Author Topic: Security certificate  (Read 29862 times)

zimmie

Security certificate
« on: June 08, 2013, 01:34:03 AM »
Today when trying to retrieve Gmail messages I have started getting a "imap.gmail.com:993 uses an invalid security certificate" error message. The message goes on to say the certificate expired this morning at 5:43am. Any solutions? Why has this suddenly happened when I have made no changes?

cokid

Re: Security certificate
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 04:21:30 AM »
I'm having the same problem. I've made no changes to my settings but I'm getting the message described in the original post.

What's the trick to getting a new certificate?

sejtam

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »
I have something similar.

Thunderbirs suddenly says

"You are about to override how Thunderbord identifies  this site
legitimate banks,  stores and other public will not ask you  to do this

Server

Certificate Status
[X] permenently store this exception
[Confirm Security Exception]                            [Cancel]

This goes away when I turn off the Avast Mail Scanner and restart Thunderbird,
which makes me think this is an avast issue.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
Do you have the option to view the certificate details? Check the dates teh certificate is valid and check that your system time is correct.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

sejtam

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »
Do you have the option to view the certificate details? Check the dates teh certificate is valid and check that your system time is correct.

Sadly, 'get Certificate' does exactly nothing,  and there is no option to show anything else.

sejtam

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »
There are more complaints about this pointing at avast:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2695379

cokid

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 02:50:02 AM »

I can view certificate details. The certificate in question expired on 06/07/13. The date/time on my system is correct.

monkiesmomma

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 09:32:13 PM »
I am having the exact same issue as well. Has anyone found a solution yet?

sejtam

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:53:22 AM »
The funny thing is of course that this only happens when avast's MailShield is active, Once I turn it off, no complaints from Thunderbird

Samhill

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 07:13:33 PM »
I have a similar problem, I can't use Google secure search. If I remove the "s" from HTTPS, Google works fine. Google search also works fine from my PC. Here, on my MacBook, Chrome says Google uses Avast! CA. My PC says it uses Google's certificate though. Under Keychain it says Avast! CA doesn't expire until 2023.

sejtam

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 12:41:53 AM »
On my other mac, I can see more of the certificate, and it claims to be for imap.googlemail.com, but issued by Avast???
and yes, it expired.

Can someone explain why this cert would be issued by avast, and why it is not renewed?

sejtam

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 01:08:54 AM »
I just raised a ticket on the avast! ticketing system on this:

#RTM-698-79670

imap.gmail certificate (avast! issued???) expired.
Details    This issue has been discussed for over a week on the Avast! mac Forum, but there has been no action/resolution:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=126642.0

For over a week now, when accessing my IMAP mail accounts at gmail (imap.gmail.com and imap.googlemail.com),
with avast! MailShield enabled, I get a nasty warning.

see attached

The security certificate that is shown apparently is issued by Avast! and has expired on 8/6/13 (I take that to be the 8h of June)

When I disable MailShield, I get no certificate issues, and in fact TB shows no certificate at all.

It seems that MailShield (since V7.0??) inserts itself 'seamlessly' into the IMAP connection stream, and presents its own certificate to the mail client, but that has expired and does not get renewed).

That this issue has persisted for over a week, with no solution from Avast, and in fact that Avast seems to insert a bogus(?) certificate for sites greatly shakes my confidence in Avast's security. How can I trust that there is no
man-in-the middle attack here?

Samhill

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 08:45:13 AM »
Am I the only one with Google search problems then?

doom_laur

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 05:33:20 PM »
I have the same problem with imap.google.com, and I have to accept "the risks" each time I'm starting my Mac (Mail is set to start automatically at startup). The certificate expired on the 7th of June 2013 at 22:43:27 (Eastern European Time). Please fix this ASAP, it's really annoying :(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:36:24 PM by doom_laur »

Samhill

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 07:47:06 AM »
Every secure site I go to shows Avast! as the CA. My local bank, Wikipedia, Yahoo!, the EFF, and Ebay all showed the same thing and I could access them all, but not Google. So why is Avast! inserting itself as a blanket CA on my Mac but not my PC?