Author Topic: A Rant about Linux  (Read 23620 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
A Rant about Linux
« on: June 08, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
This is taken from another Tread here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=126362.msg949021#msg949021
I have to agree with you mchain, in so far as:
Not everyone here knows or understands Linux, and not everyone understands what the future of safe computing holds, or the direction it should go forth.

'Tis obvious to me that Windows needs to go to more secure and stronger coding to ensure survival of Windows as we know it, and maintain the business domination it has enjoyed for so many years.

Obviously Linux is not a Business which many find hard to get their head around. It's more a Academic Endeavour in my eyes, and not having Malware beating at the door leaves so much time for positivity, and development of ideas, as I have found Computing means to me these days. No fear, reasonable behaviour of course, and sensible use.

A Typical Windows virus, .Exe, isn't on the linux software map, it can't execute in Linux. There are regular Software checks to note important System files have not been tampered with, it is built from the ground up with fundamental security in mind.

I must have been a member here for a decade and learnt a lot about Windows Security. It involved adding what I would call a lot of "Third Party Software", which is generally freeware, and often Open Source, as well as 'Pro' "Bought" versions. I find it a failing of Windows, a great failing, that these third party Software haven't been considered, and built in before release. It is sloppy coding, and released often much to early, relying on goodwill and Human Nature bringing people out of the woodwork to plug the holes, so to speak.

Microsoft is a big target for Malcreants as 90% of Computer users use it, as compared to Apple, (5%) , and Linux (5%) Approx.

I took the leap to PCLinuxOS 5 years ago, and at times it is tough, the actual Forum can be a bit over spirited, but in General if you can show you are sincere the 'Top Dogs' will lovingly explain what is what, they love there Distro, and they hone it everyday of the week. I'm proud to be a part of the small community there.

Linux is based on the Kernel. Linus Torvalds built 'The Kernel' in the early 90's.
In 1990, he resumed his university studies, and was exposed to UNIX for the first time, in the form of a DEC MicroVAX running ULTRIX. His M.Sc. thesis was titled Linux: A Portable Operating System.
To add or change 'The Kernel' a body of the elite must all agree on the changes, or additions.
Right there is the first link in a specific quality control and is a huge security and performance plus.

Localised Distros acquire a version of the kernel which suits them, build distro specific packages, and off it goes. There's always a lot of work being done in Distros to fit programmes to the kernel, which is maintained by Linus Torvalds. He started very young writing tools to run programmes for the very early Computers, and actually wrote in machine language, as he had no idea there were easier ways of programming at the age of 12 or round abouts. That's using 01010101  ;)

In the case of PCLinuxOS distros, which use KDE, (K Desktop Environment), and LXDE mainly, although there are more off shoots, is that it's what's called a 'Rolling Release'.

There are Major releases but as an example, I installed my release the end of 2011, and have kept updating the 'specific' distro libraries, programmes, and apps, from the distro specific Repository.
Say I was to go install programmes I find on the web, they may break my Install, as they have not been tailor made for my installation. So I learn to be part of the Distro's Community, and learn (taught) 'Packaging' specific for PCLinuxOS, which is then loaded into the Repositories (Servers) for download, when ready. This is common in Linux Distros due to having to fit thier programmes to a specific Kernel. I can't speak on every Linux Distro as specifically as the one I use.

I'm sure I remember Damian being very involved in Mozilla Firefox, and it's nightly builds, the testing and development can be done by anyone, however at release Mozilla have the final word. Such is the way of Linux Distros, no one can 'tinker' with the basic Kernel, code can be submitted, but Linus Torvalds and the many other members of his elite must agree the addition of any code is a step in the right direction before implementation . By the way, the Linux Kernel is the largest peice of single code on the Planet.

I hope some may find interest, and understand some of the fundamental differences between Windows, and Linux Distros.

Regards,

Abraxas.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: A Rant about Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 07:41:38 PM »
Hi Abraxas,

Thanks for this introduction, but how has that landscape changed with the coming of Android, also a linux based system (but not so much in the hands of the 5% secuity aware enthusiasts). Android now since January with 149 new malware families known. What are your explanations? 75% of the mobile linux malware is finacially motivated malware. Now that mobile linux is becoming a larger and larger platform target as it is used mainly in the hands of the unadvised. Yes, here the tables on linux security are now slowly turning,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »
Yes, here the tables on linux security are now slowly turning,
Yes, very slowly. What can I see is "pure" Android and not Linux movements. The Android market means revenue. And does the Linux one also? I don't think so...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 08:53:02 PM »
There is no Linux viruses, it is not a Business, and Android, although based originally as a Linux-based operating system, once Google bought it, it changed very much from your General Linux GNU Operating Systems which run the largest Super Computers on the Planet, CERN, the world's largest particle physics laboratory, and recently the International Space Station.

Android is explained: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29

As of May 2013, a total of 900 million Android devices have been activated and 48 billion apps have been installed from the Google Play store.
I see relatively few similarities to the Linux Operating System I describe above. No checks and balances, just a huge 'free for all' in a huge open Market.

