Author Topic: Phone stolen! need help on steps to take!  (Read 2042 times)

vizion

Phone stolen! need help on steps to take!
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:23:17 AM »
Hi, i just recently got my phone stolen/lost. I logged into the web interface and everything i tried to do has "command timed out". I, then tried to send a SMS command with the following "pin LOST" and the web interface still says that my phone is not marked lost. I Was wondering what i am doing wrong here? could it be the fact that phone is off? Thanks for your help.

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Phone stolen! need help on steps to take!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »
Hello,

leave the webinterface out of this. The upside of the online portal is, that it’s convenient. The upside of SMS commands is, that they are more reliable and will work even without internet connection (which might be relevant if the thief changes the SIM to a prepaied non-internet SIM card)

In order to track your phone you should start by contact the person (friend/family member) who’s phone number is set as “friend” number in Anti-Theft.
If the thief changes the SIM card, our app will send a SMS with the current location of the phone and the new phone number (as sending phone number) to this “friend”.
If the friend hasn’t received a SMS, it's most likely that the original SIM card is still in place or the phone has been turned off.

To locate the phone, the user should send a SMS to the phone (to his original phone number - or the new number if the “friend” received a new phone number) with this content

2222 locate

replace 2222 with own avast! PIN - it’s 4-6 digits, only numbers.

There are many SMS commands available that might prove helpful. For example:

GET LOG <query limit>
Sample: 2222 GET LOG 10
Gets the call and SMS log (you see whom the thief called and who called him)

All SMS commands, along with a short description how everything works is explained in our manual available at:
<http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/mobile-security-user-guide-en.pdf>
it's short and easy to understand.

Regards,
Werner