Author Topic: Avast Installation Error  (Read 33191 times)

johnny223

Avast Installation Error
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:54:20 AM »
Hi Avast users. I've been using Avast for a long time and like it a lot. When I tried to update it, an error popped up. So i ended up uninstalling it. When i tried to install it again, i keep getting the same error (please see screen shot). Any help on this will be great as i really like Avast and hate to switch to another antivirus.

I have 64 bit windows 7. Thank you so much.

Aventador

Re: Avast Installation Error
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 01:57:59 AM »
Try uninstalling your previous Avast first using the Avast uninstall tool. Be sure to select the correct version from the drop down menu and select where Avast is currently installed. Reboot and install the latest Avast.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

johnny223

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 02:14:41 AM »
Thank you Aventador. I've tried the uninstallation utility with no luck though. :(

iroc9555

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 02:56:14 AM »
Thank you Aventador. I've tried the uninstallation utility with no luck though. :(

Any alerts why did not work ?

Download utility to your desktop. Run it as administrator and click "Yes" I want to run it in Safe Mode.

Additional instructions: http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB10#idt_02

johnny223

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 03:02:11 AM »
Sorry i wasn't clear. The uninstall utility worked, but i tried installing and still got the same popup error. The error pops up when i'm installing.

iroc9555

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 03:28:35 AM »
OK. It could be an old version which is the trouble or the program installer.

Download a fresh Avast! installer.

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

Then run again aswclear for Avast1 versions 6, 7, and 8 in that order. Do not reboot until all versions have been run and then reboot. Install Avast!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:14:18 AM by iroc9555 »

johnny223

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 04:47:58 AM »
Hi iroc9555, I followed your instructions but still having the same error during installation  :(

Why does it say "Uninstallation progress" when I'm installing? Is it trying to remove old versions? What is the aswRegSvr64.exe?

Aventador

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:57:43 AM »
Are you selecting the proper Avast version from the drop down? Are you pointing it to properly installed directory? Try this little tool.

http://my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/2013/02/01/avast-cleanup-tool

johnny223

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 05:13:53 AM »
Hi Aventador. I tried that tool also. Rebooted and tried install, still the same error.

I've attached the installation log file, maybe you guys can take a look. I appreciate all you guys' help. Thank you.

Aventador

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 01:48:40 PM »
Have you tried running these programs in Safe Mode?

johnny223

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 03:39:15 AM »
I've tried safe mode and it didnt work. Maybe i will install another antivirus for now. Not comfortable surfing "naked"  :D Any suggestions?

Although I'm still curious what's causing the error and what "aswRegSvr64.exe" is.

Aventador

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 04:12:47 AM »
So lets check this out:

1. Download Avast Uninstaller and Avast cleanup tool.
2. Boot up in Safe Mode and run the Avast Uninstaller.
3. When running the Avast uninstaller be sure to select the proper version your uninstalling and click on the box to point the uninstaller to the proper directory where Avast is installed on your pc. Reboot.
4. Boot up in Safe Mode again and run the Avast cleanup tool. Reboot into normal mode
5. Install Avast

Are those the steps you took? Are you using any other security? Did you full remove your previous antivirus?

johnny223

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 04:51:05 AM »
Aventador, I followed those steps but the same error pops up. I had MSE for a short while and uninstalled it before installing avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »
Thank you guys so much for this thread! I just used the link o the fresh install. Everything worked out - finally! Thank you so much!