you successfully boot to Windows afterward,
Please check for the corresponding minidump files (in C:\Windows\Minidump) and upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming

good luck and thanks in advance for the dumps

https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

PaulVdB

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 10:46:19 PM »
You can try this to get the sfc scan to run: http://mikemstech.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-perform-offline-system-integrity.html

Wow thanks, CRT !  :D

this did it ! I already did an sfc scan before, but probably used the wrong syntax.
this one did it :
sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\Windows
Now it said that it found corrupt files, but was unable to fix some of them ...
You can guess what my next question is ...  ::)
How do I find wich files are corrupt ? I've been browsing in the CBS file, but I can't find anything that kinda relates to unfixable files...
Nevertheless I rebooted, but no luck... So I started Startup repair again but "Windows cannot repair this computer automaticly". I looked in the repair details, but I didn't see anything else but 0x0's. At the end, however, the repair details stopped abruptly. The last lines are:

Test performed
-----------------------
Name : Boot status test
Result: Completely succesfully, Error code 0x0
Time taken = 0ms

Test

no "End of File" or something to see...

PaulVdB

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »
to boot w/o avast
in recovery mode goto
in C:\Windows\Sysnative\drivers\
and rename all files "asw*.sys" to "asw*.sys_"
that will prevent avast init it's drivers

if you successfully boot to Windows afterward,
Please check for the corresponding minidump files (in C:\Windows\Minidump) and upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming

good luck and thanks in advance for the dumps

Thanks for your time and concern, Dwarden. I'll do what you propose and post the results !

PaulVdB

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 12:39:38 AM »
OK. after renaming the asw*.sys files, Safe mode stopped at the one before ... so it is definatly the "next" service that makes the computer stop and reboot ...
How do I find this "next" service ?

ComputerRepairTech

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 01:35:58 AM »
You can try this to get the sfc scan to run: http://mikemstech.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-perform-offline-system-integrity.html

Wow thanks, CRT !  :D

this did it ! I already did an sfc scan before, but probably used the wrong syntax.
this one did it :
sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\Windows
Now it said that it found corrupt files, but was unable to fix some of them ...
You can guess what my next question is ...  ::)
How do I find wich files are corrupt ? I've been browsing in the CBS file, but I can't find anything that kinda relates to unfixable files...
Nevertheless I rebooted, but no luck... So I started Startup repair again but "Windows cannot repair this computer automaticly". I looked in the repair details, but I didn't see anything else but 0x0's. At the end, however, the repair details stopped abruptly. The last lines are:

Test performed
-----------------------
Name : Boot status test
Result: Completely succesfully, Error code 0x0
Time taken = 0ms

Test

no "End of File" or something to see...

You know thats an excellent question..I actually dont know where the log ends up when running from disc but judging from the dates on the log you posted its not that one.

Edit: I found one guy that said you can set the variable before running sfc like this: set WINDOWS_TRACING_LOGFILE=C:\TEMP\CBS.log
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:38:27 AM by Computer Repair Tech »

PaulVdB

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
Sounds like a plan !
I'll try it rightaway !
again : thanksalot !  ;)

Aventador

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 06:17:23 PM »
Sounds like a plan !
I'll try it rightaway !
again : thanksalot !  ;)

Why don't you just mount your stored system image and save a lot of time and effort.