Author Topic: Automatic delete?  (Read 7309 times)

bvpusa

Automatic delete?
« on: December 07, 2004, 04:57:04 PM »
Can you set up auto delete of detected incoming virus files?  I have On Access Scanner 4.5-523.

Thanks Ken

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Automatic delete?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 05:00:02 PM »
First of all I suggest you upgrade Avast to the latest version (4.5.549)

Yes you can set Avast to automaticly delete infected files if you have the Pro version. On the Home version you can only use the "silent mode" option to move files automaticly to the chest.

EdRotberg

Re: Automatic delete?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 10:27:44 PM »
"Yes you can set Avast to automaticly delete infected files if you have the Pro version. On the Home version you can only use the "silent mode" option to move files automaticly to the chest."

This is all well and good, but it's not obvious how to set it to silently, automatically delete viruses instead of putting up the dialog box.  Please help me understand HOW to do this.

Thanks in advanced.

= Ed =

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 10:39:11 PM »
Please help me understand HOW to do this.

Left click the 'a' blue icon.
It will start On-access protection

Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.

Do the same for the and Outlook/Exchange plugin.
The answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning. You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.

You can do the same for Standard Shield provider, but it won't be a good idea...

Silent mode in the case of the WebShield provider simply means that avast will keep pressing the "Abort connection" button for hte user automatically.
The best things in life are free.

EdRotberg

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 11:06:57 PM »
Thanks Technical!

I'm running the Pro version.

= Ed =

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 01:29:36 AM »
I'm running the Pro version.

Well, it's easier than...
Just go to the Virus Page and choose the actions to be taken.
You'll make a sequence:

Repair <if fails then> Move to Chest <if fails then> Delete ...

You should configure each Task individually...
avast is super-hiper-configurable  8)

EdRotberg

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 11:26:40 PM »
OK, I can get it to silently move viruses to the "chest", but I have no interest in that.  I want to silently DELETE them.  What additional magic, that I cannot find in the documentation is required to have Avast silently DELETE viruses attached to email.  I am running Avast Pro.

I can't seem to get rid of the "choose action" case, so I clicked "And" and added an action to delete the file permanently.  Is this correct?  I did the other modification to Inernet Mail to set Silent Mode.  I'm not sure how having that "choose action" case in the Virus response will affect all of this, and there seems to be no way to get rid of it and just have delete file as the only option, which is what I want.

I guess I'll have to wait for the next virus to come around :(

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me.  Please be specific, though.  I'm still new to Avast.

= Ed =
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 11:34:10 PM by EdRotberg »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 12:45:53 AM »
Using the Nuclear option first is not advisable - if for any reason a system/important file is incorrectly identified you could seriously harm your system.

You should use the same principal as doctors, first do no harm - repair, move to chest, delete should be your last option not the first - but it is your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

EdRotberg

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 03:44:32 AM »
This is for the email stuff.  If somebody sends me something critical that looks like a virus, I can always get it resent.

= Ed =

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 04:44:38 PM »
Ahhh, I though you were intending this for all on-access scanners.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 07:58:52 PM »
In Virus Page of Internet Mail Provider and Outlook plugin set it to:
Delete <if fails> Move to Chest

On the Simple User Interface, Silent Mode, set the default answer to 'Yes'  ;)