Author Topic: Shopping Sidekick plug in-how do I remove it?  (Read 10019 times)

mompea

Re: Shopping Sidekick plug in-how do I remove it?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 07:41:22 AM »
Sorry forgot the second part to the question- my computer seems to be running a little slower than before. I have also deleted over 100 temporary files and games I had downloaded hoping that would help the computer run  little bit faster.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 11:27:48 AM »
For the speed a defrag may well help

What browser is showing shopping sidekick ?

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator" the tool will open and start scanning your system
  • please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

mompea

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 02:39:20 AM »
Here is the JRT result:

mompea

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 03:16:48 AM »
I'm running disc defrag. I went to my library of tasks to run my disc defrag and received this" Task image is corrupt or has been tampered with. MaxPerformaSys". The library was a list of all the scheduled   scans, checks, etc I had set up on my computer

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 03:25:19 PM »
Do you use maxperforma as your disc defragmenter ?   Also has the sidekick now disappeared

mompea

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »
I apologize for the prolonged delay in getting back to you. We have had horrendous storms and have been without power for almost a week. No more pop-ups!!! Hooray!! Thank you, thank you, thank you essexboy.
The computer is running a fair bit slower even after deleting all the extraneous files. I have defragmented multiple times, but no improvement. Any other suggestions?

mompea

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
Sorry forgot to answer the defrg question. I use the in computer disc defrag program. I am unfamiliar with the program you mentioned.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 07:46:25 PM »
There is no problem on the delay.  I will remove the tools and then look at the speed :)

Maxperforma is a disc defragmenter you appear to have installed

Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself. 

Clear Restore Points

Go Start > All Programmes > Accessories > System tools
Right click Disc Cleanup and select run as administrator
When it pops up at the first prompt select OK after it has done some calculations the tabs will appear
Select More Options tab
Press Sytem Restore and Shadow Copies Cleanup button

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

If you use on-line banking then as an added layer of protection install Trusteer Rapport

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe  :wave: