Author Topic: Virus Chest  (Read 3229 times)

SandyN

Virus Chest
« on: June 11, 2013, 06:35:31 AM »
I was sent an email with a link to a site where I can download some patterns I bought. Avast moved it to the Chest.  How can I get to the link? The vendor is on holidays and I need those patterns.

Thanks
Sandy

Aventador

Re: Virus Chest
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 06:40:11 AM »
The link is in your email. Did the Avast web shield notify you that the web site was block? Or when your downloaded these patterns Avast moved them to the chest? You can open up Avast and click on the maintenance tab. Then you will see the chest. Do you have a link to this particular web site?

SandyN

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:42:22 AM »
Avast removed the link from the email. When I go to maintenance, it tells me the email cannot be restored.

Aventador

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:44:44 AM »
Are you using Outlook on your pc? Who is your ISP and who do they use for your email? I have AT&T which uses Yahoo email. You can go into that email and get it.

SandyN

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:47:54 AM »
I am using Outlook Express. My ISP is Telstra (an Australian company).

This is what was in the email:

avast!: Message body was removed because it contained a virus.

Aventador

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 06:53:22 AM »
ok well Outlook Express is a POP3 email program. It goes and retrieves your emails from a sever such as Yahoo or what have you. So whatever your email address is just go to that site. Does your ISP offer a free email address? Who do you use for an email address?

SandyN

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 06:59:26 AM »
My ISP supplies an email address. I can pick up mail via webmail but once I've downloaded to my PC, it's removed from webmail.  Looks like I will have to ring them. If my ISP still has the email on file and they send it again, will Avast do the same thing?

This seems to be a new trick by Avast. I've bought from other vendors in the past who do the same thing. Is this  going to happen every time I buy a pattern?.

Aventador

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 07:12:11 AM »
It is not a trick by Avast. Avast does not like the program your downloading. You can submit a false positive report to the Avast team. Your ISP email will remain there. Send your false positive to here virus@avast.com.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 07:54:54 PM »
If it's in the chest right click on it then select "scan". If it's clean you should be able "restore" it to it's original location.

GUI>Maintenance>Scan Logs  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »
I can pick up mail via webmail but once I've downloaded to my PC, it's removed from webmail.
this can be changed in outlook express settings

http://m.wikihow.com/Set-Outlook-Express-To-Leave-Email-Messages-On-The-Server