Author Topic: Cannot turn "unsecured wi-fi network detected" warning off  (Read 21382 times)

username

Re: Cannot turn "unsecured wi-fi network detected" warning off
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 03:05:43 AM »
I am having the same problem, when i log on to library wifi (same library, not moving around) it gives me the damn notification and ignores my repeated 'dont show again' choice and bugs me with it every time. So annoying.

xunil76

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »
+1 for this.  I AM NOT AN IDIOT.  i do NOT need to be warned every single time i connect to an unencrypted wifi network.

i work in the public wifi business, and i can tell you that it is not always detrimental to have an unencrypted network, and having this annoying popup come up every single time someone connects to one without the ability to permanently disable this popup will only drive them away from your product.

....(here's a hint, hidden networks with MAC filtering don't need passwords.).....

please.....tell me you don't actually believe this.

if your network is in an area where there are lots of people with wireless devices (apartments, restauraunt/coffee shop, etc.), then you're just deluding yourself if you really believe that no one can connect to your network just because you have the SSID hidden and MAC filtering enabled.

any decent wireless utility (i.e., NOT the one that comes built into windows) can search for and connect to ANY unencrypted wireless network, regardless of whether or not you are publically announcing the name of the network.  and if your wireless data is not being encrypted, a packet sniffer can EASILY find the MAC address of other wireless devices in the area, and from there, it's just a matter of changing the MAC address that the attacker's wireless device announces to a network until they find one that works.

BTW, you DO know that just because a MAC address is hard-coded into a network adapter, that doesn't mean that software can't hide/spoof that to read whatever you want it to....right?

security by obscurity IS NOT SECURITY!!!!

that's like saying you only lock your front door at home and leave the back one unlocked because you have a fence around the backyard with a guard dog.  sure, it may stop the majority of people from getting in, but all it takes is someone who knows how to incapacitate the dog and jump the fence for them to be able to get in.  only this is MUCH easier, because with a wireless connection, the intruder can get in without ever revealing themselves.

katzklaw

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 05:00:17 PM »
exact same problem. driving me bonkers. i'm in an RV park and on public wifi, so i have no choice in the matter of what signal to connect to.  how often does it happen? every single time i need to connect. the wifi at the park i'm in currently is unreliable, so goes in and out alot, so yeah...

http://i.imgur.com/DmiuYfa.jpg

i clicked "don't show again on this network" at the bottom there 10 times after i took this screenshot.

up till recently i've loved Avast and recommended it to others, but now i'm on the verge of swapping to a different antivirus unless someone, anyone, gives me a solution :(

Grewal

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 04:11:18 PM »

Click on Avast icon in system tray.
Goto Settings
Click Popups on left side menu

Change POPUP DURATION for all popups to 0 (Zero)

Click OK

Enjoy :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »

Click on Avast icon in system tray.
Goto Settings
Click Popups on left side menu

Change POPUP DURATION for all popups to 0 (Zero)

Click OK

Enjoy :)
And what has that setting got to do with the topic matter ??? aside from that! setting the popup durations to zero means unlimited ( maximum time ) the lowest time that can be set is 1.

olddog

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 11:09:59 PM »
The somewhat sad thing about this, is that not one of the 10 people who have posted here as having the same problem have made any mention of raising a support ticket.

For an issue to be fixed, it first needs to get onto the books, and then it needs to get priority.
People working for Avast do visit the forum from time to time, but certainly don't take part in every thread. There is no guarantee that your posts will result in the issue going on the books. If you all individually submitted a support ticket there would be a much better chance of it receiving action.

As a user to user suport forum, this is a good place to see whether there is a simple solution (re-installation, repair, change of settings), but if it is a confirmed bug or coding issue, it needs to be made official.

razorB

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »
It's almost not worth having Avast! at all. I always prefered it in the past, because all internet security programs pop up constantly, and Avast! didn't.

PLEASE fix it!

I'm sick of this too. I've tried all the things others here mention to get rid of it, to no avail  >:(

That little Visa sign tells me something, money is involved here. Grr

I'm ready to ditch Avast or downgrade if that would get rid of this popup pest.