Author Topic: Off Topic But  (Read 6625 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
Off Topic But
« on: May 31, 2013, 10:02:14 PM »
I just got a call from someone telling me there is something wrong with my computer.  I have no idea of who this person was.  He even knew my name.  I told him there was nothing wrong with my computer, told him I knew this had to be a scam and hung up.  I tried to call the number back the phone didn't rings, I just got beeping sound.  Anyone have any idea of who this person might be and how he knew my name?

Any replies would be appreciated.

I just tried to call that number again and this time got a message........."sorry, this call cannot be completed as dialed."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:10:00 PM by -midnight »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Off Topic But
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »
I just got a call from someone telling me there is something wrong with my computer.  I have no idea of who this person was.  He even knew my name.  I told him there was nothing wrong with my computer, told him I knew this had to be a scam and hung up.  I tried to call the number back the phone didn't rings, I just got beeping sound.  Anyone have any idea of who this person might be and how he knew my name?

I just tried to call that number again and this time got a message........."sorry, this call cannot be completed as dialed."
We aren't mind readers so the answer is no. You had the person on the phone. Why did you ask him those questions before you hung up ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 10:30:32 PM »

We aren't mind readers so the answer is no. You had the person on the phone. Why did you ask him those questions before you hung up ???

I did ask who it was.  He said he was from phishcom or maybe fishcom. 

Never mind, I'll have our phone company trace the call.  Should have know better to even post this.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 10:33:56 PM »
Treat this as a scam. Don't give out any personal or financial information.

Please read here. -> http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

It may have not been someone posing as Microsoft Tech Support but sounds very similar.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:36:09 PM by Charyb »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 10:40:18 PM »
Hi -midnight,

Aren't you aware of this information? -> https://www.wellsfargo.com/privacy_security/fraud/operate/emails
As Charyb says -
"Do not share any confidential information through suspicious emails, websites, social media networks, text messages or phone calls."

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 11:01:42 PM »
Hi -midnight,

Aren't you aware of this information? -> https://www.wellsfargo.com/privacy_security/fraud/operate/emails
As Charyb says -
"Do not share any confidential information through suspicious emails, websites, social media networks, text messages or phone calls."

polonus

I definitely didn't give any confidential information.  I told him I knew this was a scam, never to call me again and hung up.

Offline MrMaxaMan

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 02:21:48 AM »
My Mother keeps getting these types of calls, the callers always have an Indian accent and say there's something wrong with her computer, they then ask for access to the computer and after messing around with it for a while told her that if she didn't pay them some money the computer would stop working. She's a pensioner with little computer experience so I sorted things out for her, thankfully she didn't pay them anything.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:27:04 AM »
My Mother keeps getting these types of calls, the callers always have an Indian accent and say there's something wrong with her computer, they then ask for access to the computer and after messing around with it for a while told her that if she didn't pay them some money the computer would stop working. She's a pensioner with little computer experience so I sorted things out for her, thankfully she didn't pay them anything.

This man had the same accent.  He didn't get a chance to ask for access to my computer because I told him off and hung up.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 11:06:41 AM »

This man had the same accent.  He didn't get a chance to ask for access to my computer because I told him off and hung up.

-midnight IF you ever get another phone call like this again remain calm try and get as much information as you can about his/her behaviour before hanging up the phone, as long as you don't give out any of you're private details or information over the phone. That you may have enough to file a complaint to the police, you're bank and even the phone company can help you stop these phone scam calls they won't do this without enough details and information before filing a complaint. We get this same issue in Australia and we reported to the AFP ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »
Just leave hanging on the phone while you take time to have a cup of tea and biccies, then say they will have to wait a little longer as the system is slow booting.  But having said that the longest I managed to hold onto one was twenty minutes :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
Just leave hanging on the phone while you take time to have a cup of tea and biccies, then say they will have to wait a little longer as the system is slow booting.  But having said that the longest I managed to hold onto one was twenty minutes :)

Not bad, let's keep them waiting and waste their time/money... 8)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 06:50:32 PM »

Not bad, let's keep them waiting and waste their time/money... 8)

I didn't think about keeping him on the phone but should this happen again, I will.

Offline digmor crusher

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 06:36:36 AM »
Last time they called me and said there was something wrong with my computer I told him I had 3 computers, please tell me which one has the problem. I had him running around in circles for about 10 minutes before he hung up on me.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »
Last time they called me and said there was something wrong with my computer I told him I had 3 computers, please tell me which one has the problem. I had him running around in circles for about 10 minutes before he hung up on me.

lol...Wish I had done the same with this guy.  I should have told him I had another call, put him on hold and called the Police, then clicked back over so someone at the Police Department could hear what he was saying.