Author Topic: Flash disk deleted  (Read 10672 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Flash disk deleted
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »
Well now to the more intelligent bit.
Well in irony there rests also a lot of intelligence, but that put aside.
After dissecting and analyzing malcode for 8 years here, and observing the work of magna86 and the like,
I say that if that is/should be  true, why developers even bother(ed) to develop
a free product like Mx One AV ->  http://www.mxone.net/
or  MCshield 2   http://amf.mycity.rs/mcshield/
ClamWin      http://portableapps.com/apps/security/clamwin_portable
Panda USB Vaccine  http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/

All these av solutions now found to be snake oil, what a waste of talent and ideas...

We have Gauss-Another, we have stuxnet and duqu and flame...we do not have online detection for all -> http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/724/Online_detection_of_Gauss

By the way where are the sticks that could easily be set to write.protect?

polonus
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:47:18 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Aventador

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
Maybe it time for Aventador to and let argus & magna86 do there job to help Archanaperth problem without hi-jacking this topic

This is a public/community forum. All are allowed to post. MC Shield is a great tool but it will not help Archanaperth in the future from malware attacking his USB stick when being inserted into another pc.

So polonus..............What your saying is that a company such as BitDefender, which has one of the highest detection rates around is merely throwing snake out at customers. Too funny. Prevention is where it starts. If we can provide Archanaperth with education on how to prevent his issue from happening gain we did our jobs. Telling him to install MC Shield and walk away is not enough.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:53:43 PM by Aventador »

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »
...but it will not help Archanaperth in the future from malware attacking his USB stick when being inserted into another pc.

It will protect his own PC from future attacks because MCS will check every USB that is hooked up.
As for other computers, if you have installed AV/AM/FW and MCShield (in this case) then, other PC will be safe too. This is the best form of protection.  I do not see where is the problem in that?

edit:
PS: MCS will also delete malware from USB mem-devices. USB will leave PC as clean and disinfected devices.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:55:11 PM by magna86 »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »
Hi SpeedyPC,

All are allowed to post in there own threads, but not to come swanning in on malware removal threads,
criticizing qualified standard removal procedures. It is at least frowned upon....

polonus

Aventador

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »
...but it will not help Archanaperth in the future from malware attacking his USB stick when being inserted into another pc.

It will protect his own PC from future attacks because MCS will check every USB that is hooked up.
As for other computers, if you have installed AV/AM/FW and MCShield (in this case) then, other PC will be safe too. This is the best form of protection.  I do not see where is the problem in that?

So what your saying then  is if Archanaperth goes to a friends house he needs to install MC Shield before inserting his USB stick?  ::)  Thats unrealistic. Archanaperth is better immunizing his current USB sticks and installing MC Shield.

Furthermore if anyone is inserting there USB stick into an unknown or malware infected pc that is there own fault.

Are we all forgetting that Avast has a USB scanner? Are we telling Avast users to use other means of scanning there USB drive cause you do not trust Avast? Why install another resident program taking up resources if you do not have to.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:59:12 PM by Aventador »

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
So what your saying then  is if Archanaperth goes to a friends house he needs to install MC Shield before inserting his USB stick?  ::)

No, what I had to say, I said.

I recommend you to read it again my posts if you will, and if not well ... you won't be the first nor the last one that didn't want to accept and learn new things from someone who might be more experienced in this field.

I did not invent these things for shure. What is certain is that malware writers definitely love stubborn people.

Cheers,
magna

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 04:01:18 PM »
Hi SpeedyPC,

All are allowed to post in there own threads, but not to come swanning in on malware removal threads,
criticizing qualified standard removal procedures. It is at least frowned upon....

polonus

I wasn't talking about you Polonus ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »
Hi SpeedyPC,

Well here is something that users could consider to have better security with- hardware write protect pendrives: http://www.fencepost.net/2010/03/usb-flash-drives-with-hardware-write-protection/
This is also handy software: http://rufus.akeo.ie/  to ensure viruses are not running in the back ground...

polonus
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:25:49 PM by polonus »

Archanaperth

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »

Download MCShield from one of the following links:

MyCity -  Official download link
Softpedija - Mirror download link

• Double click MCShield-Setup to install the application.
  • Wait a few seconds to MCShield finish initial scan.
Recommendation to under Scanner tab you click on "Always unhide items on flash drives"

• Connect your USB storage devices to the computer one at a time. Scanning will be done automatically.
When all scanning is done, you need to attach a logreport that has made MCShield.

Start -> All Programs -> MCShield -> Logs

Attach here -> AllScans.txt

Explanation: USB storage devices are all the USB devices that get their own partition letter at connecting to the PC,
e.g. flash drives (thumb/pen drives, USB sticks), external HDDs, MP3/MP4 players, digital cameras,
memory cards (SD cards, Sony Memory Stick, MultiMedia Cards etc.), some mobile phones, some GPS navigation devices etc.

Step2

Download DDS and save it to your Desktop from here:
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr

Double click dds to run the tool.

* When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
        1. DDS.txt
        2. Attach.txt

Save both reports to your desktop. DDS.txt and Attach.txt attach back to topic.

Argus!!! Avast! Evangelist  ;D you are my hero!! I love you!!
I think I have my files back, but I did not understand if you want me to attach the logs to my post?
BTW, the device autorun is not working, I just got the files in a folder. Can I make the flash disk work normally?

Thank you sooooooo much (funny discussion, anyway  :P I got my chips and coke.....  ;))

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »
Thank you sooooooo much (funny discussion, anyway   I got my chips and coke.....
;D
Listen to argus and magna86 and your USB will be safe

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »
Archanaperth wait until Argus or Magna86 confirm you're problem is 100% resolved before you do anything further to make sure you're in the clear safe zone first.

Edit: you beat me Pondus.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

argus

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 05:30:27 PM »
@Archanaperth

Please post Mcshield and DDS logs.

Archanaperth

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
No probs  :)

Isn't there too much information?  :-[

argus

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »
OK system is clean.

If you have installed MCShield, ability to infect PC's via USB devices is equal to zero.
 You could be assured that USB devices will automatically be cleaned from any kind of worms. Only worms (type of malware) may be transmitted using memory card.

Settings MCShield:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 12:06:18 PM by argus »