Author Topic: My call to tech support sounds exactly like the iYogi scam of 2012  (Read 2988 times)

REDACTED

In February 2013 we bought a 2 yr subscription for 3 computers, for Avast Internet Security.  Husband's computer is now showing "zero days left" and a red x through the avast icon in the tray.  A call to tech support was answered by a well-spoken, hard-selling girl from what sounded like the Phillipines.  She insisted on remote access, and when she was in, she showed me a list of files in what looked like a registry.  Some of them had the status of "normal", but some also had a status of "critical".  She asked me when the last time I did any maintainence like this on my computer, I told her I had never done anything like that, and she was very surprised, because it's a very necessary thing, like car maintenance.  (I do defrag and c-cleaner.)  She also showed me the CPU percentage box showing that it was using only 5%, and should be at 90%. She also said she could not reinstall my avast until all these very dangerous things were fixed.   She mentioned several times she'd been in tech support for 10 yrs.  She said she could offer a service for $179 for a year of support and fixing up my computer.  I told her I wasn't ready to spend any money, so she lowered the price (after checking with her manager!), to $119 for a one-time service. 

No.  I just want my virus protection fixed.

Going online this morning I see that the exact same thing happened to some avast users last year through an independent company hired by avast called iYogi.  But upon Avast discovering this scam, iYogi's service was terminated, also last year.  (One guy on Youtube turned off his sound on an otherwise new computer, and made a recording of his conversation with iYogi telling him he had all kinds of problems.)

Meanwhile, I still l can't insert the license key, and I DON'T want to talk to these tech support ripoff people.  Where can I get help from someone who knows what they're doing?

Thanks!
Paula

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: My call to tech support sounds exactly like the iYogi scam of 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:31:58 AM »
Are you getting any errors when you try to enter the license ?

See http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB7.

Check that the system date, day/month/year is correct and adjust as required.
If correct try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Uninstall/Change and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

If the repair didn't work - You should have a file called license.avastlic -  if you haven't saved it or can't find it:
Resend avast License http://www.avast.com/resend-license-paid.php, you will need to enter the email that you used when purchasing the license, e.g. the one that the original email with the link was sent.

Save that file on your husband's computer hard disk where you can find it again and double click that and it should enter the license.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:34:34 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:48:34 AM »
It said it couldn't find the license, and when I tried to manually put it in, the number/hyphen configuration didn't match. 

But I will try this, thank you!!

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:07:48 AM »
Yes the famous 3rd party support run around to fleece you.

I haven't had much success with a Repair but reinstalling seems to work quite well in these situations.

Try the steps here.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=120454.msg924315#msg924315