Please when you find a Linux Virus, PM me as I want it, and have many who would also love to see such a curiosity.  :)

But yes polonus, it is Linux at it's worst, with Google at the Helm, and so many Apps a Hacker's Paradise.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=119152.msg919682#msg919682

*How can I install AVG antivirus for linux?

Old-Polack - Administrator - Super Villain
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 07:30:16 AM
"...You are not in the Windows world anymore and there are no Linux viruses in the wild, or otherwise.
All attempts to create a Linux virus as "proof of concept" have also failed, in that they required active participation from the root user to install, and even then, failed to propagate.
You may believe that as Linux gains popularity there will be viruses magically appearing, but you are wrong. There's a better chance that Santa Claus will drop down your chimney to give you presents, the Easter Bunny will drop off a basket of colored eggs, or the Tooth Fairy will pay for, and come collect your lost teeth, than you will get a Linux virus.

If you insist on installing AVG, use the RPM package they provide. Unless you plan to use it to scan email to be forwarded to Windows computers, you'll find it a waste of time, effort, and resources."

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »
There is no Linux viruses...

Well, let's say not many are in the wild anymore... ;)
-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:09:11 PM »

Could I have one please  ;)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 09:13:22 PM »
Blog: Clueful warns Android users how apps use (or abuse) 
heise Security - 22 May 2013

Bitdefender Clueful is designed to warn Android users about apps that put their privacy at risk. Available free of charge, the app checks whether any of a user's installed programs are known to transmit smartphone numbers to advertising networks or cause push-message spam. Clueful establishes this by querying one of BitDefender's servers; it doesn't analyse the apps on the smartphone

The core component of Bitdefender's database is the privileges that are requested by each app. The developers say that this information is complemented by a code analysis that can, for instance, flag up suspicious activities.

In a brief tests by The H and heise Security, the app did produce informative results. Clueful sorts apps according to three risk levels; most of the apps tested were put into the "Moderate Risk" category because they read the phone's SMS text message inbox or its address book. In heise Security's testing, three apps were placed in the "High Risk" category. According to Clueful, they create advertising links on the home screen, send the smartphone user's email address to advertising networks and display spam in the notifications bar.

When a new app is installed, Clueful will automatically display a rating in the notifications bar. Those who frequently install new apps could soon find themselves wishing that warnings were only displayed when a new addition has a high-risk rating. Manually searching the database of Android apps is currently not an option.

Bitdefender released an iOS version of Clueful last year but had to remove it from the App Store; no reason was given for the removal, but it is believed that iOS apps are not allowed to examine other apps outside its own sandbox. Since the removal of the app, the database has been available for online queries.

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Bitdefender-Clueful-exposes-Android-spies-1867358.html

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »

Could I have one please  ;)

Certainly not, they are an endangered species. ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »
Hi Abraxas

But there also fantastic and wonderful things about linux like snort w Sourcefire VRT
and suricata with EmergingThreats IDS that should also come to Windows and would allow for quite an enrichment if easily portable.
See what urlquery dot net scans deliver here->: http://urlquery.net/report.php?id=2979900
Just installed DecafeinattID on Windows Vista with ARPCache Monitoring, all ideas ported from linux developers.
The security aware owe linux loads. On linux we see issues that never even appear on the Windows' developing radar..

polonus

Dch48

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 09:57:32 PM »
I like Android, I hate Linux

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 11:21:18 PM »

I like spaghetti, I hate pasta.

Does that make sense?

No, neither does your post.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 11:45:44 PM »
Hi FwF and Dch48,

Now you seemed to have found each other in a "Linux dance"  ;D

Damian

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 12:36:46 AM »
I use Avast4Linuxworkstations and have tried to keep the flame alive that one day Avast might upgrade what is essentially a 2005 Tool for keeping Windows users who come in contact via Email with Linux users, from becoming infected.

The Virus Data Base is current, that's essentially what an on demand AV scanner is.

What excuse do people who don't even use Linux have for even saying anything here at all ?
All I hear is negativity. An Avast tool to keep less Malware off the Web, I feel it's a wonderful idea.

Positivity boys and girls, the intention is simple courtesy.

An Avast4Linux update will come soon enough, other than that there aint a lot to natter about.

I like the Internet, but aren't fond of Windows.

Dch48

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 08:07:21 AM »

Does that make sense?

It makes more than yours and is far less off topic. Spaghetti  IS pasta, Android is not Linux even if it did branch off from it. It's become different enough to be a different animal. Like Firefox is not Netscape and I am not my Grandfather.

Android has evolved to the point where it's a better OS than Linux.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:09:10 AM by Dch48 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 08:56:37 AM »

Does that make sense?

It makes more than yours and is far less off topic. Spaghetti  IS pasta, Android is not Linux even if it did branch off from it. It's become different enough to be a different animal. Like Firefox is not Netscape and I am not my Grandfather.

Android has evolved to the point where it's a better OS than Linux.

Spaghetti is better than pasta?

That makes even less sense than your previous post.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog