Author Topic: How can i stop Avast from updating at system startup ? I like to delay it 30min.  (Read 6208 times)

Shishawalla

How can i stop Avast from updating at system startup ? I like to delay it 30min.

Offline Bizet

How can i stop Avast from updating at system startup ? I like to delay it 30min.

Well because I am retired and have plenty of time to monitor the updates, I have switched to manual updates, and can do it whenever it's convenient, but if you are a busy working person then it's probably not a good idea, and easily forgotten.

Regards Bizet

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
well....you could just delay your computer work 30min   ;D

anyway it is possible, by modifi a  file.....the how to it is posted here somwhere.
i will give the link if i find it, or PM one i know how to do it

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Dave has the relevant instructions.
But a delay of 30 minutes ??? doesn't make much sense, imo.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Delay Auto Update - In avast8 you need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the, C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini.  Win7, Vista location, this folder may be hidden, you may also have to run notepad.exe as administrator to prevent UAC intervention. - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini (XP file location)

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=1800 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=1800
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes. You can extend this duration if required.

The above is for 30 minutes, but I too think that is too long as you could well be initiating it when you are doing some more intensive work. The idea is to take the auto update check and update if one is available out of the more busy time during and shortly after boot. I think 5 or 10 minutes (300 or 600) is more reasonable, your system your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nigel mansel

I would also like to delay update to say 5 min.

I get the avast confirmation to make changes ,click yes.

But on saving to notepad it says access denied.

Using w7 and avast free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
As mentioned in the post you are likely to have to run notepad.exe as the administrator or UAC will block you. Find notepad.exe (normally in the windows folder), right click it and select Run As administrator. Now from within notepad.exe use the Open and navigate to the avast5.ini file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aventador

To easily find notepad go to start and type "notepad" and it will pop right up. As soon as you see it listed then right click on and select "run as administrator". Then follow David's instructions.

nigel mansel

Thanks everybody sorted,it was xp i carried this out on last time.

Spent ages finding/opening within notepad could not find,set notepad to open all file types and found it.

Thanks again :-)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster

Spent ages finding/opening within notepad could not find,set notepad to open all file types and found it.

Since every INI that I've ever seen has been plain text, I've simply associated INIs with Notepad for convenience.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

You're welcome.

I keep forgetting to run notepad.exe as administrator in win7 as my main system is XP Pro.