Author Topic: SPEED=DEATH MARCH  (Read 3530 times)

milson

SPEED=DEATH MARCH
« on: December 01, 2005, 02:22:36 AM »
I have been using Avast 4.6 for several days now and althogh it seems to have some good points, the speed is unacceptable.
I am using Firefox Mozilla and Thurnderbird (latest versions) and when I 'delete' an e-mail item it takes about EIGHT SECONDS to transfer it to 'Trash.'
It also appears to prevent multi-tasking. It will not move to another instruction/program until the first action has been completed.
Is this typical or just something wrong with my version?
I had used Norton AntiVirus for years but it failed to load on two occasions recently, therefore I am trying alternatives.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: SPEED=DEATH MARCH
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 04:08:49 AM »
The cure is almost certainly in your hands - I am pretty sure that you are not using Thunderbird to best effect.

See this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=16272.msg137741#msg137741

basically - empty the trash and compact the Thunderbird folders.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:41:55 PM »
This typically happens with Standard Shield's sensitivity set to High. Do you have it set to Normal or High?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 01:37:33 PM »
Also, I'm assuming you still have Norton installed on the same system where you run avast! just because you haven't mentioned you uninstalled it. You should be aware that two resident antiviruses installed and running on the same system in the same time, will give you nothing but problems. They simply can not work together, and it's not the case with avast! only, but with any other resident antivirus program.

Uninstall (if you haven't done that already) Norton completely, and I mean completely. There are hundreds of threads in this forum (use search feature, button up there) dealing with Norton uninstallation procedure, plus they provide links for all those removal tools for your particular version of Norton. Once it's completely wiped out from your system, you can reinstall (from the scratch) avast!
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

milson

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 01:05:06 AM »
Yes it is set to high.

Norton was completely uninstalled before installing Avast.

Particularly irritating now that I have discovered it cuts out music playing/recording when another event happens - such as an e-mail is received.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 01:11:46 AM »
High scan every file, so yes it can have an impact, you should be fine with the Standard Shield set to Normal, give that a try.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 01:15:11 AM »
You can have it set to high if you will just emtpy all your trash folders in Thunderbird and then compact all your folders.  These actions are essential for the proper working of Thunderbird in an antivirus scanning environment.