Author Topic: avast error  (Read 12309 times)

nana1945

avast error
« on: April 11, 2005, 05:08:54 PM »
 ??? i have avast 4.6.623. windows me, ie6 sp1. when avast scans,i get a message saying, cannot scan msi config.when i click on report,it tells me internal program error (42003) config msi.dont know what this means. the date of last scan always shows as 3-26-05. i did avast repair. didn't help. i check for updates everyday. how can i fix this? thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast error
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 07:47:53 PM »
This is a very long thread about it: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1262.0
I don't expect you read it all but trying to post there to receive help...  :)
The best things in life are free.

nana1945

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 10:08:52 PM »
 :-[ sorry about that.i discovered that thread after i posted. i read it but, not very experienced with puters.still dont know why i get the error or what to do about it. avast ran just fine untill a  week ago. now i get that message. thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 10:28:28 PM »
still dont know why i get the error
You did nothing wrong. Just that file 'makes' an error into avast engine.

or what to do about it.
If you send them the file they could analyse it and find a solution.

Send an email to any of these addresses:
vlk (at) avast.com
rypacek (at) asw.cz

Or upload to the any of these anonymous ftp servers:
ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming
ftp://www2.asw.cz/incoming

nana1945

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 11:38:47 PM »
thanks technical. since i dont know how to upload it,i will email it. :)

nana1945

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 12:09:24 AM »
 :-\ just ran avast and did not get the error this time. :-\ does that mean it fixed itself or should i still send the file? thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 01:27:35 AM »
:-\ just ran avast and did not get the error this time. :-\ does that mean it fixed itself or should i still send the file? thanks.

1) Is the file still there or it was deleted?

2) If it's there, be sure to scan the folder with archive option checked or right click the file and choose 'Scan with avast'.
    Do you get any error message? If not, well, let's be happy... gremlins...

nana1945

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 02:30:11 PM »
i did a search and wasn't able to find the file. could it be hidden? the only thing i did was uninstall the software for my digital camera.it was Kodak easy share. it don't work to good on my system. maybe i will put it back on and see what happens. thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 02:36:30 PM »
Could it be hidden?
To unhide them, open any folder and go to Tools >folder options > View, then scroll down to where it says 'Hidden files and folders' and then check/tick the 'Show hidden files and folders'.

nana1945

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 05:21:51 PM »
 :) me again. i did that.it still says no files found. i ran avast again.this time the error showed up again.all it says is config\msi.unable to scan.internal error 42003. would it help to reinstall? thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 07:18:05 PM »
:) me again. i did that.it still says no files found. i ran avast again.this time the error showed up again.all it says is config\msi.unable to scan.internal error 42003. would it help to reinstall? thanks

Please, be precise, exact: what do you see:
config\msi
or
config.msi

Please, let a blank space after the periods. It easy to read and understand.
I don't think installing the software is the solution. Maybe. What I'm not sure is the complete path and name of this file... can you post it?

nana1945

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 09:48:26 PM »
Please, let a blank space after the periods. It easy to read and understand.
I don't think installing the software is the solution. Maybe. What I'm not sure is the complete path and name of this file... can you post it?
this is what shows up in the avast report. unable to scan.  c: config \ msi (E) INTERNAL PROGRAM ERROR (42003). as i said, i can not find the file when i do a search. even with the files unhidden. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 03:27:36 AM »
this is what shows up in the avast report. unable to scan.  c: config \ msi (E) INTERNAL PROGRAM ERROR (42003). as i said, i can not find the file when i do a search. even with the files unhidden. 

I've asked for a deeper help from Alwil team... Can you wait a little?  ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 10:01:07 AM »
Well, we would certainly have to have the file, to be able to say more.

The path ("c: config \ msi") doesn't seem to be complete - you are re-typing it from the Simple User Interface window, right?
If possible, please go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the Report file; make sure the "Hard errors" and "Soft errors" items are checked, and use "Text file" as the type. Then, run the scan again. avast! will create a text file in the selected folder (by default, it's C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\avast4\DATA\report\Simple user interface.txt). So, if the error appears again, it should be logged in the report. Just open the report file e.g. in Notepad, find the item and copy&paste the line here.
Thanks!

nana1945

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 04:38:07 PM »
hi igor.
 yes i am typing it from the simple user interface window. i will try what you suggested. thanks.