Author Topic: setup.ovr was gone!  (Read 4734 times)

Fract504

setup.ovr was gone!
« on: April 09, 2005, 07:46:59 PM »
Hello,

since one week my avast home 4.6 623 installation on a Windows 98 SE PC did not update anymore. It just showed the red information box in the lower right corner.
So I went to the settings to see the proxy settings of avast. But nothing happened when  i clicked on the proxy button  :-[
I fired up filemon to see what is happening behind the scenes.
I found out that the setup.ovr could not be found and it was indeed not in the setup-directory of avast where it should have been. I copied over the file from my xp installation and everything worked again.

I read somewhere that setup.ovr morphs to avast.setup when updating, but even this file was not there.... Just wanted to tell about this special occurance.

Regards,

Fract504

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: setup.ovr was gone!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 11:49:00 PM »
So I went to the settings to see the proxy settings of avast. But nothing happened when  i clicked on the proxy button  :-[
This is the exactly symthom of avast.setup is being running in background (maybe crashed).
avast! settings can't be 'changed' if an updating is being done...
If you click CRTL+ALT+DEL can you finish avast.setup?

I found out that the setup.ovr could not be found and it was indeed not in the setup-directory of avast where it should have been. I copied over the file from my xp installation and everything worked again. I read somewhere that setup.ovr morphs to avast.setup when updating, but even this file was not there.... Just wanted to tell about this special occurance.
It's not good copying the setup.ovr from another installation. It could 'mess' everything in yours.
avast.setup file could be 'hidden' or the process crashed after deleting the file  ??? ::)

If you can manual update avast!, the automatic should work...
Isn't your firewall playing tricks with you?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 11:50:43 PM »

Fract504

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 05:12:19 PM »
Hello Technical,

even manual update didn't work anymore... Nothing happened when selecting it.
I even tried to do a repair install or reinstallation of the software but got an error with setiface.dll.

Firewall shouldn't be an issue. It worked ok all the time. I also thing more that the update crashed some day and left the system without setup.ovr and also without avast.setup. I really checked it and both files were not there (also not hidden).

So I chose the quick and dirty solution and so far it seems everything is ok back again...

Hopefully...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 05:15:12 PM by Fract504 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 12:21:12 AM »
Left the system without setup.ovr
Bad! Maybe uninstall / boot / install again / boot
You won`t update without that file man...

also without avast.setup.
Good. It`s a temporary file that should be deleted. It`s ok.

So I chose the quick and dirty solution and so far it seems everything is ok back again...
Which one?  ;D
Are you suggesting that my 1st solution is dirty? It`s the only solution  ;)