Author Topic: Avast 7 or 8 Installed on Windows 7  (Read 15151 times)

ManyQs

Re: Avast 7 or 8 Installed on Windows 7
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 05:16:41 PM »
I did not misquote that man. 

ManyQs

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 05:23:44 PM »

From this Windows 7 page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-za/windows7/using-windows-defender

Real-time protection.‍‍ Windows Defender alerts you when spyware attempts to install itself or to run on your computer. It also alerts you when programs attempt to change important Windows settings.

Anti-spyware also provides alerts when programs attempt to change important Windows settings?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 05:25:48 PM »
It's the author's miss quote so I'd suggest you take the issue up with him because he was the one that was wrong.

I'd also suggest you google for your answers a bit more thoroughly and cross reference the answers you receive as you would have solved this dilemma by yourself if you researched better.

"Note" that Defender never included an Anti-virus until it was released on Windows 8.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 05:29:13 PM »

From this Windows 7 page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-za/windows7/using-windows-defender

Real-time protection.‍‍ Windows Defender alerts you when spyware attempts to install itself or to run on your computer. It also alerts you when programs attempt to change important Windows settings.

Anti-spyware also provides alerts when programs attempt to change important Windows settings?
Yes and ?

ManyQs

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 05:41:45 PM »
When you have time I'd be interested to know, craigb, what you think the "other potentially unwanted software" could be in this explanation given below:

Monitors security-related settings in Windows. Spyware and other potentially unwanted software can change hardware and software security settings, and then collect information that can be used to further undermine your computer's security.

Thank you.

From Microsoft here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/understanding-windows-defender-real-time-protection

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
other potentially unwanted software
Programs that install without your knowledge.

Everything your discussing is already included within avast, Defender has an appalling detection rate and is why we suggest to disable and if wanting extra protection install Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware.

ManyQs

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »
I apologize for not being clear with the question.

The use of "other" by some engineer(s) at Microsoft, and it is used frequently on that page, means Windows Defender is not just blocking spyware.  Agreed?  So I was wondering, in your opinion, what other malware might they be referring to?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »
You said it yourself "malware" but it's crap at it's job so best off disabled and install something of merit.

I don't believe anything further needs to be discussed here, all your questions have been answered (even if your not willing to believe what is being told to you) and further queries should be directed to your google knowledge base. 

ManyQs

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
I am still waiting for Gopher John's answer.

And I hope that statement doesn't mean you intend to lock this thread.  Was that a statement in your capacity as a moderator?  Or your personal opinion?

ManyQs

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 06:53:52 PM »
You said it yourself "malware" but it's crap at it's job so best off disabled and install something of merit.

And I think you are trying to dodge my point, which I am sure you saw.

Windows Defender is doing something other than being an anti-spyware product.  You've just admitted that yourself.

Now when we start to define "malware" we are expanding the field considerably.

So the question stands -- what other malware is Windows Defender blocking?

By the way, your personal opinion as to the merit of a security product is off-topic here.  I am not asking anyone for their views on which anti-virus, anti-spyware, and/or anti-malware product is better than another.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 07:01:53 PM »
Moderators are Avast staff and it was my personal opinion that you need to move on.

To answer for Gopher John, resident means that there are no low level Anti-virus drivers installed or running since it is Spyware only.

Johnny4745

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 07:02:04 PM »
Windows Defender

Windows Defender, formerly known as Microsoft AntiSpyware, is a software product that helps combat malware. Windows Defender was initially an antispyware program; it is included with Windows Vista and Windows 7 and is available as a free download for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. In Windows 8, however, it is upgraded to an antivirus program.

Continued:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »
So the question stands -- what other malware is Windows Defender blocking?

By the way, your personal opinion as to the merit of a security product is off-topic here.  I am not asking anyone for their views on which anti-virus, anti-spyware, and/or anti-malware product is better than another.
That is what I said to go and Google for yourself ( try googling what is Spyware ), no one here that I know of uses it because it's rubbish, plus this isn't your conspiracy chat site to conjure up all these theories you come up with all the time, Please move on and stop being a pest >:(

As for off topic! you are the one who changed the topic of discussion when you mentioned Defender ( not the topic title is it  ::) )

ManyQs

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
Moderators are Avast staff and it was my personal opinion that you need to move on.

To answer for Gopher John, resident means that there are no low level Anti-virus drivers installed or running since it is Spyware only.

Thank you for the clarification on my question about whether the thread was being locked or not.

To move on, you wrote "since it is Spyware only" but we have established that it is not only a spyware product, before it's change in Windows 8.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »
Everything has been answered for you, use google for your research.

Time to move on and I'm requesting for this thread to be locked as it's going nowhere and your questions just go on and on and that is not what this forum is for.