Author Topic: How to re-register Avast?  (Read 5020 times)

Hiballer

How to re-register Avast?
« on: May 27, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
After I upgraded to Avast 8.0, I am now being told to update my license.  After using help to figure out how to do this, I went to the registration page to enter name, etc.  The registration code was sent to my email account and contained these instructions:

To insert your license key, please follow the instructions below:

1. Highlight the license key above, then right click on it and select "Copy"
2. Open your avast Free Antivirus and select the Maintenance" tab on the left side. Then select "Registration"
3. Click the "Insert the license key" button at the bottom of the screen.
4. Right click in the empty Registration box then select "Paste"
5. Click "OK". Your license key is now inserted and the program can now be used free of charge for a further 12 months.

On the 'Registration' page there is only one active button.  It is marked 'Insert License File'.  When I click it, it produces a dialog box that asks for a FILE, not a KEY.

So?  Where do I go to actually enter the key to continue using Avast?

Bill

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: How to re-register Avast?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »
What version of Avast is this free, pro or AIS

Hiballer

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 04:38:36 PM »
Sorry.  8.0.1489.  Free version.

EDIT:  This might also have a bearing -> when I go to the 'Devices' page on the Avast web site, the computer I am on is NOT listed even though I've registered it under the same email address as my other computers (which are listed).  Does this help?

Bill
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:41:37 PM by Hiballer »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
There is no need to add license files to the free version, once the license is due ( 28 or 14 days left ) it will show the option to re-register in maintenance/registration and you fill out the details and it's done.

Hiballer

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 04:54:28 PM »
Ah.  So it's a date-proximity thing then.  At the top of the Registration page there is what I could only interpret as a warning (it is in red) that I had only 32 days remaining.  The button next to it is 'Upgrade', but that only produces an upgrade list with two active (both payware) options on it.

I'll wait to see what happens in a few days then.

Thanks,

Bill

What about the non-listing of the computer in the Devices page?  How do I fix that?

Hiballer

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
Never mind.  I fixed the Devices page.  My computer never logged into my account.  Now it shows.

Bill

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »
Glad you fixed it :)

Offline COBKA

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »
There is no need to add license files to the free version, once the license is due ( 28 or 14 days left ) it will show the option to re-register in maintenance/registration and you fill out the details and it's done.

Answers my problem too - I have 31 days left and was looking forlornly for the "Register Now" button! D'oh! Mind you it would be useful if they didn't send an email with the instructions how to re-register until you can actually do it!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 07:34:54 PM by COBKA »