Author Topic: question about firewall- "unavailable in free"  (Read 16786 times)

boyd jackson

question about firewall- "unavailable in free"
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:21:24 PM »
Alright let me tell you the whole story.  Two weeks ago I had a nasty virus that really messed up my Windows 7 computer and basically made it unworkable until I took it to the computer tech and he fixed it.  However what he did is update my computer with new virus protection software.  He got rid of McAfee (at least, that's what he told me- it doesn't appear to be here anymore since I don't see it anywhere on my desktop) and replaced it with two things- avast! and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  Now all the information for Malwarebytes is up to date and checks out accordingly thanks to some spot-on and very helpful emails I had with a fellow last night, however I'm not sure what's going on with avast!  I did some searching but can't find an email address to talk to someone directly about the following question.  When I click on the Home option it says "Firewall- Unavailable in Free" and I'm not sure why this is.  Is is possible that Malwarebytes is overriding this firewall so it's not important and I don't need it, or do I really have to spend 20 bucks to activate the firewall feature?  I don't quite understand why it's not already on.  How secure is my computer without the avast! firewall activated?  Or perhaps it is already on and I'm misreading it.  Any help on the matter would be incredibly helpful.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: question about firewall- "unavailable in free"
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
Avast free does not have the firewall component.  There needs to be some way for the company to make a few bob :)

So it is only available in AIS http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »
How secure is my computer without the avast! firewall activated?
you do have windows firewall  ;)
and you are probably behind a router or ISP box with firewall

boyd jackson

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:37:46 PM »
Wait, I do have a firewall on?  Where is it?  Thanks for the replies guys- really appreciate it.  So I take it there's two versions of avast!  A free one that is only so-so reliable with less features, and one that costs you... haven't looked up the price yet (I imagine a monthly charge)?  I don't see a free trial with an expiration date so I assume this free one running currently will remain? 

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »
For more information about avast upgrades see http://www.avast.com/en-us/compare-antivirus  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:44:14 PM »
free is free for a year, you only have to register....when time is out, you register again

compare avast  http://www.avast.com/en-no/compare-antivirus

FAQ  http://www.avast.com/en-no/faq.php

Johnny4745

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:52:44 PM »
Wait, I do have a firewall on?  Where is it?  Thanks for the replies guys- really appreciate it.  So I take it there's two versions of avast!  A free one that is only so-so reliable with less features, and one that costs you... haven't looked up the price yet (I imagine a monthly charge)?  I don't see a free trial with an expiration date so I assume this free one running currently will remain?

It doesn't cost a lot, but I think the price varies depending on which product you look at first.

This link was on the Avast website, but when you click on it you are taken to another website, that has a lower price.

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

boyd jackson

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:53:41 PM »
According to that page, it doesn't appear the free version is very good at all- it blocks viruses and spyware, but that's basically it.  I believe my McAfee settings were stronger/more reliable (then again, maybe not if I had such a big problem with my computer two weeks ago).  This makes me think right now, in my current free setting, avast! is NOT very safe at all.  It makes me think that I can't really visit any website that involves money (stock trading) and personal passwords without a fear that my information could be at risk for being discovered/stolen by hackers.  Would you say this is true?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 11:02:43 PM »
Avast free detection rates and cleaning abilities are the same as Avast premier. 

If you want secure online banking then at a minimum you will need Pro with safe zone

I believe that Avast Pro is cheaper than McAfee

The paid versions have the bells and whistles that the general user who does not do online banking has no requirement for

boyd jackson

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
Usually when I'm done banking I log out, but I'm concerned with the free version of avast! that someone might be able to obtain my information while I'm logged in.  What about adult entertainment?  I occasionally look at that stuff where viruses are possible, as well as music files.  Of course neither of these are as important as my bank account, but I really want to make sure I don't have a computer crash like the one two weeks ago (the source of which was never discovered).  Basically I want a secure system similar to when I had McAfee before the disaster two weeks ago.  Let me say again, I appreciate all the help. :)  Do you think it'd be wise to lay down the 20 bucks for the firewall?  I assume the firewall purchase would be good for a year and then I'd have to buy it again.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 11:24:30 PM »
If you are behind a router and using windows 7 or later then Pro would be sufficient as it has safe zone, this is a browser that it totaly isolated from the rest of the computer  http://www.avast.com/lp-safezone

Arnold72

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 12:08:09 AM »
Usually when I'm done banking I log out, but I'm concerned with the free version of avast! that someone might be able to obtain my information while I'm logged in.  What about adult entertainment?  I occasionally look at that stuff where viruses are possible, as well as music files.  Of course neither of these are as important as my bank account, but I really want to make sure I don't have a computer crash like the one two weeks ago (the source of which was never discovered).  Basically I want a secure system similar to when I had McAfee before the disaster two weeks ago.  Let me say again, I appreciate all the help. :)  Do you think it'd be wise to lay down the 20 bucks for the firewall?  I assume the firewall purchase would be good for a year and then I'd have to buy it again.

You could pair avast free with some of the free firewall options available as most users seem to do.
Avast free is a superb antivirus and you should be quite safe with it although judging by your post if you browse on the dark side then your a risky user to start off with.

To compare avast with Mcafee is quite laughable as avast is far more superior.
Give avast a go with a free firewall option and see how it goes or use the windows firewall which is right inside the OS.

Thanks.

boyd jackson

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 07:14:56 AM »
I know going on the "dark" side of internet searching is a little risky, that's why I'm looking for as much protection as possible.  However I really can't be distracted by that stuff when my online bank account and stock site is the most important thing, and I want to make sure nothing or nobody touches my money (not to sound selfish or anything- I have to be protective I hope you understand) :)  What are some of the free firewall options?  Can you give me some examples?

Arnold72

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 12:31:20 PM »
Most popular appear to be....

Online Armor free.
Comodo Firewall.
Privatefirewall.
Zonealarm.

Personally i use the comodo firewall as its extremely light.

Good luck.

boyd jackson

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »
Thanks.  I'm concerned there might be some issues since I already have Malware and now avast! together.  I wouldn't know if running yet another feature might be too much for my Windows 7.  If I were to download Comodo, would there be any, shall I say, miscommunications?  I mean, I would now have THREE things all running together.  Would there be any issues with so many things running at once?