Author Topic: will Avast find PushDo?  (Read 11337 times)

Offline ColinWB

Re: will Avast find PushDo?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 11:02:19 PM »
Hopefully the following is appropriate.  Thank you in advance.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 11:14:08 PM »
That one actually looks nice and clean ..  How is it behaving ?

Offline ColinWB

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 04:21:11 PM »
The machine works fine, good and fast.  I'm still unable to send emails, and am still IP  188.119.192.40.  The WiMax coy techno has given me the following advice which, quite frankly, I'm very reluctant to follow as I 'm not happy about adding code I don't understand to a machine which may not have a problem........

One possible thing you can try additionally is to force any attempts to send anything to 78.47.46.141 to a dummy IP address. This will only work for that address though and it may change.

This can be done by editing the file:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS and adding the line:

127.0.0.1 78.47.46.141

to the end. The file will look a bit like this:

# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#      127.0.0.1       localhost
#      ::1             localhost
127.0.0.1      localhost

So where do I go from here if my machines are clean?  The first IP address I was given has been clear on Spamhaus (188.119.192.56) for some time; my current IP is blocked.  Apart from going back to the previous WiMax provider (who was more expensive but I was able to send!) what is your advice please?

Offline ColinWB

Can the fault be with CBL
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »
CBL appears to be the only site that blocks my IP.  Can this be the villain?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »
127.0.0.1 78.47.46.141 this entry will route all your data to a server in Germany .. See screenshot.  I do not understand what he is trying to achieve there as if it is a dummy address then your internet may cease to work 

It was last detected at 2013-06-08 02:00 GMT (+/- 30 minutes), approximately 6 days, 12 hours, 29 minutes ago.
CBL report.  If you have no problem using hotspots then it is your ISP at fault 
Why do they insist on giving a static IP and why will they not change it

Offline ColinWB

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 09:02:59 PM »
Three weeks to the day since it all started and suddenly I can send without difficulty.  Don't understand why but grateful to you for your support.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 09:50:34 PM »
Not a problem, to be honest all you had was a little adware..  I wonder if you were given an IP that was previously a spambot ?

Offline ColinWB

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »
I am embarressed to say I need to re-open this discussion.  After the 3 weeks of being unable to send emails, suddenly the fog cleared and all resumed to normal as tho' nothing had ever happened. 

After many weeks of sending emails without problems we turned everything off when the builders came to change the electrics.  After 28 hrs or so I booted everything up, sent a few emails only to find my (new?) IP address was being blocked by CBL.  (188.119.192.40)  I have checked ALL internal IP addresses, I have deep scanned with Avast, I have used MS Security Scanner (deep) and all say no problems.   I've done lookup and ipconfigs.   If I go to the ISP I'm sure they'll say I am infected but I am sure I'm not.  Is there any way of seeing if the ISP is provably at fault?   I have one last trump card....a laptop I have not opened for 2 years, so if this sends blocked mails (if you see what I mean) then it has to be them, but how do I convince them?  Help again please, famed avast !

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »
Try the laptop and see if that gets blocked

Offline ColinWB

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »
The laptop has not been used since Feb2013; I thought it was older.  However, an outgoing email was blocked.
A direct question please - can it be my mail.domain.com  outgoing server to blame?  It's own IP address passed when I checked the sequence of numbers, so I assume it's clean along with ALL other internal numbers.   I do not have contact with everyone using this ISP in Spain but the local area general chat  forum, chaired by the ISP's local agent, is not being flooded with complaints like mine.   why me?  What's happening and how do I solve it?  A totally new install of W7 seems to be the only solution.  Or dirching the company and going back to a more expensive and slower competitor.  It's all very starnge.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 11:42:07 PM »
If the laptop was blocked then there is nothing on your computers causing this, in my assessment,  it is an ISP problem.  Is your IP address able to be changed ?

Offline ColinWB

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 09:40:52 PM »
Hooray....they admit it's their fault !      Thanks very much for your input.

Brgds......   Out!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 09:42:46 PM »
Glad it is now resolved for a while I thought that there was something brand new that I was not seeing, even though the evidence said otherwise :)