Author Topic: Why Google Drive? And why no option for install??  (Read 2965 times)

Hopworks

Why Google Drive? And why no option for install??
« on: June 05, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
I just performed a clean Windows 7 Home Premium install on my Mother-in-Law's replaced and unwanted HP Pavilion Slimline to avoid the bloatware and an apparent virus on the factory image and everything was great! After I installed Chrome, next came Avast! 8.0.1489 and was very careful about the options during a custom install.

Well, either not careful enough, I'm blind, or the option just isn't there, but during the end of the installation, I noticed "Installing Google Drive". I hadn't even rebooted yet, nor did any pop ups show. It was part of the fresh install!!! When I went to control panel / programs / programs and features / uninstall or change a programs, there it was... "Google Drive"!!

I don't want it. If I did, I would go out and get it. What does Google Drive have to do with my security? Stuff like this is starting to make Avast! smell a lot like AVG and it scares me. I have either recommended or installed Avast! for countless people that I know or built machines for.

Sigh, so to get rid of Google Drive I should be able to go back to the restore point during installation right? I was going to make an image of this install the moment the definitions updated. Now it feels unclean. Maybe I will just start over.

I still owe it to Avast though. It couldn't I.D. the virus on my factory image, but it constantly complained of malware connection attempts right after I installed Avast, which was the first app I installed after a factory restore. I would love to know how that root kit trojan got into the factory install image. Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 found and removed it.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Why Google Drive? And why no option for install??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:22:39 PM »
You should have been given an opt-out screen.
If not see...http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117411.msg909374#msg909374
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
I still owe it to Avast though. It couldn't I.D. the virus on my factory image, but it constantly complained of malware connection attempts right after I installed Avast, which was the first app I installed after a factory restore. I would love to know how that root kit trojan got into the factory install image. Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 found and removed it.
no security program have 100% detection....
what was the name of the malware found?
where was it located....full file path?

Hopworks

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »
You should have been given an opt-out screen.
If not see...http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117411.msg909374#msg909374
I did the custom install and I did not see that opt out, unless of course I just missed it.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »
It's completely possible there wasn't a screen/option.
If you checked out the thread I provided you will find it may be a bug.
So, you are not the only one to complain/post about this happening.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.