Author Topic: question about firewall- "unavailable in free"  (Read 16785 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: question about firewall- "unavailable in free"
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 10:03:58 PM »
avast, MalwareBytes Free or Pro and Comodo Firewall work quite well together. Check out our signatures.
Personally I use avast free, MBAM Pro and CFW with no issues. Comodo has a built-in sandbox and kiosk.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Comodo-Personal-Firewall.shtml

To install just the firewall, follow these instructions.
http://www.knightwithapc.com/2011/11/download-comodo-firewall/ 

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Privatefirewall.shtml
http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Online-Armor-Free.shtml  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

boyd jackson

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
Thanks. :)  How much does Comodo firewall cost?  The link you took me to says it's free after the first download page, but it might only be a limited free trial thing and in a couple weeks, I'll be expected to purchase the firewall.  I hope you understand my worries- too many things running together might make my Windows 7 slow down a lot, or have start-up issues.  I just don't like to put too much stuff on my computer.  At least, keep it so it doesn't affect the performance in which the computer is running (nice and smooth right now).  Perhaps being a neat freak is making me this way. :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 06:58:24 PM »
How much does Comodo firewall cost?

It's free.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Aventador

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 07:30:04 PM »
Keep in mind that the problem with most 3rd party firewalls is the constant pop ups. You need to be computer savvy at times. If your behind a router then Windows 7 Firewall will suit you just fine.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 07:37:59 PM »
If your worried about your systems performance then stick with the windows firewall that is already on your computer and Avast, you can run the free version of Malwarebytes in a quick scan once a week and you should be fine :)

If you happen to frequent risky sites and do a lot of banking on line then follow the advice Para-Noid has supplied for you.

Aventador

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 08:20:31 PM »
If your worried about your systems performance then stick with the windows firewall that is already on your computer and Avast, you can run the free version of Malwarebytes in a quick scan once a week and you should be fine :)

If you happen to frequent risky sites and do a lot of banking on line then follow the advice Para-Noid has supplied for you.

Good advice but 3rd party firewalls are not meant to protect banking sites. Online Armor does have a banking mode I do believe. But it will give you tons of pop ups even after "leaning mode".

Arnold72

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »
Keep in mind that the problem with most 3rd party firewalls is the constant pop ups. You need to be computer savvy at times. If your behind a router then Windows 7 Firewall will suit you just fine.

That is utter nonsense.

You only get a pop up on a fresh install and you allow all your safe apps and then the comodo firewall is silent.
If a trojan gets on your system with windows firewall then it will be allowed to download more malware and setting up the windows firewall is a right pain.

Thanks.

Aventador

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 12:16:28 AM »

That is utter nonsense.

You only get a pop up on a fresh install and you allow all your safe apps and then the comodo firewall is silent.
If a trojan gets on your system with windows firewall then it will be allowed to download more malware and setting up the windows firewall is a right pain.

Thanks.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that is not true. I have used everyone out there. Firewalls are not meant to stop trojans. That is the job of your antivirus. And when Windows 7 properly configured its stronger then any 3rd party firewall WITHOUT using more system resources. Setting up Windows 7 firewall is fairly easy if you follow the right guides.

boyd jackson

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 04:34:07 PM »
Dumb question- how do I know if I have a router?   I guess I don't really know what a router is... at the risk of sounding really clueless I bet :)

When I open my Windows 7 Firewall, it says "Windows firewall is on" in at least 3 different spots (Domain, Private and Public Profiles).  I'm not sure how much protection this firewall is providing me at the moment. 

I'm probably going to go with Comodo.  I don't mind the occasional pop-ups, as long as they don't mess up my performance drastically, or in other words, if they only freeze my computer for a few seconds at a time during an update or whatever.  I expect a little lag time then.

As for my banking issues, well I'm only on my banking site for no more than 5-10 minutes a day unless I have a problem (related to banking) and then log out when I'm done.  I'm just hoping -even though I have avast! and Malware Anti-virus- that nobody is able to view the material on my banking account page while I'm logged in. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:35:41 PM by boyd jackson »

Aventador

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »
If you are unsure if your behind a router then Comodo or any other 3rd party firewall is not for you. Are you using a laptop or desktop? Are you wireslessly connected or hardwired? Does your modem plug into your computer or through another device such as a router. If your at home the select "home".

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
To lessen the number of pop-ups in CFW set both the HIPS and firewall to "training mode" for a few days.
I've done this and haven't seen a pop-up in quite some time.

I'd hold off on getting CFW for a while, they are working on a new version with a lot of bug fixes.  :)

Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Arnold72

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 11:07:38 PM »
If you are unsure if your behind a router then Comodo or any other 3rd party firewall is not for you. Are you using a laptop or desktop? Are you wireslessly connected or hardwired? Does your modem plug into your computer or through another device such as a router. If your at home the select "home".

I would imagine the public setting would be more appropriate and more secure.
I would suggest using CFW 5.10 or 5.12.they are stable enough and ive used 5.12 for ages with no problems.
By default windows firewall allows all outbound and a malware can phone home to its heart content if one gets by your defenses.

Aventador

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 12:07:42 AM »

I would suggest using CFW 5.10 or 5.12.they are stable enough and ive used 5.12 for ages with no problems.
By default windows firewall allows all outbound and a malware can phone home to its heart content if one gets by your defenses.

Incorrect...............If your home that means "home". If your in a public wifi then use "public". Its that easy. First of all malware has to get by your antivirus first. If you distrust Avast so much and think it will miss malware calling home then why use Avast? The chances of malware calling home are slim to none. Out bound protect is mainly for paranoid users who want granular control over there OS. Mr. Jackson does not even know what a router is. Do you honestly think he can handle a Comodo alert stating "svchost.exe wants to connect. Do you want to allow or block it?". Or xyz.exe is accessing a protected registry key. Do you want to allow or block it. Comodo is a very powerful firewall but only in the hands of a knowledgeable pc user. In the beginners hands is can render a system unbootable.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:18:12 AM by Aventador »

timcan

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 12:25:12 AM »

I agree with you Arnold72  :) (I believe you were referring to the windows firewall in this context).
This quote is from the windows help files:
Choose Public network for networks in public places (such as coffee shops or airports). This location is designed to keep your computer from being visible to other computers around you and to help protect your computer from any malicious software from the Internet. HomeGroup is not available on public networks, and network discovery is turned off. You should also choose this option if you're connected directly to the Internet without using a router, or if you have a mobile broadband connection.

Note
If you know you won’t need to share files or printers, the safest choice is public network.

Arnold72

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 01:31:10 PM »

I agree with you Arnold72  :) (I believe you were referring to the windows firewall in this context).
This quote is from the windows help files:
Choose Public network for networks in public places (such as coffee shops or airports). This location is designed to keep your computer from being visible to other computers around you and to help protect your computer from any malicious software from the Internet. HomeGroup is not available on public networks, and network discovery is turned off. You should also choose this option if you're connected directly to the Internet without using a router, or if you have a mobile broadband connection.

Note
If you know you won’t need to share files or printers, the safest choice is public network.

Yes that is what i meant thanks.
I use the public setting all the time even when at home.