Author Topic: Lates "update" crashed my computer!  (Read 5190 times)

Porschefan

Lates "update" crashed my computer!
« on: May 29, 2013, 11:47:01 PM »
Hi,

I installed Avast (free version) after reading a glowing review in PC Max magazine.   This was a few months ago and I replaced MSE with Avast.   All has been great until I got an email saying there was an update to Avast and I downloaded and then installed it.  After doing so, my computer didn't function normally--especially when I ran Excel (2007) which would just hang.   I rebooted again and this time the computer hung up at the Windows "flag" screen (Windows 7 Home Premium).  After another hard reset, the "repair" screen came up and when prompted I told it to restore to an earlier System Restore point and all was good again.

I'm now afraid to update Avast and am considering going back to MSE, or perhaps something else.

I'd like to find out whether there WAS an update within the past few days, or was I the victim of a Phishing attack.   The latter doesn't seem likely as I would suspect a Phish would have screwed things up a lot more than they were.

Any advice?   I guess I could reinstall the update (after creating a System Restore point!), but I'm very wary about doing so.

TIA for any info or suggestions.

Stephen Porter

marc-d-l

Re: Lates "update" crashed my computer!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 12:54:08 AM »
Avast doesn't send emails.Who was the email from? Avast automaticly downloads updates.

Porschefan

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 11:14:25 PM »
Avast doesn't send emails.Who was the email from? Avast automaticly downloads updates.

Sorry, it wasn't an email.   It was just a popup message saying there was a new update and asking if I wanted to install it.

Has there been a recent update?

Best regards,
STP

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:19:31 PM »
Well avast 8.0.1489 was released about three weeks ago.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Porschefan

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 03:01:43 AM »
Where can I get the version number on my copy?   I can't find the usual "Help, About" dialog.

TIA.

Stephen Porter

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 03:27:43 AM »
Where can I get the version number on my copy?   I can't find the usual "Help, About" dialog.

TIA.

Stephen Porter

Open the GUI and go to Maintenance. Or Right Click Tray Icon and select "About Avast" :)

Porschefan

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 03:35:27 AM »
Thanks.... I have 8.0.1489, and all seems to be working.   I'll certainly be careful and on alert if I see any more pop-ups like that.

STP

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 03:36:45 AM »
Thanks.... I have 8.0.1489, and all seems to be working.   I'll certainly be careful and on alert if I see any more pop-ups like that.

STP

No worries ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 11:29:11 AM »

TIA.

Stephen Porter

Couldn't be easier, right click the avast tray icon and select About avast!
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 08:45:38 PM »

TIA.

Stephen Porter

Couldn't be easier, right click the avast tray icon and select About avast!

Dido ;)