Author Topic: Easily fix your hosts file  (Read 24565 times)

Offline xistenz

• Poster
Re: Easily fix your hosts file
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 07:55:36 PM »
I'll have a look at it.

Thanks polonus!

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2005, 09:08:32 AM »
12 June 2004

Added Redsheriff entries to the hosts-file.net hosts file from http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14242.msg120471

Download here: http://venus.walagata.com/w/xistenz/hosts-file.net-30.05.redsheriff.zip (241 KB)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 09:14:46 AM by xistenz »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 02:42:15 PM »
Hello xistenz,

I have seen this, and I followed suit. Red Sheriff code is originating from down under (New-Zealand and Australia), but all sorts  of webmasters are starting to add it to their sites for obvious reasons. The makers of Red Sherriff spy code want to spread it over the world. Good thing to ban this crap via a hosts file.

When it is winter in the RSA do you wear a thick pullover or what?  I thought the weather was always mild there, because you have the nice grapes on Tafelberg. The world expert on whaling history, originating from Rotterdam, lives in South Africa. When I wrote a historical aticle about whaling in my area, I contacted him throughthe Uni of Pretoria. "Hou je taai, man!",

Greets (groet)

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005, 02:49:55 PM »
When it is winter in the RSA do you wear a thick pullover or what? I thought the weather was always mild there, because you have the nice grapes on Tafelberg.

At the moment it is still quite mild, although a cold front has just struck. Today's temperature range was a min of 3 degrees C and a max of 20 degrees C. I just wear a pullover. It can actually still get quite hot in the sun!

Cheers

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2005, 04:38:13 PM »
Hello xistenz,

I found this very interesting link about fighting malware through blackhole dns and host file: http://www.bleedingsnort.com/blackhole-dns/ Good to read and another good anti-malware measurement.

greets,

polonus

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 03:58:53 AM »
Just wanted to add my 2cents
When you use a host file over 135kb it will slow down the browser. To overcome this you need to disable DNS Client Service.
-max

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 07:37:28 PM »
Howdy,

Hello Max,

This may well be just  for XP. Because  I have a hosts file of 368 Kb on a 98SE, no sweat at all, FF browser speed normal, nothing wrong.  Where have you read this? Maybe you are better off with dns kong. I know inconnu here on the forum, this guy  is not bad with hosts files, maybe he has the answer for us. he gave me some very good tips for the hostess.exe program, works fine, Max. As long as it works for me I stay with the long hosts file, check the checksum to see it was not altered by malware, and miss every ad and pop-up.

Greets,

polonus

toadbee

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2005, 08:52:34 PM »
Max is correct. You can bring your computer to a grinding halt with Large hosts files.
Thats sounds advice MAx, worth more than 2 cents ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 08:56:19 PM »
Hi Max M. Wachtel the Third,

Maybe you are right there, twice I experienced in Firefox that I had to wait for a connection to the site, the desktop froze, and a spontaneous reboot occured. Is this caused through the problem you so aptly  described. If yes, you have  rare and very valuable postings, and are the owner of the true "Sabra" brain. I hope you are right for me and my comp.

Kindest regards,

polonus

toadbee

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2005, 09:19:03 PM »
If you play around with 1 or 2+ meg hosts files - It can be hard to even launch firefox with the dnsclient running. It can take quite a while to recover from that (replace your hosts file) - to get back to normal.  ::)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 11:54:58 AM »
Hi toadbee,

You can disinstall DNS services on a stand-alone XP machine, because it is only consuming resources, and CPU. See this link:
http://www.simpledns.com/tutor/dnsclientsvc.asp

greets,

polonus

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2005, 05:27:02 PM »
New beta Hostman program available with hosts file download feature:

http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2005, 08:43:14 PM »
Hi FreewheelinFrank,

Thank you for the link, I certainly will look into it. How are things there for you? We are enjoying the good weather. Funny thing to-day was my neighbour asking me: "Do you know a good free AV solution for me, because my Norton subscription time  is ending the 28th of this month?" I said that before downloading AVAST he had to clear all bits and pieces of Norton from his machine. He asked for a fayavoll (so Russians pronounce this) advice too. I said Kerio would be a good combination for AVAST. Was I right, my friend? I think so. Enjoy your evening.

Keep up the good work,

All the best from,

friend polonus

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 10:42:09 PM »
It works fine for me! It just needs a bit of care when setting up in advanced mode. Simple mode is, well, simple, but in advanced mode the program doesn't give as much information as Zone Alarm about which connections to accept or deny. Tell your friend to visit ShieldUp! after installing and choose 'deny' for any incoming connection and make this a permanent rule if possible. (Your friend will have to allow connections to accept instant messenger files, or he/she wants to host a web server or games, but that just requires a bit of fiddling with the rules later- I'm sure you can help with that if necessary.)

Once set up, Kerio is bug free (unlike Zone Alarm) is 100% compatible with avast! and the free version includes the intrusion detection feature. All in all, pretty good for a free program.

I even think the blue Kerio shield looks good next to the blue avast! globe in my notification area!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2005, 05:08:58 PM »
6 July 2005

New hosts file from http://www.hosts-file.net (6 July 2005)

Download here: http://venus.walagata.com/w/xistenz/hosts-file.net-06.07.zip (Windows XP - 220KB)

Please read here about disabling your "DNS Client" service to increase performance: http://www.simpledns.com/tutor/dnsclientsvc.asp