Author Topic: Why will in not install  (Read 8618 times)

Bookjunky

Why will in not install
« on: April 11, 2005, 09:30:29 AM »
I have paid for enough useless antiviral software I am not about to pay for something else someone says it good without being able to try it first. So this came highly recommeded. I downloaded it but the darned thing will not even install. I have a windows XP SP2 operating system and plenty of hard drive space. And I am so freaking mad right right now.

Is this just some more garbage that works for some and not for everyone?

galooma

Re: Why will in not install
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 09:44:15 AM »
Hi and welcome bookjunky, firsly calm down , its one thing to have a problem but if you attack the problem and not the solution we might get somewhere.
 can you tell us what AV program you have removed because incorrect removal is usually the primary cause of installation problems. :)

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 12:46:32 PM »
Can you install other programs? Try installing ewido Security Suite from http://www.ewido.net/en/download, updating it and running a full scan with that. Then post a HijackThis log here.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 02:02:41 PM »
I have paid for enough useless antiviral software I am not about to pay for something else someone says it good without being able to try it first. So this came highly recommeded. I downloaded it but the darned thing will not even install. I have a windows XP SP2 operating system and plenty of hard drive space. And I am so freaking mad right right now.

Why won't it install?
What errors are you getting? Help us to help you!

Please calm down, it is not as if you have paid for a product in advance and have a problem.

The 'is this just some more garbage' comment hardly helps us to help you and no it is not some more garbage it is an excellent anti-virus program, even more so given it is an unrestricted trial for 60 days. When you manage to get it installed, we will help you if we can, then you will see that it is not some more garbage but an excellent anti-virus (it would hardly have come highly recommended as you say if it wasn't).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 03:41:34 PM »

Hard words for the best antivirus round...  8)
Sure it's not an avast problem but your system. If you post more information, we can help you  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 04:08:08 PM »
Nice start... Yes, and you won't get anywere with attitude like that. Never forget that you are allowed to use one of the best freeware antiviruses out there. No one forces you to use it, just as no one forces you to buy Professional version.

So many people installed avast! without problems, and of course some of them are having problems. They come here in peace, calmed down, and we nicely help them to solve their problems. Do not forget that avast! technical support is also free. Where else would you get that ? E-mail, phone and forum support for free... it is our good will to help you, so show some appreciation, please. No one can even imagine how different systems could be all around the world, and which other applications people have installed... it looks like you still have traces of some other previously installed antivirus on your system. You have to be aware that 2 or more antivirus programs with resident protection enabled,  installed on one system in the same time, can (and most likely - will) give you additional headaches and problems. I'm pretty sure you didn't clean your system completely... remove all possible traces of other antivirus software, clean the registry, restart the system and try installing avast! again... that's all I can say for now...

Posting your system specifications, as well as list of other security related software installed on your system, but also list of other antiviruses you had on that system, and most important - name of the  latest antivirus you had running on your system prior installing avast!, could help a lot. this way, we have no clue what's going on on your side...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 04:10:23 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Bookjunky

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 07:10:18 PM »
I finally got it installed and my system was running so slllllllllloooooowww I uninstalled it. I only have 320 mb of ram and my motherboard is maxed out I cannot install any more ram. This is a windows XP SP 2 operating system. I have a DSL connection.

The 2005 version of Norton is not cutting it. Darn thing takes the entire night to do a full system scan then hangs up and freezes and refuses to let me see the log when it thinks it found something.

AVG does not find everything.

For the time being - with over 700 emails to answer and not wanting to spend 5 minutes to wait for each one to load I uninstalled the Avast.

Bookjunky

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 07:11:57 PM »
Please excuse my earlier frustration but I had spent four hours trying to install the software and answer mail to no avail.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 07:26:56 PM »
I finally got it installed and my system was running so slllllllllloooooowww I uninstalled it.
Slow? compared with Norton 2005? I can't belive it... Did you set NAV to the same sensitivity as avast?

The 2005 version of Norton is not cutting it.
Did you uninstall it before installing avast?

For the time being - with over 700 emails to answer and not wanting to spend 5 minutes to wait for each one to load I uninstalled the Avast.
Into avast4.ini file, section [MailScanner] and value TranslateAddress you could make it faster.
See details clicking on 'Settings' in my signature.

Bookjunky

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 03:13:09 PM »
I down loaded and ran the ewido software as someone suggested and after running for 6 1/2 hours it found 60 items that AVG, Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and, Spybot did not find.

Norton is now gone and I will redownload and reinstall the Avast.

30-40 dollars is not a lot to many but I live on a fixed income and that is over a weeks worth of groceries for me. I cannot afford to experiment with more prorgrams that will work for a week then become a major nuisance like Norton has become.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 07:36:27 PM »
Bookjunky, I'm not sure but take care of using at the same time in the same computer this antivirus:
Ewido + AVG + avast.

I think you only need:
Lavasoft's Ad-Aware + Spybot + avast.

I'm not sure but take care of incompatibilities... they could ruin your system...

Jarmo P

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 07:56:03 PM »
Once I agree with Technical, you really need no more when running a clean system, except maybe SpywareBlaster if using IE.

But Ewido is an antitrojan, maybe your system is badly infected?

Then the solution is to do a clean format if nothing else helps.

Bookjunky

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 06:02:23 AM »
AVG is off now. Actually I had to do a total reformat last month because some of the me drivers were corrupted. When I reformatted I did the XP upgrade.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 07:39:39 PM »
AVG is off now. Actually I had to do a total reformat last month because some of the me drivers were corrupted. When I reformatted I did the XP upgrade.

So  ::) ???
Are you ok after formating or not?  ::)

Bookjunky

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 05:01:26 AM »
The upgrade is working fine now. And after dumping some software and getting the initial scans done and cleaning up what was indicated I am getting clean scans now.

And I would definately like to think everyone for thier help and thier patience. This is a nice forum and I will continue to stop in on a regular basis to see what I can learn.

This forum and the Avast software have definately earned my respect. Thank you.