Author Topic: PC always freezes up while Avast sends updates  (Read 13932 times)

iroc9555

Re: PC always freezes up while Avast sends updates
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 03:36:50 PM »
hey iroc9555, its late but wanted to tell you I was able to follow it all. System was freezing still. Might be a few things, Windows Defender? can I get rid of that with the removal tool? I think I can and will do tomorrow and will pass by you a couple of other ques. 'till then - thanks! 'night!

Bad luck. Since you are running Win XP, you can uninstall Windows Defender through "Add and Remove program ". No removal tool is required. I was also wondering what else you got there ? As mention before eventhough your CPU (Pent IV 3 Ghz) is enough to handle XP and whatever you throw at it, you do not have enough memory RAM. It is just like Aventador and Simion told you. As a matter of fact it is border line. Avast! needs at least 512 MB RAM. Now we can mitigate this a bit while you get some extra RAM by removing or stopping from starting automatically some of the programs.

Ok First. You can order some memory modules and have them at home in a couple of days for +/- $ 30 or less through  http://www.crucial.com/ as Aventador told you.
Second. Look through your programs; Messenger, Skype, games, P2P, printer, any program that you can start manually when you need it and go to settings and deactivate "Start with Windows" If not, you have to go to Windows services and set them to manual start. This is not an easy task for someone with limited computer knowleged so if you got someone that can do it for you better still.
Third. Do some maintanence to your Computer; Uninstall Toolbars and programs you do not use or need, clean your temps, check your hard disk and system for errors, and defrag. You can find how to do all these in Google.
Fourth. Like Aventador told you, it would be a good idea to start saving for a new comp. Being your old faithful companion for all these years, it could failed anytime now; CPU, power supply, ghrafics card, hard disk. These components are very expensive if not impossible to find for an old computer.

JanetA123

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 04:07:20 AM »
OK, I just did some major cleaning - then I copied some words from the advice y'all been giving me, and googled them. The best place I've found some easy to follow instructions is from how to geek.com.  Gee- I'm starting to feel like a Geek!  ;D  Anyway, this will all take some time to do.  In the mean time I will probably buy a little RAM until I decide what to do for a newer pc.  I may come by to bug you now and then, infact there is a question that's been gnawing at me.  This has been happening even since I've first used Avast.  When it's done scanning I read the result file and there are a ton of files listed as ""not been able to scan file is archived"".  It may be a BIG deal, or I may be able to shrug it off - anybody?? Listen, you guys have been great THANK YOU!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:09:48 AM by JanetsQueSera »

Aventador

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
Your scanning results are completely normal.

iroc9555

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 12:36:13 AM »
.......Gee- I'm starting to feel like a Geek!  ;D.....
...... there are a ton of files listed as ""not been able to scan file is archived""....
.......Listen, you guys have been great THANK YOU!!

To learn is the only way to be free to do what you want with your comp.
Files that were not able to be scanned are just that either because they are corrupted or need a password. If Avast! find an infected or suspesious file or a malware, it will let you know and you will be able to send it to the Virus Chest.

You are welcome ;) Good luck.