Author Topic: relative threat/danger of suspicious files in virus chest  (Read 1947 times)

ivory888

My avast! PRO ANTIVIRUS just found four infected files.  I'm not sure where I got them because I always check WOT ratings before visiting websites, use all of the available avast! antivirus shields, and avoid clicking on suspicious links in e-mails.  (see attachments)

Would anyone be able to estimate the relative virus threat for me -- given the apparent conservative use of my computer?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:15:49 PM by ivory888 »

Aventador

Re: relative threat/danger of suspicious files in virus chest
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »
First of all do not trust WOT. It is based just on user opinions and not actual facts. Secondly you can do all you can to stay safe on the internet and still get infected. Some of those are in your system restore points and recycle bin. Clear out your restore points and empty your recycle bin. These are also very old files so they maybe false positives. You can upload each file to Virustotal to verify them.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:34:06 PM by Aventador »

ivory888

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
If I can't trust WOT, then who or what could I trust?

Aventador

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »
If I can't trust WOT, then who or what could I trust?

Well your using Avast which has WebRep and gives you a site safety rating. But if you actually take the time to read the WOT user opinions its rather sad. A site should only be rated poor if it has the potential for malware or phishing. So users give a site a bad rating cause they asked for an email address or they downloaded a program which they did not like. Start reading the opinions of users and you will see what I mean. But honestly speaking if your replying on a site advisor to tell you if a site is bad or good then maybe you should rethink your surfing habits. Better yet use Sandboxie.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:26:44 PM by Aventador »