Author Topic: Connection Time-out Message (E-mail) Doesn't Take No For An Answer  (Read 2860 times)

CraigUK

Hi

Searching the forums I can find a lot of threads similar to my question but most are continuing problems, whereas mine isn't as serious as such.

My problem is, sometimes my POP3 e-mail accounts (I have 5) occasionally time-out. avast! notifies me with a message similar to: do I wish to retry?

My problem is, if I select Yes it doesn't solve the problem and the message will pop back up but more importantly if I select No, it doesn't end the connection -- therefore the message will pop back again. I use an application called eStop! which allows me to end the connection which then causes avast! to end its waiting.

If I select No what I expect to happen is for the connection to end and avast! shouldn't ask me again thereafter. This does not happen. At one point the message simply wouldn't go away and I couldn't check any e-mails. Once I eStopped the connection I could then check e-mail.

Seems a little buggy to me, perhaps?

Note:
I've read about increasing the time-out period but personally I don't think that will help. My problem is with the message prompt -- selecting No should end the connection in my opinion.

Thanks.

Craig.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Connection Time-out Message (E-mail) Doesn't Take No For An Answer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 06:08:38 PM »
a. Are you sure it is avast notifying you of a time-out and not your email client?

Note:
I've read about increasing the time-out period but personally I don't think that will help. My problem is with the message prompt -- selecting No should end the connection in my opinion.
b. Do you mean that you haven't tried it, because you don't think it will help?
c. The message prompt is related to the time-out delay.

d. Yes I too would have thought selecting No would break the connection, however there are two elements and I believe the ashMaiSv.exe (Internet Mail provider) will still be trying to complete its scan and hand off to the email client to send it (this I believe will re activate the connection).

Try extending the time delay in your email client as this is most likely to be the first trigger for the prompt.

You might also want to check your Internet Mail settings (reference d. above) to shutdown the connection rather than ask.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

webhostau.com

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 09:22:04 AM »
Thanks for the timeout connection fix. Lol it just about made me throw it all in..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 04:33:04 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Happy to help, now you know where we are, you don't have to pull your hair out trying to find the solution on your own, if you can't find it using the forum search just ask.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security